Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards GS - Captains Prize - Dromoland Castle 12th September 2020 - 12:00

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭JJTippBhoy

Well done to all last weekend in Dromoland & to CharlieIRL. Captains prizes are hard to win so enjoy the moment. Am playing the course on Friday so any tips. It's been about 10 years since I was there before. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Well done on the win Charlie. Hopefully will get to one of the outings next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

JJTippBhoy wrote: »
    Well done to all last weekend in Dromoland & to CharlieIRL. Captains prizes are hard to win so enjoy the moment. Am playing the course on Friday so any tips. It's been about 10 years since I was there before. Thanks

Hit your putts hard......that is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Well I'd never played Dromoland before but it has been on my radar. I was lucky enough to play with a couple of great golfers in Alanm and RossyD, and an aul hacker in WGC ;) who hits a pretty mean strike, if he can just learn to control it around the greens. Not only are they great golfers, they are also great craic and very enjoyable playing partners. I though it was a fantastically well laid out course, with some cracking holes. The short par 4's are great and make a nice change. I did find it a tricky course to navigate the first time around it with a lot of blind shots, dog legs and difficult to judge layups. Playing it a few times would be a must if you want to figure it out and put a score together.
    The conditioning did let the course down though as it was very soft in comparison to a lot of other courses I have been playing lately. The greens were shocking, bumpy, soft, patchy and slower than the no. 37 bus. The tree right in front of the 16th tee is one of the mist stupid things I've ever seen on a golf course, not just because I hit it :o but also because the tee points you right at it and while there was loads of room on the right side of the fairway, the tee shot forces you well left and the only way of finding that room would be a wicked slice.

My game was in shape going into the round, but unfortunately for me on the day the highlight was watching the Musgraves truck reverse into some poor sod on the driveway :( On reflection I probably played ok though, I had a ball OB by about a yard on the par 5 6th. I took 42 putts on the day which included 7 3 putts and I made absolutely nothing from any kind of distance. My recent rounds i'e been averaging 30-32 putts. So thanking that into account, 29 points wasn't bad. It didn't help that I missed 3 tap ins from less than 2 feet which was ultimately the difference for me between winning and loosing.

But on to the winner, CharlieIRL. TBH there couldn't be a more deserving winner, a real foundation stone of the society and we wouldn't be where we are today without all of his efforts over the years. Massive congrats Charlie, I am truly delighted for you.

And finally Captain Space, it was a shame we didn't get to go dancin, but you still managed to pull it all together and push hard to make the year a huge success all things considered. It's a hard enough task at the best of times, but you should be especially proud of your efforts. Thank you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭doublecross

Great job this year space. I’d say it was hell this year with all that happened but you pulled it off.
    I’d like to say thanks to space, ballyk and big easy for the pleasure of their company but also for waiting for me on the first tee, I was running a little late.
    I had a brutal start, short game disappeared. Played very little golf this year. Think I had 4 points after 6 holes. Worst was couple of yards off green In 2 on short par 5 4th but still scratched the hole :mad:. Pulled it together and played last 12 in level par but just 1 point shy. Well done Charlie, you earned it.
    I was sure space had it won. Played great golf but that casual 3 putt from 1 foot on the 8th derailed him.
    I think big easy had his eye on the most golf prize. 2 balls into the hotel on the 6th confirmed it :D
    Ballyk played steady as always and wasn’t far off in the end. Just couldn’t get the pace of the greens.

Thanks for prize space, leather scorecard holder with boards engraved on front :)

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭doublecross

Seve OB wrote: »
    The tree right in front of the 16th tee is one of the mist stupid things I've ever seen on a golf course

I like that hole, requires you to shape tee shot. I’ve seen guys draw it around right side. More space up right than you realise. It’s definitely a course you need to play a few times. Greens were a bit rough, they had a lot of traffic on the Thursday and Friday (some classic fundraiser)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Alanm

I'd like to add my thanks to Space, you've done a fantastic job getting us out for any golf in an extremely difficult year. It's a pity we couldn't have a good night out to celebrate it.. we'll just have to double down next year! I'm sure Break80 will have a good spot for us to go out (congrats and good luck next year Break80!!)

Congrats Charlie! To echo what everyone else has said, it really couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. The smile on your face said it all!

For my round, I had the pleasure of playing with Seve, RossyD and WGC. Seve has been on a great run lately and, with a little bit of luck/getting the pace on the greens, he would've added another trophy to the collection. Myself and RossyD were both playing reasonably well and WCG will be a very good golfer once he gets a bit more practice around the greens. Looking back, I was standing on the 17th tee box with 30pts, a par on either of the last two would've allowed me to retain the trophy. Unfortunately I finished with a bad scratch and bogey on 18 with a 3putt :( Oh well, will have to try again next year.

3rd overall got me some much needed Jug points and the leather scorecard holder is lovely. Only found the ball marker in with the prize yesterday, thanks for that too - was an unexpected little bonus! See you all in Palmerstown next month hopefully!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Thanks for all the very kind words guys, means a lot. Still delighted here!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭a post punk

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Thanks for all the very kind words guys, means a lot. Still delighted here!!!

I’m only catching up on this thread now , we’ll done Charlie on the big win.
    Congratulations Break 80 on the captaincy , I’m sure you’ll put your own stamp on the society and look forward to the courses next year.
    PP

• Advertisement
Advertisement