Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scammed online please useful info

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

ciars20 wrote: »
    It was used on the website

Any kids or family have access to your laptop/tablet/phone?

No one hacked your gambling account, deposited money from your debit card and then played the slots with it, much more likely that someone picked up a device at home and played with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

So your saying, you created an account with Betway. Then someone hacked your account, took all your money but instead of stealing any of it they just spent it all on bets?

So the only person to win here is Betways?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Grueller Baby

In your thread you started on the bank of Ireland section of this website you state that BOI refunded you the first time you were ‘scammed’ but this is the second time you’ve been ‘scammed‘ on the same site.

Pardon me for being sceptical.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

They owed out millions to people as they were sued.
    They got sued for ignoring the gambling addicts to continue to bet.

It sounds like you logged into BetFair on a public machine, but didn't log off, and someone had fun with your account.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ciars20

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Hack what debit card details, if they are stored on your account within the site itself, as you said, they have access to the account then they have/had your debit card details.

Yet apparently the hackers weren't using your debit card details to purchase anything before you cancelled it except use it on the site itself.

Three things

1. Who keeps their savings for the future in their CA linked to their debit card.

2. Who gives their debit card details to a site without researching the site first and then discover through research that the site is well known for being dodgy.

3. Hackers/Scammers know that they have a limited time before even a normal person notices issues with their bank balance and spend fast on other sites not on a betting site that they can't get the funds from for their winnings.

On the site when ur card details are entered it doesn't give u the full debit card number just the last 4 digits. As this is stored on the site they can keep making transactions.they can only make transactions within that site as they don't have the full card number.

I researched the site after I got hacked and yes I should of researched it before hand. And yes I shouldn't of keeping my money in my CA. Trust me everything you guys are telling me I've heard it all. I'm getting no support from anybody regrading this situation I thought I would by coming on here. But no people just want to rub problems in ur face and blame u instead of helping u.

• Advertisement

In your thread you started on the bank of Ireland section of this website you state that BOI refunded you the first time you were ‘scammed’ but this is the second time you’ve been ‘scammed‘ on the same site.

Pardon me for being sceptical.

The first time I got scammed was through a message I received something different happened. This is the first time I got scammed on this site

On the site when ur card details are entered it doesn't give u the full debit card number just the last 4 digits. As this is stored on the site they can keep making transactions.they can only make transactions within that site as they don't have the full card number.

I researched the site after I got hacked and yes I should of researched it before hand. And yes I shouldn't of keeping my money in my CA. Trust me everything you guys are telling me I've heard it all. I'm getting no support from anybody regrading this situation I thought I would by coming on here. But no people just want to rub problems in ur face and blame u instead of helping u.

What do you want people to do?

Hackers are only interested in making money, so why would they waste time using up your money if they have no financial gain at the end of
    It?

The first time I got scammed was through a message I received something different happened. This is the first time I got scammed on this site

Was the first time also a betting site?

What support do you want? Neither the bank or the website will refund you because you were negligent in allowing your details to be hacked (in the unlikely event that that actually happened), it’s up to you to keep those details secure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

Maybe you should stay off the internet.......and stop gambling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

How would they get at your savings if they only had your debit card details? Surely you dont keep your savings in your current account?

This story is completely made up. A scammer bet your money on your behalf and lost it. Good one.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    What do you want people to do?

Hackers are only interested in making money, so why would they waste time using up your money if they have no financial gain at the end of
    It?

They obviously tried to transfer it to themself's but failed

Was the first time also a betting site?

No

You said you got a list of ip, which country are they in?

What device or devices did you use the website from?

They obviously tried to transfer it to themself's but failed

Does Betway not use double authentication? So when you top up account it sends you text or email etc?

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    How would they get at your savings if they only had your debit card details? Surely you dont keep your savings in your current account?

This story is completely made up. A scammer bet your money on your behalf and lost it. Good one.

Omg it is not made up I cannot stress this enough!!!. Please stop making these comments. Why would I waste my time posting this if its made up

Does Betway not use double authentication? So when you top up account it sends you text or email etc?

Nope

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

It was a gaming betting account.

I lost interest right there....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 MaureensFry

To me it sounds like you have a gambling problem and have closed accounts on the well known sites like Paddy Power, Boyles, Ladbrokes etc and went to Betway then.

Now your trying to get money back you lost on Betway.

I don't believe for a second that someone logged into your account and gambled away your money.

If you were gambling over a VPN, believe me when these sites know every single well known VPN company out there and know what IP's they use. Sounds to me like you wanted to gamble, used a VPN in case you lost and now want the money back.

There not stupid.

Nope

Do they ask for the cvv number for each top up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,260 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Have you got malware and virus protection on your laptop or desktop and done a scan?

If you cancelled your debit card and got it replaced with a new one it should have stopped it yes?

Nope

Really? Very strange as every other website would have double authentication or ask for 3 digits on back

Also the IP, which country?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Grueller Baby

Do they ask for the cvv number for each top up?

Yes. I know this because I occasionally use betway.

greasepalm wrote: »
    Have you got malware and virus protection on your laptop or desktop and done a scan?

If you cancelled your debit card and got it replaced with a new one it should have stopped it yes?

No I don't have that. And yes it stopped but I've been left with very little money

Yes. I know this because I occasionally use betway.

So someone managed to get the OPs cvv number AND their log in details for a betting site and then just gambled away their money.

Yeah, that never happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,260 ✭✭✭greasepalm

On the betway site is there a padlock before https

From Betway......seems fairly comprehensive

Once you have created an account and have become a Betway customer, additional information is processed on an on-going basis. Betway may also collect:

a record of all internet communications and details of your visits to our Websites;
    technical information relating to how you use our products, such as the type of device you are using and the browser you are using to access our Websites;
    payment information and details of transactions you carry out through the site, including your payment, withdrawals and wagers;
    communications with us or our employees, for examples, calls, emails, and messages sent through the live chat service;
    information regarding your location, including IP address and traffic information;
    any additional information you submit through the website for example on forums, chat rooms, comment sections or in response to quizzes and questionnaires;
    pages that you visited including what you have clicked on. Please see the Cookie Policy below for more information;.
    Sometimes we may also request photo ID, proof of address, and source of funds;
    Occasionally we may also access your public records (eg.: news articles, social media, forums, official records such as the electoral roll).

So someone managed to get the OPs cvv number AND their log in details for a betting site and then just gambled away their money.

Yeah, that never happened.

I don't know how it exactly happened bevause I am not a hacker but the Internet Is a dangerous place I have learned and there is mean people in the world

I don't know how it exactly happened bevause I am not a hacker but the Internet Is a dangerous place I have learned and there is mean people in the world

Who lives with you?

• Advertisement

Yes I got a letter with ip addresses and there was like 6 or 7 different ones and the site said they didn't see anything strange with my account.

Which country where the IPs in?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement