Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam videos thread 3.4 (embedded car dash-cams only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Which video are you on about if it's the last video I certainly hope you are joking

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Holding up traffic and causing head on collisions is certainly no joke to me.

If the driver is unable to keep up with the majority of the drivers, pull the hell over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

You've no idea what speed the merc was driving at, he could have been doing the speed limit. And there is no obligation for him to pull over into the hard shoulder. Only idiot in that video was the van driver for overtaking when it was unsafe to do so.

There was three vehicles behind him. That counts as deliberately holding up traffic to me and he should not be let away with this selfish behaviour.

Take the prick's licence away and make him do the driving test again. Let's see him pass the test while failing to make progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,341 ✭✭✭Damien360

I regularly let drivers pass me by hugging close to the hard shoulder when it’s safe to do so but I never, ever go to the hard shoulder. God knows what will pop out of a small roadside gate or minor road. In that clip, that appears to be a long sweeping bend. At any speed the Merc driver does not have a clear view ahead to even think about pulling over. Also, it seems to be a very busy farming period currently with an awful lot of tractors on the hard shoulders everywhere. Definitely not safe to pull over to the hard shoulder.

• Advertisement

It's not really expected to pull the whole way into the hard shoulder, even just hugging it or just inside it. Lots of people do this so as not to left traffic build up behind them. It's common courtesy, then you have these important ass hats in the Merc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I often have a queue of traffic behind me on the backroads driving home from work because nobody is capable of doing the speed limit anymore and almost everyone does 10-20 over the limit and end up causing traffic themselves by catching up to me. I couldn't give a **** if there's a queue behind me when doing 60 on a 60 road. I'm not the prick speeding.

And all the people on national roads can ask my arse too with their driving in the middle of the road trying to bully me to move into the hard shoulder. If you're in the middle of the road you can clearly see, the person in front has no obligation to move over. Nothing stopping someone moving to the edge of their lane and leaning their head over to see past the car in front to check it's clear to overtake. Funny how it's not an issue on other roads, but if there's a shoulder you're regularly bullied to move over.

Post edited by DaveyDave on

I've often blown and flashed drivers like you over to the hard shoulder on National Primary roads where there is a constant stream of oncoming traffic. Usually works. I think it's becoming more common thankfully.

These people are terrible drivers. They're not doing the speed limit that's why traffic is building behind them. They're scared shitless in the driving seat, there's no way they could even consider driving at the speed limit, no matter how good a road it is.

I do the speed limit so you wouldn't have any luck using your horn improperly or flashing at me. If you can't overtake someone on a national road then you're a bad driver and that's your problem, not mine.

If people want me to move over they make a point of driving in the middle of the road to make me aware that they're unhappy, at that rate they have a clear view of the road ahead to overtake safely but they never do. They just want to get their own way.

It's funny, I don't seem to have an issue when overtaking people on the same roads.

If you doing the speed limit, why are you regularly bullied to get out of the way? Me thinks, you're holding up traffic and too stubborn to admit that you can't keep up with the pace of the road and refuse to move over. Don't worry I'll get by slow coaches like you one way or the other. You can continue your little speed enforcement routine behind me.

It's because of people like you motorways were required to bring down the death toll between urban centres.

You're the worst kind of driver, delaying commerce, deliveries, sales, etc costing the country an absolute fortune in lost productivity.

• Advertisement

You are aware how common speeding is? I drive with cruise control set to 125kph, the car doesn't lose speed going uphill and I'm not the sort of driver to touch the brakes at the sign of an oncoming car. I have no issues overtaking slower drivers. People try bully me because they want to speed so rather than overtake and be on their way they'll speed up behind and sit in the middle tailgating to force me over.

Don't know where you're getting me trying to enforce the speed. I couldn't give a damn what speed anyone else is doing. I'd much rather someone flew past me than sitting on my rear at high speed.

Pretty funny that you think I'm the worst kind of driver for not being bullied into moving over while doing the speed limit. I think you're getting the wrong impression of me. I'm simply stating I don't move over for bullies. I come across slow drivers regularly on my commute and have no issues overtaking them and when I drive across Ireland once or twice a year I have no issue overtaking on these sort of roads, so people sitting behind me is nothing more than bullying.

How do you know he wasn't going the speed limit. The onus is on the overtaking driver not to overtake in a dangerous way which they did. So if a head on collision is no joke to you then how about the person who was overtaking dangerously

3 vehicles behind makes you think he was driving slow FFS. Maybe all those car were going the same speed as the merc driver and it was the overtaker who was driving dangerrously

So people driving safely on the speed limit and not letting speeders pass or the bad one. Maybe you should reconsider that

Don't be bitter just because you are not able to keep with the pace of traffic. Is that your sad little hobby, "not letting speeders pass"?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 633 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

Less of that snark, failure to do so will result in a 24hr ban

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

You're hilarious! If I'm on a 100kph road pulling a horse box I'm doing 80kph, legal limit for me to drive at. Fúcked if I am pulling over for some muppet because they are flashing me or driving in a manner to pressure me to move over. If you or someone else cannot safely overtake me then throw away your licence as you are a danger to everyone around.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,468 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

In my experience, you’re better off starting with the Garda Traffic Watch phone line, and you should get a call from the station to take it from there. It’s too easy for the guy at the desk to file it in the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Idiotic posts above aside, I would recommend pulling over for faster moving vehicles in your situation. Its not mandated by law but its nice to be courteous to other road users who wish to make progress.

I personally pull over in my camper when on a wider carriageway to allow people to pass in the situation they wouldnt be able to overtake normally due to oncoming traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

If you walk in it’s in the book, can’t go in the bin until it’s been reviewed by the sergeant, could go in the bin then of course.

• Advertisement

Oh I can keep up with traffic what I will not do is go faster then it for some people who are behind me and if they want to pass then they should do in a safe manner and any accident caused by any unsafe practice they do because they just want to go faster is there fault not mine or anyone doing the speed they are to do on a road

I had the lad at the desk scribble the reg on a yellow post-it and throw his eyes up to heaven when I suggested something more formal was warranted.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Psychedelic Hedgehog

If there's a car coming up behind me at speed, then I'll do my best within the law to let it by when it's convenient and safe. It's not up to me to police the actions of others. Also, as my mother in law used to say, it could be a doctor on a mission...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,660 ✭✭✭✭josip

I move into the hard shoulder if it's a decent shoulder and I'm the only one travelling on my side and it looks like there's oncoming traffic being held up by some plonker.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Wow, what happened to the dash cam thread? No one catch much on cam lately!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

I can imagine but they are bound to note the report in the day book, what happens later is up to whoever is in charge, you just might catch a good one or not, but that’s no different to a portal or hotline.

The difference in using TrafficWatch is that it gets recorded on Pulse straight away. That's what the folks on the phone do. That's their sole function.

It's a bit different at the desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭boardz

She cut me off no indication causing me to brake then changing lanes multiple times zero indication.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Did you linger alongside as you came up to the truck? I would!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,356 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

People are beyond lazy using indicators on motorways. It’s painful

Advertisement