Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help! House Alarm won't switch off

• 06-12-2009 11:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

My parent's tenants have apparently got themselves into a situation where they can't turn off the house alarm. Apparently this was the first time they'd used it, and I'm guessing they maybe got the combination wrong a number of times when they came back, and the keypad has locked them out?

Anyway, the alarm is ringing off and won't stop. Apparently they have cut the electricity, but I'm not sure if this has had any effect.

Beyond cutting the electricity, if it continues, is there any other advice we can give them? The parents are away at the moment so they can only help them out over the phone. They've asked me to try and find any advice online, but a google hasn't helped much.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated! :) Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭altor

LookingFor wrote: »
    Hey all,

My parent's tenants have apparently got themselves into a situation where they can't turn off the house alarm. Apparently this was the first time they'd used it, and I'm guessing they maybe got the combination wrong a number of times when they came back, and the keypad has locked them out?

This is correct, if you enter the code wrong a number of times the alarm activates and locks you out till you enter the proper code.
    Anyway, the alarm is ringing off and won't stop. Apparently they have cut the electricity, but I'm not sure if this has had any effect.

Beyond cutting the electricity, if it continues, is there any other advice we can give them? The parents are away at the moment so they can only help them out over the phone. They've asked me to try and find any advice online, but a google hasn't helped much.

There is a back up battery in the panel that will keep the alarm going till the battery dies, only thing you can do is disconnect this also but then the external bell will sound till its back up dies too. Do you know what type of alarm is installed ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Hey altor,

Thanks very much for your reply.

I'm afraid I am not sure of the model/make. It's my brother's house... I called him and he's no idea :|

The tenants have cut the electricity and it has stopped. But when they put the electricity back on it goes off again. They're probably going to leave the electricity off overnight, then turn it back on tomorrow and see if it turns itself off after a while, when they're in work.

It's not clear if they already let it go for 20 minutes, which is apparently the common cut-off time for alarms.

I hope it will, the folks won't be back till Wednesday. Brother's out of the country too.

Fingers crossed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

rifle

Hey altor,

Thanks very much for your reply.

I'm afraid I am not sure of the model/make. It's my brother's house... I called him and he's no idea :|

The tenants have cut the electricity and it has stopped. But when they put the electricity back on it goes off again. They're probably going to leave the electricity off overnight, then turn it back on tomorrow and see if it turns itself off after a while, when they're in work.

It's not clear if they already let it go for 20 minutes, which is apparently the common cut-off time for alarms.

I hope it will, the folks won't be back till Wednesday. Brother's out of the country too.

Fingers crossed!

Your welcome,

Do you know what the keypad looks like ? Alarms installed up to standard should turn off after 15 minutes. If you need any help i am alway here..

mink_man wrote: »
    rifle

That would be handy if you never wanted to use the alarm again :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement