Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 RedRaider0

bilston wrote: »
    Where is Max Deegan these days?

Injured...or house hunting in Belfast?

Neither.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

bilston wrote: »
    Where is Max Deegan these days?

Injured...or house hunting in Belfast?

They probably feel they have to have van der Flier in the XXIII at the moment because he was starting for Ireland recently and because he's the "fourth choice backrower" or somesuch.

If Connors consolidates his position as the premier openside I can see Deegan moving on to the bench for the top XXIII due to his greater versatility.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

They probably feel they have to have van der Flier in the XXIII at the moment because he was starting for Ireland recently and because he's the "fourth choice backrower" or somesuch.

If Connors consolidates his position as the premier openside I can see Deegan moving on to the bench for the top XXIII due to his greater versatility.

I think it's very possible this could just be a horses for courses selection (with Vunipola in mind) as opposed to Connors leapfrogging VdF. Both their performances have been excellent tho, to be fair to them.

aloooof wrote: »
    I think it's very possible this could just be a horses for courses selection (with Vunipola in mind) as opposed to Connors leapfrogging VdF. Both their performances have been excellent tho, to be fair to them.

True. I was watching the highlights with Vunipola scoring off the back of the scrum last season. Connors is probably the best bet at stopping that. Does he succeed in stopping Vunipola short of the line in that scenario? It's a tough ask.

Once they have Connors's offensive tackling in the team I can see coaches being loath to dispense with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

OldRio wrote: »
    17 euro a month on Now TV. Sports extra.
    Or alternative means.

€10 for a day pass, although €17 could be worth if for the remaining matches.

Anyone know what matches does C4 have for the remaining fixtures? I've already got Sky Sports and Eir Sports as it is, and now with no pubs, I won't be watching them over some pints at my local.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Hurrache wrote: »

Anyone know what matches does C4 have for the remaining fixtures? I've already got Sky Sports and Eir Sports as it is, and now with no pubs, I won't be watching them over some pints at my local.

Think I read semi next week is on c4

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

salmocab wrote: »
    Think I read semi next week is on c4

Virgin Media One has the semi too should Leinster get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭kennedmc

Deegan's a good player but I think he's a notch below the others and going forward I can't see him getting much game time in our important matches.

Reckon he could go to Connacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Only 6 Saracens players are playing in the same position from last years final.
    Significantly weaker team compared to 2019.
    Predict a 10-15 point win for Leinster at least

2020|Position|2019
    Elliot Daly|
    |Alex Goode
    Alex Lewington|
    |Liam Williams
    Duncan Taylor|
    |Alex Lozowski
    Brad Barritt (C)|
    |Brad Barritt (C)
    Sean Maitland|
    |Sean Maitland
    Alex Goode|
    |Owen Farrell
    Richard Wigglesworth|
    |Ben Spencer
    Mako Vunipola|
    |Mako Vunipola
    Jamie George|
    |Jamie George
    Vincent Koch|
    |Titi Lamositele
    Maro Itoje|
    |Will Skelton
    Tim Swinson|
    |George Kruis
    Mike Rhodes|
    |Maro Itoje
    Jackson Wray|
    |Jackson Wray
    Billy Vunipola|
    |Billy Vunipola
    |Replacements|
    Tom Woolstencroft|
    |Joe Gray
    Richard Barrington|
    |Richard Barrington
    Alec Clarey|
    |Vincent Koch
    Callum Hunter-Hill|
    |Nick Isiekwe
    Calum Clark|
    |Schalk Burger
    Aled Davies|
    |Richard Wigglesworth
    Manu Vunipola|
    |Nick Tompkins
    Dom Morris|
    |David Strettle

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭pummice

I dont have BTSport, anyone know if the highlights of the match are on TV tonight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭kennedmc

Sorry for you the silly question but can just I sign up to now tv for free and pay a tenner to watch match?

Also is there a limitation of screen casting it with Apple TV etc. thanks

You just sign up for the pass and away you go. I'm holding out as long as possible to see if I can find alternative means but ultimately I'll get the pass I'd say.
    Dunno about Apple TV, but it supports Chromecast.
    Edit, Apple TV is on it
    https://help.nowtv.com/ie/article/what-devices-can-i-use-to-watch-now-tv[) Url]

pummice wrote: »
    I dont have BTSport, anyone know if the highlights of the match are on TV tonight?

I've looked everywhere and there doesn't seem to be any on 'normal' TV.

Here's the remaining fixtures and tv coverage.
    The semi final, it was mentioned Virgin get the one involving Leinster if they get through.
    And the final, who gets that?
    [Url] https://www.epcrugby.com/champions-cup/matches/live-tv-matches/[/Url]

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Here's the remaining fixtures and tv coverage.
    The semi final, it was mentioned Virgin get the one involving Leinster if they get through.
    And the final, who gets that?
    [Url] https://www.epcrugby.com/champions-cup/matches/live-tv-matches/[/Url]

Pretty sure in previous years the final was on all broadcasters simultaneously?

kennedmc wrote: »
    Deegan's a good player but I think he's a notch below the others and going forward I can't see him getting much game time in our important matches.

Reckon he could go to Connacht.

I reckon Deegan could be in quite a good place moving forward, despite current appearances. Doris being moved to blindside is a welcome development from his perspective, and Conan has been rather injury-prone over the years. It wouldn't take very much for things to open up for him. I see him superseding van der Flier as the sub backrower next season because he's more of an impact player ball in hand and is more versatile.

Connacht have Boyle and Papali'i for no. 8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

If Leinster can get to the semi final, it will be shown FTA on Virgin Media which is great news.

It's only great news if neither Toland nor Mark Robson are commentating for Virgin! :p

(Which reminds me that Robbo will probably doing the Toulouse - Ulster game tomorrow, Gawd help us.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 RedRaider0

Deegans turned down many moves already, he has over 60 caps at 23. He is a relatively late developer physically and in 2 years time he could easily be 1st choice number 8 if Doris stays at 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Well that was harrowing. Whilst I think Saracens got away with murder, particularly on borderline high hits, they were well deserving of the victory. Their scrum dominance and defence for 50 minutes was the winning of the game for them.

Also, I think this game might be the ending of a few Leinster forwards as top level operators. Toner couldn't hack the physicality and Cronin, even though he's just back from injury, isn't getting any younger and failed to make an impact. Perhaps Healy as well.

We actually may have let that game slip away from us too. After Larmour's try you could tell that Saracens were fatiguing and with 17 minutes left on the clock there was still plenty of time to get another score. But yet another turnover on an attacking lineout maul killed us.

Thoughts on Robin McBryde?

Lineout has been poor. Our Maul was shocking and our scrum fell apart. I find it hard to believe that there weren't silly buggers at scrum time but I feel that our forwards as a ball playing group of forwards are best in class but the set piece has looked disjointed and innefective.

Given that it cost us the game today - has this been a good coaching appointment for Leinster?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Sick of Irish, Munster and Leinster packs getting thoroughly bent over and bullied by Sarries and England for the guts of 2 years. Irish rugby has no answer to their pack and won’t for a good few years. Tough to watch but pretty predictable at this stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Lineout has been poor. Our Maul was shocking and our scrum fell apart. I find it hard to believe that there weren't silly buggers at scrum time but I feel that our forwards as a ball playing group of forwards are best in class but the set piece has looked disjointed and innefective.

Given that it cost us the game today - has this been a good coaching appointment for Leinster?

Set piece was one of the most pivotal parts the last couple seasons, giving us a platform to launch off of and there's been a complete collapse since the restart in both.

Looks like there's been a complete change in calls or strategy that just haven't worked out.

On another note, JGP has to be ahead of McGrath for the starting shirt at this point.

I'm sure I read on Planet Rugby that Welsh fans were thankful he'd left their set up. Their forward play was very inconsistent during his tenure and set piece routinely terrible. Essentially when they were good they were great, but if things went wrong they fell to pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,289 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Would Scott Fardy have made a difference today?

His ferocity and presence wouldn't have gone amiss today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

Not to knee jerk react or anything but are there any promising scrummaging looseheads in the academy?

Healy isn't getting younger and Byrne isn't a scrummaging loosehead. Two international level THs with loads of years left, I'm not saying Healy is finished but we could do with someone coming behind him who's international level.

Don't know that I'm a huge fan of the re-flip Porter idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,957 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Saracens had to do very little to defeat the maul too. They only had about 4 or 5 players in, yet managed to stop it dead every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Would Scott Fardy have made a difference today?

His ferocity and presence wouldn't have gone amiss today.

Think Bairds impact more than justifies his inclusion, perhaps for Toner

Shows the importance of a scrum coach who can get his eight to perform when it really matters. Even though Leinster were comprehensively beaten by Toulon in the quarters in 2014 the scrum was rock solid. Feek was a gem of a coach.

Leinster potentially win that game fairly comfortably if they get parity in the scrum. Saracens didn't have anything else in attack apart from the move Good scored off. It was just box kicks all the time like Munster. The tackling from Leinster was really good and stopped Saracens getting momentum.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Not to knee jerk react or anything but are there any promising scrummaging looseheads in the academy?

Healy isn't getting younger and Byrne isn't a scrummaging loosehead. Two international level THs with loads of years left, I'm not saying Healy is finished but we could do with someone coming behind him who's International level.

Milne is a decent prospect but too early to tell. Charlie Ward in the sub academy is probably a bit too short at 5'9. Other than that there's no real standouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Milne is a decent prospect but too early to tell. Charlie Ward in the sub academy is probably a bit too short at 5'9. Other than that there's no real standouts.

Charlie Ward is in the Connacht academy now.

• Advertisement

Ryan put in a very similar performance to the one against England last March. Very physical and aggressive and our best forward by far. But still outclassed by Itoje and dominated in the opening 25 minutes.

I'll forever love Toner and everything he's fine for Leinster, but it's clear that he doesn't have the physicality to take in the top sides, and when the lineout and maul is malfunctioning he doesn't offer enough.

Baird was very impressive when he came on. Brought an extra physicality that Leinster missed in that first half. Think it's time for him to start alongside Ryan in the biggest games.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement