Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone Courses

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Unknownability

searay wrote: »
    You'll find Athlone and Mount Temple are too but Glasson is currently reduced to 12 holes (and maybe less at times I hear) as they are doing a major redevelopment over there.

I'm currently a member in Glasson but would considering moving due to the redevelopment plans and the uncertainty over what that entails. Athlone or Moate would be my preferred options as they are within 20 minutes of where I live.

I'd appreciate some feedback from members of those clubs on how easy or difficult it is to get a slot on Saturday or Sunday timesheets.[/QUOTE]

What have you heard are the future plans? I've heard so many rumours not sure what to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭searay

I'm currently a member in Glasson but would considering moving due to the redevelopment plans and the uncertainty over what that entails. Athlone or Moate would be my preferred options as they are within 20 minutes of where I live.

I'd appreciate some feedback from members of those clubs on how easy or difficult it is to get a slot on Saturday or Sunday timesheets.

What have you heard are the future plans? I've heard so many rumours not sure what to believe.[/quote]

In August, the owners gave the members 2 days notice that the last 6 holes would be closed for the rest of the year, until May for redevelopment. Work is well underway but I still haven’t seen a full layout plan so I’ve no idea if it’s an improvement on the 6 great holes that were there.

The work seems motivated by making room for re-development of the hotel. Signs for a planning application have just been put up. The course isn’t mentioned presumably because planning isn’t required.

I’ve no idea if there will be changes to the first 12 holes but I think there is room for improvement to those holes.

Being reduced to 12 holes is a pain and it’s an expensive 12 hole course.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Head a bit further and play Portumna.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Signs for a planning application have just been put up. The course isn’t mentioned presumably because planning isn’t required.

I just checked there and the plans haven't been submitted to the council yet or its not on their system just yet.

i was out that way 3 weeks ago, some work being done on the 16 & 17th holes. I'll see if i still have the pics.

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I just checked there and the plans haven't been submitted to the council yet or its not on their system just yet.

i was out that way 3 weeks ago, some work being done on the 16 & 17th holes. I'll see if i still have the pics.[/quote

The changes to date on the course are all on the last 6, Work started on the 18th in the last fortnight and they are building a new green on the left half of the driving range.

I’m more interested in finding out more about membership options with Athlone and Moate. Portumna is close to an hour from my home, so not for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

You'll find Athlone and Mount Temple are too but Glasson is currently reduced to 12 holes (and maybe less at times I hear) as they are doing a major redevelopment over there.

I'd appreciate some feedback from members of those clubs on how easy or difficult it is to get a slot on Saturday or Sunday timesheets.

Re: Athlone - it depends what time of the day you want to go.

Saturday morning fills up pretty quickly as members play from 7:30am-10am at 10 minute intervals and then after that we usually have societies until about 1pm. The timesheet is usually relatively free from 1pm onwards though and you'll always get a game, whether you want solo or with others.

Sunday morning again fills up pretty quickly from 7:30am-10:30am and after that you'll get a timeslot pretty easily.

We play in four's at the weekends, unless there is one of our 6 Golfer of the Year competitions on, in which case its 3's.

Normal Full Membership costs about 900 for the year, but with Covid and stuff going on at the moment, there could be other offers out there for new members. You can ring the pro shop on 09064 92073 (click option 2 on the answering machine system)

Course is unreal shape at the moment. We have a new course manager this year and he's doing a super job on the place. Course is still tough, but its very enjoyable to play all the same :D And our catering is top notch!

Rikand wrote: »
    Re: Athlone - it depends what time of the day you want to go.

Saturday morning fills up pretty quickly as members play from 7:30am-10am at 10 minute intervals and then after that we usually have societies until about 1pm. The timesheet is usually relatively free from 1pm onwards though and you'll always get a game, whether you want solo or with others.

Sunday morning again fills up pretty quickly from 7:30am-10:30am and after that you'll get a timeslot pretty easily.

We play in four's at the weekends, unless there is one of our 6 Golfer of the Year competitions on, in which case its 3's.

Normal Full Membership costs about 900 for the year, but with Covid and stuff going on at the moment, there could be other offers out there for new members. You can ring the pro shop on 09064 92073 (click option 2 on the answering machine system)

Course is unreal shape at the moment. We have a new course manager this year and he's doing a super job on the place. Course is still tough, but its very enjoyable to play all the same :D And our catering is top notch!

Thanks for the response. I’d be in the 7:30 to 8:30 category at weekends. When you say it fills fast, is it within an hour of the timesheet going up or is it more flexible than that?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Thanks for the response. I’d be in the 7:30 to 8:30 category at weekends. When you say it fills fast, is it within an hour of the timesheet going up or is it more flexible than that?

Saturday is not too bad. You'd be okay to get on at the time for a day or two, sometimes later. I have often gotten a game saturday early with a day or two to go. And not only that, but you get frequent drop outs in the morning slots saturdays, so if you had to wait till nearer the weekend, there's still a decent chance you'd get a spot for yourself with a premade.

Sunday fills up much faster. Pretty much fastest finger first gets the slots at that time

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Moate is busier than it used to be but there are usually spots early Saturday and Sunday. We've started playing in 3 balls from 7-9.30 to cater for the increased demand for an early quick round while still respecting the fact that a lot of members enjoy playing in fourballs.

Membership is €600 and that will cover you from now to February 2022.

Advertisement