Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NaNoWriMo 2018

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Wrote about 10k on a story; then got frustrated, junked it and started again, writing about 5k. So ... can I say 15k? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭km85264

It's great to hear that people aren't too worried about the 50k target and are still engaged at this point. That makes me feel better about the whole initiative.
    Well done on the 28k Hesthea, that's a very impressive total. I guess the trick now is to wind down a bit come Saturday but not stop altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,533 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I got to about 8k. With work commitments, family commitments and no free weekends, November was a bit of a write off (pun intended). :)

I'm still going to work away on the story in my spare time, but at my own pace from now on.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

pixelburp wrote: »
    Wrote about 10k on a story; then got frustrated, junked it and started again, writing about 5k. So ... can I say 15k? :D

Yes!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I also got a little side-tracked just trying to write out a few random scenes, unrelated to that 10k blob; they were a few vignettes I couldn't stop thinking of, so took the time out to scribble them down.

But that's me to a tee: start out with one brilliant idea; get a few thousands words down; lose steam & heart; declare the idea rubbish; get distracted by newer, shinier idea :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

I am on about 11k, also a lot less than my last attempt in 2016, but it is 11k more than I wrote in October or September or (insert month of choice) and it has thrown up some new ideas and new characters so I'm happy(ish).
    I see quite a few people at or about the target so it can be done...maybe next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Hesthea

I also got a little side-tracked just trying to write out a few random scenes, unrelated to that 10k blob; they were a few vignettes I couldn't stop thinking of, so took the time out to scribble them down.

But that's me to a tee: start out with one brilliant idea; get a few thousands words down; lose steam & heart; declare the idea rubbish; get distracted by newer, shinier idea :D

The advice i could give t you about that is to not bin it. Just keep it in a different folder. Maybe you will end up connecting the two or takes pieces from one to add to the other.

Mr E wrote: »
    I got to about 8k. With work commitments, family commitments and no free weekends, November was a bit of a write off (pun intended). :)

I'm still going to work away on the story in my spare time, but at my own pace from now on.

That is the best plan. After November i will keep writing it but at a slower pace too. There are also things i want to change and others i want to do so that i can advance with it.

I saw a few bullet journals in which people gather their ideas, character info and not only in it and that might me help a lot in keeping my story on its tracks. Not to mention is also an idea of when i feel like my chara doesn't feel quite right i can always read the info about his/ her personality traits, things they like/ dislike. How they would act in certain situations to better understand them and don't lose them along the plot x)

Hesthea wrote: »
    The advice i could give t you about that is to not bin it. Just keep it in a different folder. Maybe you will end up connecting the two or takes pieces from one to add to the other.

Ah, for better or worse everything I write is on Google Drive so I don't bin anything, even if abandoned :) I have come back to old stuff, but it's maintaining the mental interest / enthusiasm that does for me every time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭km85264

Glad to hear so many positive stories. My advice would be: take a few days off then get right back into the daily writing habit. Set yourselves a really easy target, 100 words say, barely a paragraph, but do it _every_ day. Ramp that up to 250 words over time. It's getting into the habit, and staying there, that's the hardest.
    Best of luck :-)

Ah, for better or worse everything I write is on Google Drive so I don't bin anything, even if abandoned :) I have come back to old stuff, but it's maintaining the mental interest / enthusiasm that does for me every time!

I think that ist when our story and characters start to have a life of their own that does not follow our own ideas that we start to lose the interest in it. We imagine one way but along the way something else happens that changes its course and we start to get frustrated because we don't want to go back to fix it which only deepens the differences and the trajectory of the plot/ characters.

Advertisement