Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just got a call from microsoft

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Mr.S wrote: »
    I strung one along for half an hour until he got me to download the remote login program and I said "but I don't have internet in my house" and he got angry and told me I was wasting his time hehehe
    I've never gotten a call, but if I did I'd try and do what you did. Same as talking to chuggers to tie them up, it's a gift to your fellow man :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Got a call from one earlier today, I was busy eating my dinner so I wasn't really concentrating but he didn't like it when I pretended to have difficulty doing the windows plus R combination.

He told me to F... OFF several times:D then hung up!

He must have been wound up a few times before he got to me, as the call only lasted a few minutes.

Number he called from was 0024429987.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭kikidelvin

I used to get emails telling me my Microsoft o.s.was full of virus and bugs and to log on to their site to fix everything.Very strange as I was running a Linux system at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭North&South

We've been getting these for a while now - depending on how busy I am, I tell him we don't have a computer, or I ask him how my phone line can help as our internet is via satellite.

He last called 22 mins ago - no, wait.... 24 mins ago - and he put me on hold :D
    And the call is still open & active & on hold lol And yes, he's also calling from 0024429987

I've just left the phone on the side & and am continuing my browsing etc.

The annoying thing is that we should be able to block single numbers from our eircom phones, I certainly do on my Skype account and I'm now considering ditching the eircom phone line & just sticking with my mobile & Skype account for the pitiful amount of calls I take & make.

Pretty soon we'll all be saying: Ahhh... land lines - they were a piece of history :D

And - we're on 26 mins now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Volthar

Assholes been calling me over last couple of days from a hidden number when I was not at home. This morning I answered a call at 6.30am.... When I told him My PC does not have Windows he just hung up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Breizhoneg

Had a call from a guy with a Indian accent, sounded as if he was in some kind of restaurant calling from Microsoft yeah right.

Told him straight, sorry got no ticket opened and hanged up

Loads of people could fall for it so they should do teh following:

What should you do if you have been caught out by a scam?
    If you think you have been the victim of a scam or fraud and you have given someone your bank account or credit card information, inform your bank or credit card company immediately so they can tell you what action they need to take. This might include putting a stop to your account, cancelling your credit or debit card or stopping a transaction from going through your account.

You should also contact the Garda Bureau of Fraud Investigations on (01) 6663777 or contact your local Garda station immediately.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

My elderly uncle gets these calls. He tells them he doesn't need new windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

For the record. The scam lives on. Just got this call.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

But we offer better providings...

hqdefault.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭tech

I got a pop on my pc that I use only for downloads months ago!

This pc is used only for downloading and in separate VLAN / and firewalled away from my main network.

I work in IT, so I booted up from a BOOT CD , I had the hard drive removed So they were only connected to an OS from the boot CD!! and called them back and let him work away for a few hours!! he got very irate with me but he wasn't very technical!!

I called from skype so no call back number for them! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

they're still at it!
    Had a call a few minutes ago and maybe about 6 weeks ago too. Persistent scoundrels...

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭david65

yep me too! one call last week and another about 10 mins ago, they are back again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

david65 wrote: »
    yep me too! one call last week and another about 10 mins ago, they are back again

They never left, these people are pure scum.

I couldn't count the amount of phone calls i've recieved from them over the years.
    Play stupid with them, disconnect your internet and keep them on the phone for as long as possible. Then give them a piece of your mind before the end of the call. The longer you spend distracting them the less time they have to scam other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

When they rang me and asked me to log on and download Team viewer I asked would I have to do this for all the computers in the Garda Station? He hung up...strange fella

I've have dreams of going into these call centres and just unloading an ak47 on these people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Fracture wrote: »
    I've have dreams of going into these call centres and just unloading an ak47 on these people.

If you did that then how would you ever expect to get rid of the virus on your machine?

ThunderCat wrote: »
    If you did that then how would you ever expect to get rid of the virus on your machine?

haha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Got a call yesterday from them, he asked me to run "cmd" then "assoc". When I told him the CLSID number at the end didn't match the number he called out (I lied) twice he just hung up.

They are messing with caller ID on the phones too, making it appear like a local number.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭richiepurgas

Got a call a few years ago, but had already been warned about them. Asked him to hang on while I turned pc on. Put the phone down and could hear him shouting every few minutes until, after about ten minutes, he hung up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Got a call yesterday from them, he asked me to run "cmd" then "assoc". When I told him the CLSID number at the end didn't match the number he called out (I lied) twice he just hung up.

They are messing with caller ID on the phones too, making it appear like a local number.

They are using Skype to go numbers make it look like they are calling from Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

My call showed 'unknown number' so there must be a few of them at it.

I remember a few years ago being told by a telecom tech that if you didn't hang up, you'd tie that particular line up on them and every time they picked up their phone they'd be still connected, I don't think that applies any longer. afaik the line disconnects after 10 minutes.

I'f love to know how we could push back at them, maybe a very loud whistle or something.

:D

Advertisement