Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

given $1 billion dollars

• 11-04-2002 11:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭

what would you do and why .......

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭JOOROWNED

travel the world. pay off all my debts. get married in style . invite and pay for all my alcobuds friends to come over for the wedding and some other net friends ive known for years . Donate about 50 million to cancer research , 50 to asthma research and another 50 million to aids research .

Would but myself a house in Ireland a nice big house . Give my mom and dad anything they wanted and set up all my family with enough money for life. Probably buy some houses in lets see . Miami . japan . sydney .
    Chicago .,Andorra . sweden somewhere .

Id buy some pubs in Ireland and some in america and have lots of kicking partys . Would invest heavily in alcobuds and the redevoplment of it and also make mmoderating it a paid job Lots of major advertising worldwide .

Thats about it for now .... oh yeah i would buy a dog , lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭daftbegger

Populate it with blank sites, and laugh as you lot try and find real lives!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Buy a studio, a hell of a lot of guitars and amps, and lots of spare ribs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭fi

well first i would pay off all my debts, the buy my dad the car of his dreams and send my parents off on the orient express which has been thier life long dream

then bring my children and a few friends to florida for a month.

but a new house and new car, probally a BMW.

get an ISND connection :):):)

a anew wardrobe for the family.

also probally try to convice my parents to move to Wales and buy them a house thier near Dad's family, as now they are on the south east coast of the UK mile from everyone.

I wouldnt give up my job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

Go on a drink and drugs bender, having both the money to fund the bender, and the money to pay for rehab and any resulting needed operations.
    that is all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭four_star

i'd offer brad pitt 20 million for one night with his wife.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by fi

get an ISND connection :):):)

Hehe, I'd just lay down a fibre optic direct connection to the net for myself, and start up a small rebellious telco called IOFFL :D.

I'd buy a huge gaf close to Dublin city centre, and a helicopter to avoid the traffic. Get married, populate my garage with some of the most unfeasibly expensive cars available. Buy houses for my 3 brothers and pay off my parent's mortgage(they wouldn't wanna move).

Of course the house would be the piece de resistance. Full-size studio, full-size swimming pool, chill-out (dope smoking) room, mini cinema.

I don't know, ppl here seem to be a bit conservative. it $1 billion (1,000 million) ffs.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Buy a private jet and travel the world in it - buying a home in every country that I liked. Give some to charity I guess - surely no one needs that much cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

i'd buy a new rabbit

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

too bloody many things to do...

bye a small island somewhere in the tropics ... and retire...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭Khynareth

Buy a house to put all my books in.
    Close the house
    Buy a bike and go travel around the world

'cose there are so many places I haven't seen yet, and so many cool people yet to meet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

I'd take it all out in notes and burn every last one of them. Then I'd make my money back touring the international talk show scene charging the various media money for my story.

• Site Banned Posts: 334 ✭✭scuzzy

Buy a private jet and travel the world in it
    It's not actually that expensive...

http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/CGIBIN/PERLCON.PL

"The L39 is a Russian Air Force jet. Fairly similar to our RAF Hawk which sells at around £5 million, at only £150,000 it's a bargain!

Simple to fly, this sporty little number attains jet speeds and has the added attraction of BRI rocket assisted ejection seats for getting rid of annoying back seat drivers. The cockpit is fully air-conditioned as standard and the windscreen is anti-iced for those cold morning starts. "

Me, I would buy a studio, make a record and buy 50 million copies of it.:)
    Then I would get absolutely whacked out of my mind and donate the rest of it to charity in the sprit of peace and love... (probably)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭sisob

get a hellicopter that looks like the delta flyer - fly into a star trek convention and laugh as I become a god

build a house with wall's made of fishtanks

get a pet snow leoard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

I'd use it to pay off my next phone bill.

gg thx eircom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

go into a shop and buy 29 cornettos...
    cn this chick today doing that., got hungry:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by scuzzy
    http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/CGIBIN/PERLCON.PL"The L39 is a Russian Air Force jet..."

"The service you have tried to access is not available at this time, please try again later."

I don't know about that particular plane, but the L39 was actually manufactured in the Czech Republic (I think it is out of production).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 che

kill my self within a year, through a combo of drink and cocaine over indulgence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

TBH I don't think I'm mature enough to handle so much money. Even though I'm nearly 22. But what I do know is that I would have enough money to pay my parents back for all the years they made sacrifices for me.

I would then focus my money on fulfilling the dreams of friends and family. I know bringing a smile to their faces, would be greatest feeling ever. Sometimes it's the most simple of things, that don't involve money, but unfortunately, they usually do.

Even though right now, I don't plan to have kids. But I have changed so much over the past few years, God only knows what the future holds. So in the event that I would spawn my next generation, I could support their needs financially.

I am probably taking all of this too seriously, when I look at the responses from other people. Where's it's been: I'd buy this luxury item, and that luxury item etc. I don't need that much money, and people, things I care out do, so I could definately see myself donating it to some charity like the families who lost someone from the tragic events of September 11th, and Cancer research. :)

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 785 ✭✭✭zenith

Give 50 million people a clean water supply.

And get Lovness in Malawi that damn operation.

Then, I'd probably get the garden done by someone else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭lazer

be realistic...if u had 1 Billion Dollars , what could u possibly want... if anything, everything would come to you :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'd buy Wolves and set up my own flat-rate ISP!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Uphamizer

That would be around enough to pay off all your ma's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭sisob

Originally posted by Uphamizer
    That would be around enough to pay off all your ma's.

<slap>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Sheesh people where' your imagination?? :rolleyes:

I'd buy a big recording company, make a single of myself singing "lollipoppp, lollipop oh lala lollipop etc.. etc.. " (a *really* irritating song", get it published and then buy 100,000 copies of it every week myself or whatever is needed to get it to number 1!!

And then I'll keep buying them until I've smashed all records for most single sold, longest at no1 etc. etc.. :D

Just imagine the news week-in week-out... MTV would be sick and it'd make a constant mockery of the usual crap thats in the charts :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Build a really big house, network everything! (firewall to prevent ftp of chocolate moose :p)

get an aul E3 line for internet yummyness

Buy an island somewhere in the mediteranian

give a bit to some charity, make a big fuss about it too ;)

pay off family's/ friends debts, give em something to live on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Jpaulik

I'd set aside half of the money and start up a childrens charity. I wouldn't trust any of the other charities out there.

I'd give proper broadband to my neighbourhood.

I'd buy a few houses around the world. Paris, Tokyo, New York, and somewhere in the Indian Ocean.

I'd start my own political party and run for election. It would probably only be a minor party but we'll more than likely be needed to prop up a government and we'll have loads of influence.

I'd get a large team of shotshot lawyers and get them to argue and question all the stupid laws in this country.

And in my second year as a billionaire I'd go on holiday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

I'd probably give at least half of it away. I go crazy with 1600 a month. I'd hate to think what I'd be like with that much money.

But a wish list:
    * Harrier Jumpjet and a light aircraft
    * Own small runway
    * Large (20 acre?) grounds and a large house
    * Fully kitted out recording studio (in my house)
    * That crazy >1000bhp Bugatti
    * Huge, high definition TV screen and a movie theatre

Or
    * Down-payment on a B2 Stealth Bomber

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Yurmasyurda

I would look after all my friends and most of my family, buy a big house and have 365 holiday days a year :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

I would probably buy every cd I could ever possibly want. I'd get a huge house.
    I'd also get an s600, sl55 amg, cl600, 911 carrera, 360 spider, and some sort of lexus and bentley just because I've always wanted one of them.
    Give a load to charity too.
    Then I'd spend the rest on coke (as in the cola) and sweets :), well after getting a savage broadband connection and a savage computer.
    Also a home cinema dealy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭BeatTun

i'd go for a pint...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I'd buy houses in places I liked - not many houses, not huge houses, just places to call home in different parts of the world. I'd buy a few cars, but not that many - you can only drive one at a time, after all. I'd put aside enough money that myself, my family and my loved ones could live comfortably for the rest of our lives and never have to worry about money.

Then I'd find ways to get rid of the rest of it on things I thought were worthwhile, and I'd set out to do the things I want to do with my life. I can't possibly use a billion quid on myself - I guess I'd spend a few million and put the rest to use in places it was needed.

Advertisement