Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cull of seals proposed

• 28-09-2020 3:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭

I cannot post links; just read a news item on online rte news of the proposal to cull seals in Cork and Kerry; overfishing and they blame the seals. So angry. Could someone please post the link? Thank you.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I read about this yesterday. It's disgusting, they cannot possibly be serious proposals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Humans: over fish the oceans to the point where we're competing with wild predator piscivores

Seal: exists

Humans: THEY EATING OUR FISH, KILL THEM!

.. .. ..

Humans, we really are a pathetic lot. We cause the low fish populations cos of over fishing with our massive trawlers, and then we counter this by culling seals??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think there's a bit of intrigue in the department involved here.

https://twitter.com/noonan_malcolm/status/1310585712799031296

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Thanks.. .When I calmed down I realised that this is all too familiar in my life of islands etc.

I left Orkney 20 years ago and it was the same there. Twice I rescued straying seals as if the fish farm folk had seen them they would have killed them Sat 24 hours with a baby

Orkney Seal Rescue, St Margaret;s Hope was the main rescue group then. Looks t have expanded.

The locals were vicious and adamant that the seals were to be killed.

I spent an hour and more once in a layby overlooking Great Blasket watching them

Is there anyone we can appeal or write to please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,519 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

How about a cull of fishermen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I read about this yesterday. It's disgusting, they cannot possibly be serious proposals?

I am being beset by memories of the situation in Orkney. Looking back at some of the atrocities committed against seals which I will not horrify you with here, they are maybe thinking it will be " better" to deal with it officially?

They are wrong, but fishermen tend to be a rough lot and maybe they know this.

Like the deer situation?

One morning ( and this was 25 years ago when I was younger and fitter) I was out at first light to post a letter and had to brake as there was a young seal on the road. Not a baby but young.

It was the road that led to the fish farm and I knew what would happen if it was still there when they came to work.

I spent a long hour "persuading" it to cross back to the shore. All I had was a small stick and they have vicious teeth. Long frustration as it had no idea what the danger was.
    Once it had crossed, I chased it all the way to the water.

The other time was a white ie newborn baby left on the shore, which is fine. I called the South Ronaldsay man to get advice. Then decamped to the shore and hid among bushes to keep watch. The mother finally came back and took the baby. Had anyone tried to kill it? I would have called the police etc. Made a fuss... NB we did not have cell phones then.

Too old now to actively protect. Would if I were still able. Will write letters though. We all need to do that. Please

Advertisement