Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extinction Rebellion Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Is global warming fixed now that the crusties have protested??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

what is he on about? Climate change and border control are different issues. In fact permitting immigration from less polluting countries to more polluting ones results in a net increase in emissions.

Then he compares global warming with immigration as equivalent existential threats. Again it's melodramatic nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

A neighbour told me a few weeks ago that their twins had arrived home from (primary) school and were scared because they had been told that the world was going to end before they were 30. They had also heard that “schools were going to go on strike” to try to stop this happening. Such ridiculous baloney being spouted. She asked me to back her up in reassuring the kids which, of course, I did.

For her own good and the good of children generally that little brainwashed schoolgirl should be shunted back to where she came from and sent back to school and ordered to cease indoctrinating other children with nonsense. The sight of those British MPs drooling all over her the other day was sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,136 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Mebuntu wrote: »
    A neighbour told me a few weeks ago that their twins had arrived home from (primary) school and were scared because they had been told that the world was going to end before they were 30. They had also heard that “schools were going to go on strike” to try to stop this happening. Such ridiculous baloney being spouted. She asked me to back her up in reassuring the kids which, of course, I did.

For her own good and the good of children generally that little brainwashed schoolgirl should be shunted back to where she came from and sent back to school and ordered to cease indoctrinating other children with nonsense. The sight of those British MPs drooling all over her the other day was sickening.

Brainwashed schoolgirl that's spouting science?

BTW, was that an irish national school? One of the 90% that teach religion?

This is something kids should know about. Of course, depending on their age it determines how we tell them. End of the world is inaccurate and stupid. But they do need to know. We're fecking up the world they're going to inherit. Your kids and grandkids are going to have to literally pay for our inaction. You might as well take out loans in their names.

yet the reaction of many people seems to be.

fintan-stack.jpg

Meanwhile I still haven't actually seen a single reason why people are wrong to protest. There is an urgency to this. Even someone who's arguing against this protest has posted an article backing up the reasons for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Grayson wrote: »

This is something kids should know about. Of course, depending on their age it determines how we tell them. End of the world is inaccurate and stupid. But they do need to know. We're fecking up the world they're going to inherit. Your kids and grandkids are going to have to literally pay for our inaction. You might as well take out loans in their names.

fintan-stack.jpg

Meanwhile I still haven't actually seen a single reason why people are wrong to protest. There is an urgency to this. Even someone who's arguing against this protest has posted an article backing up the reasons for it.

The world has been ending ever since man has existed. Take a chill pill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

fintan-stack.jpg

The world has been ending ever since man has existed. Take a chill pill.

Looks like we got another 'we should sit on our hands and do absolutely nothing' philosopher.

You should take a leaf out of gozunda book. He was like passionate about doing absolutely nothing aswell. Though as we can he see from his last post
    He believes the science and we need to act now.

gozunda wrote: »
    Gozunda... I was just speaking to Gretna. She's delighted your engaging in climate change. She's delighted your so emotional about the subject. Your the exact person she is doing this for. So she's delighted to represent you going forward, we all are , including her parents. Nice people by the way. The best thing, the best thing is you get to do what you've passionately talking about all thread. Sit on your hands and do absolutely nothing. Wow Hero. She's gonna want you up on stage. Imagine.. You and her on stage.. Her on the microphone and you sitting on your hands doing absolutely nothing. The crowd would go wild. You guys could headline Glastonbury.
    We are on your side buddy. We won't stop.. Because we know you won't. That inspires.

Lol fairy stories and hyperbole were obviously your favourite subjects in school :D. Logic or comprehension not so much. No worries though

I just love that some believe that screaming about doomsday scenarios and waving flags is 'doing something' lol.

I'll stick with the the science thanks

Here's an intersting article from the relevant lead author of the IPCC 2018 Special Report on Global Warming.
    Why Protesters Should be Wary of ’12 Years to Climate Breakdown’ Rhetoric...

Where he explains just how protestors are getting the science wrong. No surprise there.
    please stop saying something globally bad is going to happen in 2030. Bad stuff is already happening and every half a degree of warming matters, but the IPCC does not draw a “planetary boundary” at 1.5°C beyond which lie climate dragons.

See:
    https://www.resilience.org/stories/2019-04-23/why-protesters-should-be-wary-of-12-years-to-climate-breakdown-rhetoric/

You're welcome ;)

I'm glad you trust the science. Yes I agree it is important to act now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

And do what? Cripple western economies with carbon taxes and endless red tape while East Asia, India, Russia, Brazil etc have no intention whatsoever of doing the same to their economies. What's the big solution ?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

Looks like we got another 'we should sit on our hands and do absolutely nothing' philosopher.

You should take a leaf out of gozunda book. He was like passionate about doing absolutely nothing aswell. Though as we can he see from his last post

And what are you doing about it as a matter of interest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Jackman25 wrote: »

The sneer off this post alone just melted a glacier in the Arctic Circle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭xckjoo

And do what? Cripple western economies with carbon taxes and endless red tape while East Asia, India, Russia, Brazil etc have no intention whatsoever of doing the same to their economies. What's the big solution ?

China are investing hugely in renewable energy. How do you explain that?

Yurt! wrote: »

It a a legit question. One of ER (they want to ban flying) founders is a so called neo pagan that fecks off to south America on the regular to get smashed on hallucinogenic cactus juice. Doubt she cycles over.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

Yurt! wrote: »

:):):)
    wasn't really intended to be (well, maybe a small bit).
    But I am interested to find out what average Joe Schmuck in Ireland should be doing about it.
    I believe the climate change science if not the immediate disaster about to befall us stuff,
    I just don't worry too much about it because there is practically nothing that I can do that will make any difference.

Jackman25 wrote: »

I dance.

xckjoo wrote: »

Mass eviction and land grabs. They evicted one and a half million people to just to build the three gorges dam.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Mass eviction and land grabs. They evicted one and a half million people to just to build the three gorges dam.

But why bother? Chinese government can effectively do what they like. They could easily move those people without a pre-tense. They also have a large amount of natural resources and a trade surplus with most of the world so little fear of energy isolation. And what about non-hydro? Why invest in it? Why even invest in hydro? People have been making dams since forever. They could have just said it was for drinking water.

The Yangtze used to flood on the regular prior to the damn being built. Over 30'000 people were killed in the 1954 flood, and millions of houses were destroyed in the 1998 floods. While moving that amount of people was traumatic, they solved a centuries long problem that devastated the river basin every few years; they also created what I believe to be the world's biggest hydroelectric damn by output.

Their cities are ridiculously polluted because of their dependency on coal. They need to do something fast. Plus they have millions living along the coast.

The chinese are also investing in thorium reactors. They are making a massive effort to move away from fossil fuels.

Their cities are ridiculously polluted because of their dependency on coal. They need to do something fast. Plus they have millions living along the coast.

The chinese are also investing in thorium reactors. They are making a massive effort to move away from fossil fuels.

It's under the surface, but the quality of the environment is becoming a social stability issue there as well (what the government cares about above all else). The air in some cities is acrid - certain cancers are off the charts.

• Advertisement

It a a legit question. One of ER (they want to ban flying) founders is a so called neo pagan that fecks off to south America on the regular to get smashed on hallucinogenic cactus juice. Doubt she cycles over.

So, once again we have a bit of whatabouttery.

Listen if you disagree with the science then post why. If you disagree with the methods, then post why (and maybe put what you'd do) . If you think people shouldn't be protesting at all and should just ignore the climate crises, then post why.

But trying to detract from them by lobbing out crap like that isn't helping. There are loads of people involved in the protests. Of course some are going to be arseholes. The fact that some are arseholes doesn't detract from what XR as a whole are trying to achieve. It's like those guys who posted in the run up to the ref on the 8th that they were pro choice but were voting no because they met an 8th campaigner they didn't like.

Listen if you disagree with the science then post why. If you disagree with the methods, then post why (and maybe put what you'd do) . If you think people shouldn't be protesting at all and should just ignore the climate crises, then post why.

But trying to detract from them by lobbing out crap like that isn't helping. There are loads of people involved in the protests. Of course some are going to be arseholes. The fact that some are arseholes doesn't detract from what XR as a whole are trying to achieve. It's like those guys who posted in the run up to the ref on the 8th that they were pro choice but were voting no because they met an 8th campaigner they didn't like.

She's the co founder of it so hardly whataboutary - Gail Bradbrook. When she's not in the amazon getting off her nut contacting the spirits she's doing mystic 'moon circles' in her tepee. A total wacko by all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Did you read that article?He's saying that protest is right. He's saying that we have to act right now.

Well considering I posted it - yes I have. Thanks.

I posted this and the link together btw ...

An article "where he explains just how protestors are getting the science wrong"

From the article ...
    So please stop saying something globally bad is going to happen in 2030. Bad stuff is already happening and every half a degree of warming matters, but the IPCC does not draw a “planetary boundary” at 1.5°C beyond which lie climate dragons.

To paraphrase the rest of it - he clearly points out that running around waving stupid doomsday banners and pushing hyperbole and rubbish propaganda is wrong. Protest fine - just stop using the scare and fear rubbish we are seeing with this current movement. And there we have it - all those XR banners claiming "12 years to save earth" are not only wrong - they're bull**** - go figure.

We need to see less bull**** - Like the other stupid demand that governments "Tell the truth" -what feking truth? Strange that - because according to all the supporters on here - everyone had read all the scientific reports and know everything already. Is there some big government conspiracy or something that they all believe in? You couldn't make this **** up if someone tried tbh.

As for this ...
    Grayson wrote:
    Even someone who's arguing against this protest has posted an article backing up the reasons for it[.

Lol - You didn't understand one word in that article did you? ...even though the article blows the whole extinction rebellion bul**** out of the water lol.

Oh well not really surprised tbh :rolleyes:

Do you understand that running around like an eejit and waving a banner is NOT doing "something"?

Is there a lack of critical faculties or just basic comprehension here?
    You should take a leaf out of gozunda book. He was like passionate about doing absolutely nothing aswell. Though as we can he see from his last post. He believes the science and we need to act now.

Lol WinnyThePoo - I'm realy realy touched by your repeated solicitude - even if it could come across to some as a bit creepy...

However because I'm a nice guy - I will repeat once again just for you - because you're evidently just a cute little bear that likes honey ...

You waving a home made banner and going on a little March IS NOT DOING ANYTHING! Gerit? Understand? Capiche?

Please let me know if you need that explained in words with less syllables. You're welcome ;)

So glad that you now understand that the stupid protests run by extinction rebellion are indeed rubbish.

Let us know what you are doing to salve you conscience ok

xckjoo wrote: »

China is manufacturing 'green' consumables such as solar arrays etc to flog to other countries. 'Green' consumables produced by Chinese industry which relies on energy produced mainly by coal.

It's big business from them - all the while China produces over a quarter of all the worlds greenhouse gases and really doesnt give a proverbial ****e about the environment. Funny that ...

I wouldn't mind but this has already been discussed in the thread. Just shows that a bunch of xr supporters here are just repeating rubbish apparently in the hope they might actually come up with a half decent argument - a bit like a 100 monkies typing on a 100 typewriters...
    In 2017, renewable energy in China comprised approx 26 % of total power generation, with most of the remainder (approx 70 %) provided by hugely polluting coal power plants. This compares to approx 30 % of US power generation coming from coal.

It would therefore appear from that China is currently manufacturing this stuff (mainly using traditional fossil fuel heavy Chinese industries) and flogging them to the rest of the world)

A bit ironic really ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Grayson, you’re still dodging that question I asked you. Do you believe Greta Thunberg started worldwide children’s climate protests on her own?

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Grayson, you’re still dodging that question I asked you. Do you believe Greta Thunberg started worldwide children’s climate protests on her own?

Funny how she suddenly is apparently everywhere tbh.

Regardless of this kids obsession with the subject of climate change (which she explains is at least partially due to her Aspergergers and ADHD) - there are some things that don't add up tbh.

Take for example how she relates that at 8 years of age, she was told that the death of polar bears was as a result of climate change (this story was later shown to be false) and a few years later at 11 - was so obsessed with the same topic that she stated to self harm through not eating, not talking and became clinically depressed.

The parents rather than dealing with this a child with serious issues - pandered to these obsessions and were in effect bullied by tbeir own child into effectively giving up their jobs.

Not only did they reportedly gave up their jobs -
    This child also managed to dominate her parents to the extent that they only ate what she ate. The parents could not even travel by plane such was the fear of causing offence and upsetting this child prodigy.

Fast forward a few years and the same child starts refusing to go to school - And goes off by herself to hang around in the city "protesting".

I'm sorry but what the fek were these parents doing? Fast forward another few years and the same child repeats similar behaviour and some start to think she is some kind of superstar? Just last week - she addressed members of the UK government in a particularly nasty sarcastic tone with the words:
    "Is the microphone really on? Did you hear me? Is my English OK? Because I'm beginning to wonder..."

I'm sorry but if my child tried saying that type of ignorant tripe to any group of people whether peers or adults - they would quickly know such ignorance is unacceptable - no matter what the issue they are talking about.

Then to add cream to the cake the same teenager relates how ...
    When I have been travelling around to speak in different countries, I am always offered help to write about the specific climate policies in specific countries. 

I'm sorry but here we have a young obsessed teenager telling goverments that she is going to "help to write specific climate policies....

Wtf? She is a kid, who through her own efforts has missed schooling, has no qualifications or relevant experience in this area and is attempting to dictate government policies!

If her beliefs were based on any rational reasoning - I would suggest that perhaps she may have had some point to make, however this is the core idea what she bases her arguments on.
    "Around the year 2030, 10 years 252 days and 10 hours away from now, we will be in a position where we set off an irreversible chain reaction beyond human control, that will most likely lead to the end of our civilisation as we know it."
    Anyone reading this thread will know that the IPCC published a report about climate change. What is clear is that the scientists responsible for that report and others never said anything about an" irreversible chain reaction beyond human control in 10 years time. This is what they do say:
    Please stop saying something globally bad is going to happen in 2030. Bad stuff is already happening and every half a degree of warming matters, but the IPCC does not draw a “planetary boundary” at 1.5°C beyond which lie climate dragons.
    And again
    As much as climate scientists see the necessity for broad and immediate action to address global warming, they do not agree on an imminent point of no return.The (IPCC) panel “did not say we have 12 years left to save the world.”...

And yet here we have to this teenager been held up as some paragon of eartly wisdom. You know what - I agree we are indeed fuked but it's absolutely nothing - nothing to do with climate change . .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Funny how she suddenly is apparently everywhere tbh.

Regardless of this kids obsession with the subject of climate change (which she explains is at least partially due to her Aspergergers and ADHD) - there are some things that don't add up tbh.

Take for example how she relates that at 8 years of age, she was told that the death of polar bears was as a result of climate change (this story was later shown to be false) and a few years later at 11 - was so obsessed with the same topic that she stated to self harm through not eating, not talking and became clinically depressed.

The parents rather than dealing with this a child with serious issues - pandered to these obsessions and were in effect bullied by tbeir own child into actually giving up their jobs.

Not only did they reportedly gave up their jobs -
    This child also managed to dominate her parents to the extent that they only ate what she ate. The parents could not even travel by plane such was the fear of causing offence and upsetting this child prodigy.

Fast forward a few years and the same child starts refusing to go to school - And goes off by herself to hang around in the city "protesting".

I'm sorry but what the fek were these parents doing? Fast forward another few years and the same child repeats similar behaviour and some start to think she is some kind of superstar? Just last week - she addressed members of the UK government in a particularly nasty sarcastic tone with the words:

I'm sorry but if my child tried saying that type of ignorant tripe to any group of people whether peers or adults - they would quickly know such ignorance is unacceptable - no matter what the issue they are talking about.

Then to add cream to the cake the same teenager relates how ...

I'm sorry but here we have a young obsessed teenager telling goverments that she is going to "help to write specific climate policies....

Wtf? She is a kid, who through her own efforts has missed schooling, has no qualifications or relevant experience in this area and is attempting to dictate government policies!

If her beliefs were based on any rational reasoning - I would suggest that perhaps she may have had some point to make, however this is the core idea what she bases her arguments on.

Anyone reading this thread will know that the IPCC published a report about climate change. What is clear is that the scientists responsible for that report and others never said anything about an" irreversible chain reaction beyond human control in 10 years time. This is what they do say:

And again

And yet here we have to this teenager been held up as some paragon of eartly wisdom. You know what - I agree we are indeed fuked but it's absolutely nothing - nothing to do with climate change . .
    I already asked her on her Facebook page (if it is her Facebook page) as to why she hasn’t traveled to China yet to deliver her speech but another poster says she can’t travel to China by train, which is baloney. She won’t go to China because the Chinese won’t listen to her baloney.

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    I already asked her on her Facebook page (if it is her Facebook page) as to why she hasn’t traveled to China yet to deliver her speech but another poster says she can’t travel to China by train, which is baloney. She won’t go to China because the Chinese won’t listen to her baloney.

True. Travel from Sweden to China not a problem.

https://rail.cc/en/train/stockholm-to-beijing

I'll even make a donation towards a one way ticket ...

She can set off to China by train once the west has been propelled back to the stone age with air no travel, no economy etc - all the while the rest of the world, China etc continue on their merry producing as much greenhouse emissions as they like laughing their arses off at the idiots ...

• Advertisement

True. Travel from Sweden to China not a problem.

https://rail.cc/en/train/stockholm-to-beijing

I'll even make a donation for a one way ticket ...

She can set off to China by train once the west has been propelled back to the stone age with air no travel, no economy etc - all the while the rest of the world, China etc continue on their merry producing as much greenhouse emissions as they like laughing their arses off at the idiots ...

Meanwhile, back in reality...

https://www.lawfareblog.com/chinas-pivot-climate-change-and-national-security

Co-authored by a former World Bank and State Department official, and a former fellow at the CSIS in Washington (i.e. experts)

Advertisement