Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small Bird Feeder

Options
  • 02-04-2018 11:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭

I have a great selection of finches and small birds in my back garden, looking for a good feeder to hang on the branches. I got one in woodies but the starlings emptied it in 2 mins. Is there any more suitable for small birds only? thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

To be honest there's an infinite amount of bird feeders out there in different garden shops, pound shops and some of the supermarkets, as well as online shops. You'll know best what type of feeder will suit your garden. In general they're much of a muchness and will all do the job. If you're trying to keep our Starlings maybe try a Squirrel-proof feeder, or just hang the feeder on a long string so that it sways when they land on it and puts them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Juliet799

You could use FORUP Caged Tube feeder, It can not be denied that this is a versatile feeder. It can accommodate mixed seeds to attract as many birds fond of eating seeds as possible. The cage protects birds and seeds from big bully birds. Overall, it is a practical solution for the needs of smaller birds.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

You could do worse than buy one through Birdwatch Ireland and support conservation instead of the supermarket chains.

https://birdwatchireland.ie/product-category/bird-care/ :)

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

That’s a great idea Del Monte!

I get my feeders in CJ Wildlife www.birdfood.ie

I think their plastic feeders are better than the metal ones. I find some metal one rust easily.

They have nyjer seed feeders which finches love. Nyjer seed can be quite messy so a feed with a base is a good idea!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement