Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop recommendations for around the 500euro mark....

Options
  • 17-11-2011 1:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

Not for me, but for my Mother.
    I'm a Mac user so I just say "Get a Mac, you'll never regret it,"
    But she doesn't have the money.

Anyway her last laptop was a Dell XPS as you know they aren't that great, basically she is looking for a reliable laptop, that won't give trouble,
    All she uses it for is Microsoft Office and Web browsing,
    A decent battery life is a plus...

I'm totally unaware of whats a good pc these days,
    HP??? Acer??? Sony??? Samsung???

All help greatly appreciated, thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I'm in a similar situation. I've to find a new laptop for my father-in-law with a budget of around €500. I came across a Sony Vaio for €519. It looks nice, feels solid and has decent specs. Just not sure how fast it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

I'm in a similar situation. I've to find a new laptop for my father-in-law with a budget of around €500. I came across a Sony Vaio for €519. It looks nice, feels solid and has decent specs. Just not sure how fast it is.

Not very fast is the answer. It'll do the basics, not much more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Micko23

Just bought this laptop with a 20% coupon code on payment which should be still available. So it came to 495.20. I think its excellent value

Intel CoreTM i5 Processor 2430M. 6Gb RAM. 640Gb Hard Drive. 15.6 LED HD (1366 x 768) 16:9 Gloss display. 802.11bg/n. Bluetooth V3.0 High Speed. Web Camera. HD (High Definition) Audio. SRS 3D Sound Effect/Mic Noise Suppression. 3 W Stereo Speaker (1.5 W x 2). 6-cell battery. Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit)

http://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/samsung-rv520-core-i5-6gb-ram-640gb-hard-drive-laptop---blacksilver/1008004251.prd?browseToken=%2fb%2f4294959794%2c4873%2fs%2fbestsellers%2c0&trail=4739-4294959794-4872%3fnav%3d

If you're interested Ill send on the coupon password.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

I have one, or more precisely the newer model (E450 based, 4GB, 500GB HD), if you're looking make sure you get the newer model, PCWorld are selling both at the same price :rolleyes:., or better off going to Peats (or Sony shop) as they have them a bit cheaper if purchasing in a bricks and mortar store.

While its a synthetic benchmark, it has a Windows 7 processor score of 3.8, the Aero performance is 4.6 and the remaining scores are 5.9 which is pretty decent given that its essentially a netbook. No problem running Opera, Word, Excel, divX etc., and I actually run my software development VMs (virtual machines) on it too when I'm on the move and it works very well :). Good GPU performance too, but realistically you're not going to have a great experience if you're gaming, movie encoding, photoshop-ing etc.

Downside, well it's a Sony, so there are alternative brands that are cheaper with the same or similar specifications (all the Fusion/2 specs are similar between manufacturers), and unlike the more expensive Sony models that are aluminum, its body is plastic.

If I was in the market and (not looking at the 11.6" size), I'd seriously be considering the 15.6" ranges, as they seem to have better specifications at the same price point.

HTH

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

dazberry wrote: »
    I have one, or more precisely the newer model (E450 based, 4GB, 500GB HD), if you're looking make sure you get the newer model, PCWorld are selling both at the same price :rolleyes:., or better off going to Peats (or Sony shop) as they have them a bit cheaper if purchasing in a bricks and mortar store.

While its a synthetic benchmark, it has a Windows 7 processor score of 3.8, the Aero performance is 4.6 and the remaining scores are 5.9 which is pretty decent given that its essentially a netbook. No problem running Opera, Word, Excel, divX etc., and I actually run my software development VMs (virtual machines) on it too when I'm on the move and it works very well :). Good GPU performance too, but realistically you're not going to have a great experience if you're gaming, movie encoding, photoshop-ing etc.

Downside, well it's a Sony, so there are alternative brands that are cheaper with the same or similar specifications (all the Fusion/2 specs are similar between manufacturers), and unlike the more expensive Sony models that are aluminum, its body is plastic.

If I was in the market and (not looking at the 11.6" size), I'd seriously be considering the 15.6" ranges, as they seem to have better specifications at the same price point.

HTH

D.

Thanks for the response. I've been told that I have to look for a smaller screen so that leaves me in the 11" range. From your description it sounds good enough for the way it will be used - internet, e-mail and the odd document.

• Advertisement
Advertisement