Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

train heifers to cubicles

• 07-11-2009 2:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Anyone got ideas on how to train in-calf heifers to use cubicles?

I have 22 fr heifers housed on their own: they have a feed passage and an access passage with 26 cubicles with Mayo mats, both with automatic scrapers. The srcapers run every hour to discourage them from lying in the passages. Last winter they were on a stand-off pad. They've been housed less than a week and are so far very reluctant to use the cubicles.

Does it just take time? I had them with the cows in the hope of the "monkey-see-monkey-do" effect. But no way!

Suggestions?

Ta,
    James

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

we stopped the scrapers and put tyres in the passage way so they couldnt lie comfortable on the ground and put some meal at the front of the cubicles to entice them to even stand in the cubicles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

in my experience , the majority of heifers will eventually lie in cubicles even they were not trained in cubicles from they were young , on my brothers farm , he only puts them in cubicles in the 2nd winter when they are in calf and out of 85 cows , he might have two who continue to lie on slats , when i say 85 , i mean the total herd of cows and hiefers btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

just put some straw in the cubicles for a week or so and i bet it will work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭cjpm

Any solutions for 3 youngish cows who will never lie on cubicles??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

cjpm wrote: »
    Any solutions for 3 youngish cows who will never lie on cubicles??
    larry goodman:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Are you giving them any meal?? If so put the meal at the top of the cubicles for a few days, its gets them in the habit of going up

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Can you turn off the scrapers in the passage where the heifers are? Let it get really sloppy, I've used the tyres in the passage and it works, adjusting the headrail so they have as much room as possible in the cubicle might help.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 james_lk

Thanks for all the advice. Heifers are doing ok. I used some nuts for a few days to encourage them to stand up on the cubicles, and put straw on them as well. I also left the scrapers running to discourage them from lying in the passage. Seems to be ok now. I had the concrete passages grooved last week also, which has made a big difference. They still act a bit nervous in the cubicles if I walk down the passage but at least they're using them now and they will calm down in the end.

Advertisement