Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are we proud of our achievements

Options
  • 22-02-2009 11:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

In the midst of the looming recession can the viewers of this forum hold their head up and say that they are proud of what has been achieved in the "celtic tiger" era. IMO i will hold my head high on the transformation of the countries road network. i bow my head in remorse for the way our younger generation were slaves to consumerism and were the guinea pigs of an economy that they will now export them to the globe to fulfill the wishes of world leaders and in themselves become more loathing of the country that once was the most competitive in Europe now sits like a fat slow slob on the west of europe awaiting its faith at the hands of the lisbon treaty OR
    Are we quietly happy that the young generation will have a home to go to and express themselves not to a gaget but to a mum or dad that thinks he has been wronged by not having a job or thanks God that they still have time to see there kids grow up the way they did.
    After all that I hope we as a nation never see the level of growth we had in the "celtic tiger" era. I hope we have not totally lost our cead mile failte spirit for a plastic western world personality. I hope our country becomes a society not a lightening speed economy that only carriers the wealthy and neglets the 20% and 41% paying people and last of all i hope the media stop refering to us as consumers and start refering to us as people ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I'd go on a rant about how our infrastructure is crap but this isn't the forum for that. I don't see how this thread belongs in this forum TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Moved from Economics.

Thebman, I'd appreciate if you used the Report Post feature to bring threads like this to our attention in future. We don't read everything so if something doesn't belong, we're more likely to move it if it's reported. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

I'm not exactly religous, but money is the root of all evil. More money = =more greed = more corrruption

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Moved from Economics.

Thebman, I'd appreciate if you used the Report Post feature to bring threads like this to our attention in future. We don't read everything so if something doesn't belong, we're more likely to move it if it's reported. Thanks.

No probs I thought about but wasn't sure if it could be brought on topic or whatever so I said I'd leave it. Will report in future.

Now for my infrastructure rant :P

We lack so many services compared to the rest of Europe that I'm lost for the words to describe what I think is wrong with the statement that we should be proud of our roads.

That ignores the fact that the government is doing everything they can to try to get us to leave the roads for our inadequate public transport system.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Phototoxin wrote: »
    I'm not exactly religous, but money is the root of all evil. More money = =more greed = more corrruption

More money is also the root of greater life expectancy. Is that evil?

Also, if money is the root of all evil, what's the root of all money?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

it's a misquote, the actual quote from the bible is "The LOVE of money is the root of all evil" - not money itself.

I must say, I'm not really proud of what we've achieved. I feel like we achieved it in spite of, not because of, our leaders. The one thing that every public service seems to have in common?
    well, look at the schools - fantastic teachers in crappy buildings.
    Hospitals - amazing nurses and doctors in crappy hospitals with not enough money
    Guards - Generally very decent police, working out of crappy buildings

WE don't have a problem with the Indians, we do with the Chiefs imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

tbh wrote: »
    well, look at the schools - fantastic teachers in crappy buildings.
    Hospitals - amazing nurses and doctors in crappy hospitals with not enough money
    Guards - Generally very decent police, working out of crappy buildings

WE don't have a problem with the Indians...
    You sure about that? Is every nurse doing a stand-up job? Is every teacher irreplaceable? One of the biggest problems we have in this country is a readiness to tar everyone in a particular group with the same brush, e.g., all nurses are saints and all hospital administrators are miserable ****es. We need to weed out the wasters at EVERY level, but of course the unions might have something to say about that :rolleyes:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

djpbarry wrote: »
    You sure about that? Is every nurse doing a stand-up job? Is every teacher irreplaceable? One of the biggest problems we have in this country is a readiness to tar everyone in a particular group with the same brush, e.g., all nurses are saints and all hospital administrators are miserable ****es. We need to weed out the wasters at EVERY level, but of course the unions might have something to say about that :rolleyes:.

I'm basing it on my experience. I wouldn't say for a second that every single public servant is a saint, but I'd have to say, any I've had any experience of have been doing an amazing job in difficult circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

tbh wrote: »
    I'm basing it on my experience. I wouldn't say for a second that every single public servant is a saint, but I'd have to say, any I've had any experience of have been doing an amazing job in difficult circumstances.
    Fair enough, but from my experience of working in a public institution for the last 3 years, I can say with absolute certainty that there are more than a few people in here who do not deserve to keep their jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

A lot of the wrong kind of people did well during the Celtic Tiger.

e.g. I can't even begin to explain where thses bank executives on over half a million euro a year come from. I just can't get my head around the same people who feel no shame about what they have done and continue to live lives of extravagance while the country crumbles around them and largely because of them.
    And now a lot of what we did gain from the celtic tiger will be taken away from us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭scanlas

The root of all evil is not money, it is the ego.

Through the ego we develop a myopic outlook and have trouble empathising with others.

The ego is made is made up of beliefs, memories, labels and interpretations amongst other things. The ego is associated with how good you feel.

Through the ego there will always be conflict.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

Not only an Economist but a Poet also ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

djpbarry wrote: »
    Fair enough, but from my experience of working in a public institution for the last 3 years, I can say with absolute certainty that there are more than a few people in here who do not deserve to keep their jobs.

Everyone becomes complacent in the work place. You need a kick up the ass to get RE-motivated and do the job you used to.
    What has caused this "I don't care" attitude? Workers rights, now don't get me wrong here but we all are entitled to our rights and all but so are the employers and so are those who are more willing, but can't get a job.

I see a lot of 30-60ish year olds who have been in their jobs for 20 odd years respectively and they don't give a hoot. The "A sure they can't get rid of me" attitude as I have been here so long etc etc.
    I think no matter how long you have been in your job, if you start slacking you should be allowed to put them on a 6month review and if they don't start pulling their weight than they can take it else where.
    Without them shouting oh discrimination, sexism, bullying etc. Its the white mans version of "You are a Racist".
    If this happened than we would see a lot more productivity from Companies, more profit as a result, more in wages, and people being polite on the other end of the phone.
    Everybody deserves a job, but whether you deserve to keep yours is the question.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement