Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dell laptop express card for mobile broadband

Options
  • 11-01-2007 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

ExpressCard is a new technology that has come to replace the older and more limited PCMCIA technology. Unlike the larger PCMCIA slots that, until recently, were commonly found in almost all portable computers, the new ExpressCard slots are more compact and acommodate the smaller ExpressCards.
    o2 are unable to supply me with the correct Express Card.
    It measures 75mm x 54mm with a 22mm cut away at the 'pins' end.
    If anyone can direct me to where I can get one urgently - many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Obelisk29

I know that they are availabe on some of the Dell Latitudes - but I think theu may be only for vodafone.

you coud give them a ring and see if they could sell you the card as a seperate item.

O29

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭bridestream

Thank Ob.
    I did email Dell 48 hours ago and am waiting for reply.
    I was on the Belkin
    http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=281268 site and they appear to make the card I want.
    It's the one with the 22mm 'cut away'.
    I do not know anything about Belkin?
    Anyone out there know anything about Belkin?
    I am on o2 and they use Sierra cards but they will not have stock until Feb which is too late for me as I am going away soon.
    Should I risk 80/90 Euro for a Belkin card?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Whoa there bridestream, I think you have your wires a bit crossed.

The card you have linked to on the Belkin site is an SATA card - it gives your laptop two SATA ports. How is this going to help your cause? Yes, it's in the ExpressCard format, but all it does is allow you to plug in SATA devices (disk drives and the like).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

What about the usb modem vodafone sell on their site?

I have a Dell Latitude with BUILT IN 3G it does not use an express card, there is a sim in a slot under the battery so i still have a free express slot AND PCMCIA slot too :)

Thanks TD for putting me right.
    The card I want is for Mobile Broadband.
    It look like I will have no choice but to wait for o2 get delivery of the Sierra Express Cards; unless someone can come up with another supplier of one which will fit the Dell 6400 laptop.

The card I require measures 75 x 54 mm with a 22 x 20 mm 'cut away' at the connector end.
    The connector size is 26 pins.

Many thanks to everyone who has responded.
    My fingers are crossed for a solution before Feb 14 when I am off to OZ/N.Z.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

unless someone can come up with another supplier of one which will fit the Dell 6400 laptop.

Re-edit: I was just about to say there were very few cards available, when I came across this from Dell : http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=19&sku=313-4357

You would want to do some serious homework to figure out whether this would work with O2 - I seriously doubt it would.

More info on ExpressCard here: http://www.expresscard.org/web/site/

Thanks again TD.
    o2 sent me the 34 pin ExpressCard instead of the 26 pin version.
    They get the cards from Sierra Wireless.

The American cards IMHO may be only for their networks whereas the o2 Sierra version is capable of working on GPRS/3G/EDGE/HSDPA.

It looks like I may have to wait until o2 receive the 26 pin version.

Seamus.

Novatel Wireless http://www.novatelwireless.com/products/expresscard/merlin-xu870.html
    make Express Cards with 26 connector pins suitable which matches thenew format used in Dell's etc.
    Am I right in thinking this is a data card and not a SATA card?
    What do you think TD?
    I am emailing them to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

The Dell card Tom linked to is EVDO and so won't work in Ireland/Europe. The Novatel one that you've found should definitely work. Plus it's an excellent card.

Advertisement