Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

american in ireland

Options
  • 23-10-2006 6:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭

this is all hypothetical of course let me start by saying that:

how is the culture different? what foods do I need to get used to? I have a big mouth as well as most americans do, anything that 's not polite to talk about in public? Do the irish really like to fight? what's the women situation? so for moving or visiting Ireland what do you suggeset. I am aware not to mention politics and religion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

how is the culture different? what foods do I need to get used to? I have a big mouth as well as most americans do, anything that 's not polite to talk about in public? Do the irish really like to fight? what's the women situation? so for moving or visiting Ireland what do you suggeset. I am aware not to mention politics and religion

There's not really any foods you'd need to get used to, we eat some pretty standard stuff. Meat, veg and potatoes/chips is a fairly regular meal.

Can't think of anything that's not polite to talk about, us Irish are a chatty bunch.

The Irish don't really like to fight, that's just a stereotype.

The Women situation? 'spose the same as anywhere else really.

Moving/visiting Ireland, I'd say avoid Dublin, it's a kip.

The only time you should be wary of mentioning religion is if you were in the north. Anywhere else is fair game.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Welcome.
    Be prepared to discuss american politics/war a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The only time you should be wary of mentioning religion is if you were in the north. Anywhere else is fair game.

I would suggest avoiding this topic in general unless you know what you are talking about. Religion and the problems that surround it up north are a major issue for a lot of people. You could easily find yourself saying the wrong thing to the wrong person.

Food isn't too different tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Few things

Irish people hate when Americans complain that we drink too much, so say nothing
    As for fighting, it depends. Alot of pubs in inner city Dulin/the tougher suburbs might be best avoided if your not local or not with a pub regular. Down the country, fighting is a pasttime, whilst your more likely to be a victim of a crime like robbery in Dublin, in the countryside theyre surly bastards who on Saturdays start their drinking from 11am onwards. By about 10pm in most country towns ive been to there is pub brawling. However, its mainly btween drunken gob****es who know each other, not too much random attacks I dont think.
    Women: Thankfully the US image of long gingery freckled munters is a stereotype, and you will find they are alot nicer than much of what the continent has to offer. Particularly in Dublin.
    Politics: whether you like him or not, dont say you support Bush. The Irish have had it in for him since day one in 2000 (primarily becase "hes not Clinton, and Clinton was class" ;) ). Irelands full of wannabe IRA men, so watch what you say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭crackernutz

Texan first American second. All of us have this attitude. I'm used to bar fights living in texas etc. drunk cowboys etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

how is the culture different?
    It's fairly laid back... I'm not sure how laid back it is in the US as I've never been, but for instance I understand that swearing/cursing is a bit taboo in alot of the US. In Ireland, it's widespread, and not necessarily meant to be offensive. Don't be surprised if you hear someone calling another person a c*nt or a b*stard, whilst they're both smiling! Most of us take the p*ss out of each other.

what foods do I need to get used to?
    I don't think that's really an issue... Although you may have to order 2 servings of most meals! :D Only joking ;) We have every variety of restaurant and take-away you need, really. Pizza/Italian, curry, Indian, fish&chips, burgers... I had my mam's homemade chicken curry today for dinner! If you're staying with an Irish relative they might make stew or coddle, but that's about as unusual as it gets!

I have a big mouth as well as most americans do, anything that 's not polite to talk about in public?
    I can't really think of anything, other than maybe "Gawwwd... this bus is so dirty, huh?" or somethin like that ;)

Do the irish really like to fight?

Nope. Well maybe these lads do!

what's the women situation?
    Some hot, alot not... unfortunately.

I am aware not to mention politics and religion
    I wouldn't say that... Well it depends where you are I guess. In Dublin it's not an issue at all, so speak freely, whereas in Belfast it might be, so just keep your voice down, that's all :)

Any more questions, post away........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭free2fly

If you like Bush keep it to yourself. Try you keep the tone of your voice down. Most of all, like anywhere else, be respectful of the people. I visit Dublin often and seem to fit in well. I am moving to Dublin next June. Ireland is a wonderful country and the people are amazing. The food is pretty basic, but good. You can find just about any type of cooking in Dublin. If you like Italian food there are some excellent restaurants. If you want to PM me I can give you some more tips on how to behave :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

If you're able to get your hands on it, Des Bishop, and American comedian who's lived in Ireland most of his life (I think), has a DVD out called 'Work experience' (or something similar), where he works a series of minimum wage jobs and records the whole thing. It's very good and funny, and gives a bit of a glimpse at how Des, with his thick American accent, integrates into Irish society.

EDIT: And the purpose of this post... There's a part where he's working in a kebab shop, and the drunken eejits are all shouting at him, "George Bush is a c*nt!" Even the most mildly political person will probably think you're a fool if you support president Bush. Just saying! It's not a big issue really, but just a heads up.

So yeah, if you're a Republican, keep it on the down low ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

Don't act like you're foreign, avoid asking people questions about the culture (in "real" life, here's fine ;) ). If you too many of those questions, you'll seem like a "bloody ignorant foreigner", just talk to people like you've known them for years, and, as has already been mentioned, swear copiously, you complete bastard. :D

hows the barbq? and the mexican food? a daily staple of a texan diet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

hows the barbq? and the mexican food? a daily staple of a texan diet.

I'm a big fan of Mexican food, unfortunatly there's not a huge amount of it here.

anyone know where i can buy des bishop products...??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Lust4Life

take me with you and I'll cook Italian / Mexican for you! :)

Lust4Life wrote:
    take me with you and I'll cook Italian / Mexican for you! :)

are you irish living in america? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

If your in dublin please please dont walk up to people and ask whats the story/history behind the Dublin Spire or the feckin spike as its mostly known as.

I know people have touched on the bush thing but still be warned, Bush is the 1st thing that pops into a lot of peoples heads when they hear an american accent.

So even if u dont bring him up at all, other people probably will.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Tell everyone you're Canadian and you'll be fine :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

The only thing about Irish that Irish people tend not to notice themselves is the total laidback "ahh sure it will get done eventually" attitude.

For example the ESB (electricty company) offer prizes you can win if you pay your bill on time. This is because Irish are bloody lazy when it comes to such things. Or for example waiting on a delivery or a builder comes around to fix something.

Its the only thing that drives the wife bananas when it comes to Irish culture. She can't understand how Ireland can function or how relaxed Irish are when someone doesn't show up.

Only other thing to remember is nearly everyone will tell you that Bush is a bollix. Its considered a compliment to say the same about Bertie.:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

anyone know where i can buy des bishop products...??

Strangely on DesBishop.com ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

If your a republican, you had better have a sense of humour about it.

If you like George Bush, best not to mention it in general conversation.

Irish women aren't big on military men/the military.. especially the american military, unlike alot of american women.
    Irish women aren't as materialistic as american women (I'm only going on what I heard from some Texan's).. but they are alot more sarcastic, its more about how you can entertain than what you have/how you look. Although we are narrowing the gap..

In general Irish people are sarcastic, they'll rip the p**s out of you, and expect you to do it back. If you take offence they'll look at you in disbelief.

Food, I imagine, is the same.
    Property is overpriced.
    And like anywhere, our public services are pretty slow, but they dont offer as good excuses for their slowness as other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭greenteaicedtea

I'm a Canadian, my dad's Irish...

while on vacation, I noticed the following differences with groceries, that, while not devastating, were still different than I was used to.

sauce bolognaise=spaghetti sauce

drinking chocolate - to make it taste like the hot chocolate I was used to, I needed to add several teaspoons of sugar

Out in the country, people drive effing fast around narrow curvy roads... be careful - that is, if you're not from a rural area with narrow curvy roads yourself

And if you're going to try to pass yourself off as Canadian, at least do your homework on who Rick Mercer, Rex Murphy and George Stroumboulopoulos are :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Sofaspud wrote:
    and, as has already been mentioned, swear copiously, you complete bastard. :D
    lol, ya c*nt :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

And if you're going to try to pass yourself off as Canadian, at least do your homework on who Rick Mercer, Rex Murphy and George Stroumboulopoulos are :D

Pfft, just mention Rush and you'll be fine.

Infact, almost any Canadian I've met, Rush was the catch-all conversation starter. Why, just mentioning them in conversation in a pub had a bunch of Canadians learing over saying "OMG, you like Rush!?" with big smiles. ;)

www.rush.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

1. Bring money. Everything costs a fortune compared to what we [Americans] pay.

2. Be prepared to have the "so where are you from" conversation about 4-5 times a day, and if your from a popular tourist place like I am then you can hear elaborate tales of everyones holidays there, also 4-5 times a day.

3. If you are in anyway ethnic looking, meaning, anything but 100% caucasion looking, be prepared for inquiries into your genetic heritage. So for example, you may have a dialogue like this:

Irish person: So where are you from?

You: Texas

Irish person: No, but really, where are you from?

4. Be prepared to hear tirades about Bush and Iraq. It gets old real fast. Saying that, my last trip I didnt hear it [, though someone did volunteer to tell me how we brought 911 on ourselves.

5. You'll miss the sunshine. And the mexican food.

Also- in my experience Dublin is a very different experience from the rest of the country, which is a world onto itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Greenfigure

Don't be shocked if you see fake tan streaks on Irish women. We're mad about fake tan these days. Compared to US women, I reckon Irish women have a great sense of humour. We've been voted the heaviest drinker in the world. We're not as fake as american women. I've been to the US and I found most people quite fake.

Dublin is indeed another world of its own. Go to Galway! People are great over there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭free2fly

Don't be shocked if you see fake tan streaks on Irish women. We're mad about fake tan these days. Compared to US women, I reckon Irish women have a great sense of humour. We've been voted the heaviest drinker in the world. We're not as fake as american women. I've been to the US and I found most people quite fake.

Dublin is indeed another world of its own. Go to Galway! People are great over there!

Rather ironic that you say how mad you are for "fake tan" and then turn around and accuse Americans of being "fake" ;) May I ask what you found so "fake" about us? Where in the States have you visited?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Yeah I found that funny too.

They love their fake tan in Ireland, as awell as tons of caked on makeup. Its the Irish woman's answer to the burkha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Bar-b-que -> nowhere to be found! You might find Mexican restaurants; I know 1 or 2 in Dublin. You might not be impressed though. Food is def different (plainer), despite what others say. You'll find it expensive and the service usually sucks. There is an upside: lots of Italian restaurants, 2am battered sausages, some good pub food, and if you like spuds, you're in for a treat.

On the politics front, take others' advice: don't get drawn on Bush, 9/11, Iraq, Israel.... Lots of people will want to go there. The generalisations will drive you mad, as will the lunatic anti-American vibe.

Rain jacket. Bring it.

Guinness. Drink it!

The cursing will have you a little surprised at the beginning. The sarcasm will be sarchasm.

Irish people are v proud. A lot of Irish truly believe they live on the greatest little country in the world. Sure don't the telly and the newspapers say so?

Be brave and rent a car. It's by far the best way to see the most of the country. It's not easy though. You've never seen roads so narow! Lined with stone walls, no less. Watch out for the sheep. Get fully comp insurance with yr rental.

Stay in B&Bs. Great value and typically good accomodations.

A lot of people drink Bud. I know, you won't believe me till you see it with your own eyes.

Where to go: West Cork, Gap of Dunloe, Dingle Peninsula, Galway, Donegal, Belfast, Dublin. Kilkenny, Waterford, Dunmore East, Killiney. Not Killarney.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

A lot of Irish truly believe they live on the greatest little country in the world. Sure don't the telly and the newspapers say so?

You will find that nearly every country is like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

free2fly wrote:
    Rather ironic that you say how mad you are for "fake tan" and then turn around and accuse Americans of being "fake" ;) May I ask what you found so "fake" about us? Where in the States have you visited?
    Was in California myself and noticed this as well. Not saying they were being 'fake' but if this attitude was seen in a more sarcastic, casutic Ireland, it would come across as fake.
    The whole super smile, everyone is great, we're great, the world is great attitude can irk people over here. Especially prevalent in the service industry, being accosted at the door with huge smiles and hellos...here feck off, I'm just looking.

To OP, expect lots of questions about yourself and where you're from. Irish people like to chat and knowing a bit of background info. really helps. They may be asking where you're from in Texas but what they really want to do is to be able to find a common link between yourselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Hobbes wrote:
    You will find that nearly every country is like that.

Hobbes, you're right. Good point.

Same thing over here in the US, just a different flavour.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement