Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Dancer and the Dance.

• 09-09-2003 12:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭

The Dancer and the Dance.

The music pulses, thumps, bounces and beats,
    Over it the sound of laughter and the slapping of feet.
    Primal, Tribal, harking back to the dawn of man,
    Beyond even Adam that delved and Eve that span.

Joy of expression, freedom of movement
    Body writhing, wriggling and bent,
    Flung out as if flying; then tight as a ball.
    All at once she seems to run, slighter and crawl.

Trailing tresses, that have never been cut,
    She squeezes her eyes tight shut,
    Twisting, twirling, holding on to nought
    She circles east, then south, then west, then north

Round and round and round and round
    Gathering first speed and then sound
    Till she slips and falls unto the ground
    She places a hand to her head and does Pronounce
    “ Mama, I fell and got an Ouch “

written this morning :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

I like the rythm. However if I may offer a little constructive criticism to make it flow off the tongue better (I'm no expert of course, this is just my opinion):

I'll just go through the first verse to illustrate my point. Try taking out "Over it" in the second line to make the line "Sound of laughter and the slapping of feet." This reduces the number of syllables in the line and keeps it in time better with the rythm of the poem. Also, for the same reasons, I'd take the word "Harking" out of the third line and "even" out of the first line. You still get the same feel and images from the lines but they flow easier in my opinion

I'll leave it at the first verse because I'm sure you can see what I'm getting at now and I don't want to change all of your poem.

I do really like the rythm though, it just seemed to stall on a few lines because of too many syllables.

It's a very nice poem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

it is ment to stall the rythm is not ment to be continus for the rythm of the dance would not be as it is wild and unrestrained.

but thank you :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

Ahh, Thaed, very nice indeed.
    Do you have a small child? at first I was picturing a pagan dance round a fire, then at the end My view totally changed to a child jumping round, bouncing off the walls if you will. That last line reveals it all...I enjoyed it very much...wouldnt change a thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Beat in fact two of them and the Twist the end was fun. This was inspired by my lil 3 year old in the kitchen this morning moving about to Muse :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

Me thought so ;)

I dig the way you take an experience and interpret it in your own creativity...groovy chick, really groovy ;)

Ever thought of getting your work published? just from the samples I have seen I know you could get a deal. Or do you perhaps use this talent in your everyday life already?
    What do you do for a living, may I ask?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Yeah ive seen this dance many times, its a sight to behold. It wasent a twint for me as I had the inside track on this poem, made it easier for me to visualise, it made me feel tired and dizzy reading it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

BTW in case it dident come across in my earlier post, i did like the poem, timing was good, and I could relate to it.

Just a certian person dident think I liked it cause i dident just come out and say it! Its a good Poem imho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭DriftingRain

I could dance with the lil one!!! We could bug the momma together!;)

Advertisement