Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cost of keeping a suckler cow

• 26-11-2009 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Am currently operating a beef finishing system but am considering getting a few sucklers for next year. Just wondering what is the average cost of keeping a continental X suckler cow in a spring calving herd
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Roughly one big bale silage for 20 cows per day, so depending on what part of the country you are in you need to feed em for 100 to 150 days, so 5 to 7 bales per cow at 15 yoyo a bale about 75 yoyo for a short winter (75 cents a day) and 110 yoyo roughly for a long winter. could be a bit cheaper with hay or straw but they won't put on weight with straw, you would have to feed meal with the straw.

Hope this helps

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭DanFindy

All im saying is there dam hard to feed compared to fattening bullocks or heifers !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

€400 per cow was a figure thrown around a lot a few years back as the cost of keeping the cow for a full year. Obviously a big variation but that's the figure that sticks in my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭massey woman

Dont forget the veterinary costs,compliance costs,slurry,light,fertilizer,mart fees,calving Jack or vet,diesel,rent,bank interest,labour,fencing,fees ,transport,insurance etc etc
    You would be amazed at the added significant incidental costs which add up cumulatively ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

tvo is operating a farm with cattle already so his fixed costs like insurance etc woudn't change unless they go grazing the side of the road, vet bill could be higher with calving. If somebody is:confused: doing only suckler cows they could divide the total costs by the number of cows and get a cost per cow that way.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mossfort

its a bad time to be getting into sucklers with the price of weanlings this year.
    plus you will be up all night watching them to calve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

mossfort wrote: »
    its a bad time to be getting into sucklers with the price of weanlings this year.
    plus you will be up all night watching them to calve.
    i would say the complete opposite now is the time when they are cheap if all farmers were getting 1300euros for their weanlings would sucklers be cheap? i am after buying 20 so far and looking for 20 more, now they are not cheap but are a little cheaper, farmers are seeing the point of not holding on to a cow that is only producing a calf worth 500euros when they can have a cow with a calf worth 800euros and both cows cost the same to keep, i sld a cow 3 weeks ago in the mart a big fine blonde cow in calf to a bb [ovo] she made 1480euro i got a phone call yesterday from the farmer that bought her he was not happy that the cow had a charlaois calf, i told him go off and dna the calf and i will very happy to refund all monies and costs, i told him thats wyy the cow was sold she always had a bad calf.rant over:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Suckler numbers are down 6% this year. If this continues, and it will, with the price of weanlings down, it will get to a pont when weanlings get scarce and the price rises again.
    As for being up all night with cows calving, it's well balanced with not having to stand all day in a cold mart buying.
    The majority calve on their own anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mossfort

if theyre calving to charolais bulls and the like they wont calve on their own .
    its not as simple as coming out in the morning and finding that all is well.
    buying suckler cows at 1500 euros it takes a long time to break even when it costs up to 400 euros to keep a cow for a year.
    plus you will have to pick them up bulling if your using ai or if not you will have to purchase a stock bull.

Advertisement