Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fluke & Worms

• 23-11-2009 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

I housed cattle in the last two weeks (Cows, weanlings & heifers), & I want to dose them for fluke and worms. Any advice on what to dose them with and when is the best time would be much appreciated.......

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

jmurf100 wrote: »
    I housed cattle in the last two weeks (Cows, weanlings & heifers), & I want to dose them for fluke and worms. Any advice on what to dose them with and when is the best time would be much appreciated.......
    tribex 10% 5ltrs 130 euros for fluke 60ml for cows, animec 1% 500mls 33.50 euros at 2mls per 50kgs body weight for everthing else including lice all the above was the cheapest way i could dose mine for, also got a hook to dose the cows with and it worked brill no catching cows by the nose,stress free for me and cow.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Any advice on what to dose them with and when is the best time would be much appreciated.......

Just to be awkward....I'll suggest what you don't use.....all my own opinion of course.

Levamisole based doses (Nilverm, Duphalevamisole) are not effective against inhibited stomach worms. These need to be cleared out this time of the year or they'll cause problems later in the Spring.

Ivomec-Super....the ivomec part is fine, the fluke part is ONLY effective against ADULT fluke. These are fluke that entered the animal three months ago.... rather a long time for fluke to accumulate and be left off scot-free. When do you think most fluke enter the animal................?
    This dose should not be used as the sole means of sorting out fluke for the housing period.

Albendazole doses (Albex, Valbazen).. good worm doses but fall down when they pretend to deal with fluke....only get adults. Use as a worm dose and get something else for fluke.

Fluke doses.. you need to READ the blurb. Fluke are divided into adult/mature, late immature and early immature. See what it says on the label.... and what isn't mentioned.
    Adults are three months in the animal. Late immature 6-12 weeks. Early immature 0-6 weeks.
    If using a product that doesn't get early immatures then you'll need to repeat it later or wait long enough after housing until all fluke are vulnerable....something you can't do in a bad year, so repeat Trodax/Deldrax dosing done at housing 6 weeks later.

The only product that successfully hits early immatures is triclabendazole (Fasinex, Tribex) which kills them down to two weeks after entry into the animal. Hence the advice to dose with Fasinex two weeks after housing.
    Worm dosing can be done the day of housing.

Don't forget lice. Do at housing. Dont wait....they will have lice already.

Proper dosing done now will give 6 parasite-free months.... a gift at the time of year when the feeding is costing it's most for the year. Can you afford not to do it properly?

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Greysides,

Very informative. Are you a Vet?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭jmurf100

greysides wrote: »
    Just to be awkward....I'll suggest what you don't use.....all my own opinion of course.

Levamisole based doses (Nilverm, Duphalevamisole) are not effective against inhibited stomach worms. These need to be cleared out this time of the year or they'll cause problems later in the Spring.

Ivomec-Super....the ivomec part is fine, the fluke part is ONLY effective against ADULT fluke. These are fluke that entered the animal three months ago.... rather a long time for fluke to accumulate and be left off scot-free. When do you think most fluke enter the animal................?
    This dose should not be used as the sole means of sorting out fluke for the housing period.

Albendazole doses (Albex, Valbazen).. good worm doses but fall down when they pretend to deal with fluke....only get adults. Use as a worm dose and get something else for fluke.

Fluke doses.. you need to READ the blurb. Fluke are divided into adult/mature, late immature and early immature. See what it says on the label.... and what isn't mentioned.
    Adults are three months in the animal. Late immature 6-12 weeks. Early immature 0-6 weeks.
    If using a product that doesn't get early immatures then you'll need to repeat it later or wait long enough after housing until all fluke are vulnerable....something you can't do in a bad year, so repeat Trodax/Deldrax dosing done at housing 6 weeks later.

The only product that successfully hits early immatures is triclobendazole (Fasinex, Tribex) which kills them down to two weeks after entry into the animal. Hence the advice to dose with Fasinex two weeks after housing.
    Worm dosing can be done the day of housing.

Don't forget lice. Do at housing. Dont wait....they will have lice already.

Proper dosing done now will give 6 parasite-free months.... a gift at the time of year when the feeding is costing it's most for the year. Can you afford not to do it properly?

Does this mean that if I dose with Fasinex two weeks after housing that I have dealt with all fluke or do I still need to dose with a different dose in order to get the mature fluke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

pakalasa wrote: »
    Greysides,

Very informative. Are you a Vet?

could well be, or could be somebody like myself who can't afford to flush money down the drain. some of the advise given on different threads re dosing is literally doing this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Does this mean that if I dose with Fasinex two weeks after housing that I have dealt with all fluke

Yes.

Fasinex datasheet

Most of the info needed is on the datasheets. You just need to know how to interpret them. Sometimes it's what they don't say that's important.

Use combination products with particularly careful thought.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭k mac

Which is best for lice. I dosed with fasinex super at housing should this look after fluke and worm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

k mac wrote: »
    Which is best for lice.

I always find a shot of Coopers SpotOn does the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭millertime78

I used Closamectin pour on about 3 weeks before housing, it put a great shine on them. Expensive but worth it imho

k mac wrote: »
    Which is best for lice. I dosed with fasinex super at housing should this look after fluke and worm?

Wormer component is levamisole. See post #3.

Below is an excerpt from the datasheet.
    Special precaution(s) for use in animals

The product is effective on the mature and developing immature stages of Ostertagia, but is not indicated for the control
    of inhibited larvae (i.e. Type II ostertagiasis).

Type II Ostertagia infection
    Infective larvae ingested from September onwards undergo a change in their normal parasitic development, resulting in a period of delayed development at the early fourth larval stage while within the abomasal wall. The change is thought to be brought about by either cold or desiccation in their preparasitic exposure. In the late autumn, calves may harbour many thousands of such larvae. Type II ostertagiasis results when these inhibited larvae resume their development, usually from February to May, the emerging larvae causing the same lesions as those causing type I disease.
    Although adult cattle acquire immunity by the age of 18 months, occasionally bulls grazing calf paddocks or cows suffering from immunosuppression due to other diseases (Orpin, 1994), such as fascioliasis, may suffer from type II ostertagiasis.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement

I used Closamectin pour on about 3 weeks before housing, it put a great shine on them. Expensive but worth it imho

Datasheet for Closamectin.
    4.2 Indications for use, specifying the target species

For the treatment of mixed trematode (fluke) and nematode or arthropod infestations due to roundworms, lungworms, eyeworms,
    warbles, mites and lice of cattle.

Gastrointestinal roundworms (adults and fourth stage larvae)

Ostertagia ostertagi (including inhibited O. ostertagi), Haemonchus placei, Trichostrongylus axei, Trichostrongylus
    colubriformis, Cooperia spp, Oesophagostomum radiatum, Nematodirus helvetianus (adult), Strongyloides papillosus (adult).
    Lungworms (adult and fourth stage larvae)
    Dictyocaulus viviparus

Trematodes (adult and late immatures)

Fasciola gigantica
    Fasciola hepatica
    Treatment of fluke at 12 weeks (mature) >95% efficacy.
    Treatment of fluke at 7 weeks (late immature) >95% efficacy.

It does do some damage to younger fluke but kill rate drops after 7 weeks.

I think it works down to about 5 weeks with moderate effects, IIRC.

So, only 8 weeks of fluke left to kill.

The persistence effect of ivomec means that it should still be effective at housing three weeks later so worms are covered.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭adne

I thought it was recommended to only use this after housing as it nmot effective if gets rain ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Hi..
    Sorry to hijack this thread but...
    We had a mixed bunch of weanlings in about 3 weeks and I did them with Closamectin as it was easy to do them on the slats and labour is scarse..

I since realise I under estimated the weight of one bull at ~300kg when he is about 380-400kg. He is still licking at himself and dungs very loose. The others have responded better.

It's been about 10 days since application... My question is how long do I wait before re-appication and would I use a full dose for 400kg?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

dose him now

Advertisement