Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

american in ireland

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

dave2pvd wrote:
    Hobbes, you're right. Good point.

Same thing over here in the US, just a different flavour.
    You'll find that out quite quickly if you bring up WWII.

In Britain it's all those brave lads in the Battle of Britain, which apparently was the turning point of the war.
    In France it's all la Résistance, which i guess rendered German occupation an exercise in futility.
    In USA it's all D-Day, which apparently was the turning point of the war, and also how America "saved Europe".
    Neverminding of course, those huge Russian armies and massive battles in the East which had Germany on the retreat.:rolleyes:

Though i haven't been to Russia to ask them about it.
    Nor the Poles for that matter, nor Czechs.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Stimpyone

I'm a big fan of Mexican food, unfortunatly there's not a huge amount of it here.

Mexican food fans.... http://www.elpasorestaurant.com

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭bubonicus

I've been to Texas and many other States in America, and I can honestly say that Texans are the most down to earth, not fake, group of Americans going.

They are alot like the Irish with their hospitality and friendliness. So you should be cool.

So the first thing I noticed in Texas (even compared to the rest of America) is everything is huge. So a word of advice. Take everything you are used to the size of, like cars, Malls, Food portions, roads, Trucks....etc.... and half them. Then you get an idea of Ireland.

Just anote on the huge thing. I was in a resturant one time over in Texas and ordered a slice of cake. The waitress told me it was big and I said no that's fine and she repeated no it's big. I said bring it out. Soon after the manager came out and started to laugh at me while the waitress brought the head sized slice of cake out. Manager said I could have it for free if I finished. And did I finish it. F*CK NO.

I love Texas, I fired a WWII thompson MG over there for $20.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Sangre wrote:
    To OP, expect lots of questions about yourself and where you're from. Irish people like to chat and knowing a bit of background info. really helps. They may be asking where you're from in Texas but what they really want to do is to be able to find a common link between yourselves.

Very well put...it may seem nosey at first but thats just cause no one in the states would show any interest in you or your background (it wouldnt be PC to ask someone where they came from!)

MR TExan OP any hint of where you plan to settle down? Coming over to work or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

free2fly wrote:
    Rather ironic that you say how mad you are for "fake tan" and then turn around and accuse Americans of being "fake" ;) May I ask what you found so "fake" about us? Where in the States have you visited?
    I think Greenfigure was talking about the way some American sales-people can be overly "nice" with forced smiles. In Ireland, if a waitress serves you with a big smile and says "Enjoy!", then she really means it, and she's genuinely happy in her job (or just got laid).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Stimpyone wrote:
    Mexican food fans.... http://www.elpasorestaurant.com

The prices!!

By the way, are you a woman or a man? If your a woman you can join the american womans club of dublin - they have a link on the embassy site.

Another thing to remember is that the bus time tables are complete fiction and add extra time into your getting around plans because there are bound to be screw ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Sangre wrote:
    Especially prevalent in the service industry, being accosted at the door with huge smiles and hellos...here feck off, I'm just looking.

I can very much empathise with that. When I was in New York it freaked me out. Walk into clothes shop, guy at door gives me a big smile and says "Hey! Hows it going?" and I'm all like, "Whoa, who the hell are you? Ooooh..."

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Sir Random wrote:
    I think Greenfigure was talking about the way some American sales-people can be overly "nice" with forced smiles. In Ireland, if a waitress serves you with a big smile and says "Enjoy!", then she really means it, and she's genuinely happy in her job (or just got laid).

I hope she washed her hands first! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Froot

Hobbes wrote:
    I hope she washed her hands first! :eek:

Why take the heat of the moment away from the situation? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭free2fly

Zillah wrote:
    I can very much empathise with that. When I was in New York it freaked me out. Walk into clothes shop, guy at door gives me a big smile and says "Hey! Hows it going?" and I'm all like, "Whoa, who the hell are you? Ooooh..."

Yeah, that freaks me out too sometimes. I always say "Thanks I'm just looking and walk away".

I've been a waitress and a bartender. My smile was never fake and I was always pleasant to my customers. And I do care about where people are from. And what their story is. So, not all Americans are like that. Some of us are real and truly are friendly and caring :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Froot

:D I can see they trained you well

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement