Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If you could get this for €800, would you?

• 09-10-2006 2:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,839 ✭✭✭✭

I know IBM are a very famous brand, but I've never heard any reviews on how good they are. In particular, their laptops.

I've come across the following deal for about €800 delivered. Do you think it's worth it?

IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad G41

IBM, Lenovo
    80 GB HD
    Processor Type: Intel Pentium 4 M
    Operating System:Windows XP Professional
    DVD+/-RW
    Processor Speed: 3,330 MHz
    Memory (RAM): 1,000 MB

P4-M 548, 1GB RAM, 80GB 5400rpm HDD, 15 SXGA+(1400x1050) TFT LCD, 128MB nVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200, CD-RW/DVD-R Multi-Burner, IBM 802.11b/g wireless(MPCI), Modem(CDC), 1Gb Ethernet(LOM), 12 cell Li-Ion battery, WinXP Pro

It's a refurbished machine.

Any opinions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Hmm I wouldn't trust refurbished mainly because of the battery and there is probably a good chance that its run down a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,839 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Is the battery the only concern you'd have? They wont really be used without a mains connection anyway, they will be used as desktop replacements really.

Here's what it says about the refurbished issue:
    BM/Lenovo Factory Grade A Refurbished Certified L Claim Product. These Are Factory Sealed computers Some Are Excess New Products-Surplus Units That Are Still New, Duplicate Orders, Canceled Orders And Systems That Have Been Returned Because They Didn't Meet Customers Specific Needs And Some Are Discontinued Products In Perfect Working Condition they All come complete with all original accessories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭Conar

I have been using an IBM laptop for over a year now. I think they're great.
    I've left it on the sitting room floor a few times and come back to find my 1 year old son standing on it (while closed over) and its still fine.
    They seem to be really well made.

I'd say that if the battery was screwed you'd probably pick on up on EBAY.

It says it has 2 hour battery life. Besides the battery anyway, do you reckon it's a good deal? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭Conar

Compared to this on the Dell Outlet (refurb site) it seems good.
    I don't exactly stay as up to date on laptop technology as I would on desktops though so I wouldn't know if there are better places to buy refurbs.

SYSTEM SPECIFICATION
    Inspiron 630M (System Identifier. D0WLB7WB)
    Inspiron 630M Pentium M Proc 740 1.73 GHz
    Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition

System Price EUR 747.39
    Dell recommends Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional

Operating System: Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition
    Memory: 512MB 533MHz DDR2SDRAM(1x512)
    Floppy Drive: No Floppy Drive
    Hard Disk Drive: 60GB (5.400rpm) Hard Drive
    NoteBook Screen: 14.1 inch WXGA (1280x800) LCD
    Modem: Internal 56K Modem
    Internal 56K Modem
    Network Interface Card: Intel ProWireless 2200 802.11b/g Mini PCI Wireless LAN Card
    DVD Drive: 8X DVD+/-RW
    Software: Microsoft® Works® 7.0
    English - Adobe Reader 6.0
    MISC: UK/Ire - Internal Keyboard
    D-Series 65W AC adapter - ULD
    Photo Shop Photo Album (5.22) - trial version

• Advertisement

The IBM seems better alright, plus it has a very important feature. A display with a vertical res of 1050. I think this is probably the best offer for what my friends want anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

It seems fine to me besides the battery issue (the IBM). Is there any sort of warranty with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

As long as there is a warranty with it yes. I would much rather an ibm over a dell equivilent, nothing wrong with dell but ibm machines are fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

cormie wrote:
    Any opinions?
    buy it.

3 year warranty which is pretty good alright:) I've tried a final haggle which will put it to about €700 delivered, so hopefully that will work:cool:

Thanks for the replies everyone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Conar wrote:
    I have been using an IBM laptop for over a year now. I think they're great.

I've been using IBM laptops for almost 8 years now, and I really think they are great. :)

Buy it. Battery concerns aside, they are the mutts nuts in terms of laptops. Better value compared to Dell.

One minor thing - the Pentium M is based on the Pentium 3 architecture, so I am not so sure it is technically correct to say the processor is a Pentium 4 M. Also, a processor running at 3.3Mhz on a laptop? Strange. I have a 3Ghz desktop processor in my HP laptop and I get 2 minutes out of the battery. So I reckon it might be worth confirming the specs before purchase. /pedantic.

Sorry, I'm not too familiar with my MHZ and all that. What exactly should I be asking to confirm in particular? What seems strange in the above spec?

Ignore me. I'm not awake this morning and I'm being too pedantic. I just checked a few specs of that machine and it is fine.

Go buy it.

thanks for all the help everyone:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

i got my first thinkpad nearly 2 years which is R52 ,a business model type laptop,never bring any problems for me.

PLEASE go for it.800euro is a extremely nice price to get a thinkpad.
    Really recommend that.

p/s:do they give you that very 'delicious' 1yr international warranty?that warranty might give you a hand if u really got a problem in the future .Anyway,i DONT think that you will ever need that warranty unless you break your thinkpad by throwing from 10th floor,which,it may still 'survive'.emm........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

While I realise the IBM is well built machine, that machine is neither a desktop replacement (its not high enough spec) and not all that portable (poor battery). Is there not a better IBM you can get? I have a old Sony Desktop replacment and find the poor battery life really limiting. The battery life will reduce over time so be aware of that.

Incidentally I got a 640m, Dual Core 1.83Ghz, 1GB, 80GB, DVDRW, 9 cell battery, and a 14" 1440x900, GMA950. All for about 750 incl VAT. While its not the same quality as the IBM it has a 6hr+ battery life. Which is why I bought it. I'd prefer a Sony or an IBM (mainly for a better quality screen) but I'd need to spend a lot more money to get the same or better battery life.The outlet has bargains only some of the time, a lot of the stuff is even more expensive than the main Dell site. So you need to watch it and wait for a bargain to pop up.

Why do you need the 1050 res? As this seems one of the few machines to have that res you don't have many options.

thanks for the input, both my brother and friend need that res for work. The spec on the above is more than enough for the usage it will have. When I say desktop replacement, I mean something that will do everything they need to be done, they aren't hardcore gamers or anything so no need to have the latest and greatest specs:D

Battery life isn't an issue either as they will be using with a mains, 99.9% of the time:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Sorry posted link in wrong thread.

Don't really have time to read that (12 pages:eek:). Is it saying the above machine is good or bad? It would still serve the purpose as a basic desktop replacement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

FYI

Lenovo is a chinese company who bought the laptop division off IBM. So it might still be branded IBM but no longer manufactured by them.

• Advertisement

Hmm, didn't know that, does that change things for the worse?

I ordered 2 of them anyway. Did quite a bit of haggling. The starting bid price was $899, the buyitnow price was $1199, I rang them up and asked what deal could they do if I got 2, they said $50 off each, wasn't happy with that so I emailed asking for 2 of the machines for $1800 delivered (considering the buyitnow on them both would have been $2400 plus shipping, this was a bit hopeful), they said $2,000 is the best they could do, the bid was ending soon with no bids for $899 so I mentioned this and they still said $2000, I said $1850 and we have a deal.. they said ok:D

So I'm getting them for both for less than €750 delivered each. Let's just hope we don't get stung for import duties now:o

cormie wrote:
    Hmm, didn't know that, does that change things for the worse?

No, all they did was change the name on the entrance to the factory in China.

They were always made in China, or at least have been for a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭tonyboy247

In generall IBM systems are OK though I had the unsavoury task of testing one of these out a while back. This model is a bit like a Dyson hoover…. It sucks... but.. the power stays good if you know what I mean. ;)

I don't get what you're saying:confused::o

Advertisement