Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mobile phones; are they killing us now

Options
  • 05-07-2004 11:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭

more stories in the papers today re mobile and health effects

are mobile phones the new cigerettes somethig we/they know is doing serious damage to our health now but we'll wait 30 years to take it seriously...

i know there so other things damaging are health we ignore too such as chemicals in our food etc c

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭Xterminator

I think the jury is still out on this issue.

While there have been scare stories in the popular media, hard evidence is lacking.
    I think the papers will print anything to make a few quid, but that doesnt mean its true.

For instance the theory of increased cancer in your head was touted, but seems to have been debunked by the facts. When a reputable medical organisation like the IMO announces the danger, i will take note, but until then I will continueto treat all stories with a pinch of salt.

X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

i dunno, i think theres something in what chewys saying, i think our children will look back on our generation and mobiles the same way we now look at our grandparents smoking and dying of lung cancer, obviously its not like were gonna be 90 and have to talk on the mobile for 30 mins a day to get our fix, but more that the dangers were widely touted and the vast majority ignored em. i mean how many adults under say 60 do you know without a mobile phone? i can count the ones i know on my fingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

I neither believe nor disbelieve it at this point.

But I don't put my phone in the front pockets of my trousers either!
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

how long did it take the imo to make warning statements about cigarettes....i have no idea probably about 10-15 years after the manufacturers knew i'd guess

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Originally posted by chewy
    Yours may be - mine is not.
    how long did it take the imo to make warning statements about cigarettes....i have no idea probably about 10-15 years after the manufacturers knew i'd guess
    Which was how long after they were known in popular parlance as "coffin nails"? 50 years? 60?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭article6

I honestly don't know much about the science of mobile phones, but I don't use one - whatever it does to your health, it also costs a bundle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭df001i6876

In my opinion.
    theres a lot of lives been save through mobile phones . they could one day replace landline . You must remember that man . made a fire .?
    cars boats airplanes the list is endless.
    all cause death.they will always find . something wrong . Untill then i will not worry about it.They are a good thing too have.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭gom

Originally posted by df001i6876
    In my opinion.
    theres a lot of lives been save through mobile phones . they could one day replace landline . You must remember that man . made a fire .?
    all cause death.they will always find . something wrong . Untill then i will not worry about it.They are a good thing too have.

Man invented Guns and Bullets too

Not to mention Nukes..

The number one killer of humans is other humans

Stay away

Originally posted by gom
    Man invented Guns and Bullets too

Not to mention Nukes..

The number one killer of humans is other humans

Stay away
    and AIDS too if the true is knowen. stay in and wrap

myself with bandages just like mummy . i agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

You must remember that man . made a fire .?
    all cause death.
    You've also got to remember a significant fact and it's why the cigarette analogy may prove relevant should mobile phones prove a health hazard. Cars, boats and airplanes can be used to cause damage or kill but only if they're used for a purpose they weren't designed for. Should mobile phones prove dangerous they'd be dangerous when used for the purpose for which they were specifically designed and used in accordance with the manufacturers' instructions which fail to indicate any health dangers (unlike guns or nukes). That's the key to the tobacco cases and if mobile phones prove dangerous that'll be the lead-in to any mobile phone cases.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by sceptre
    That's the key to the tobacco cases and if mobile phones prove dangerous that'll be the lead-in to any mobile phone cases.
    The other key is, of course, that the manufacturers know they're dangerous and are concealing that fact.

the thing that have come light that are danerous too man kind;

cigarette are a drug . they cause a addiction if you do not stop they killyou.

airoplanes cause Dvt

and theres alcoholic drinks. i wonder what that cause after 20years

food this is my favourite can anyone tell me what we can eat that is good for us.

kidds playing out . yearsago it was safe . to day well who knows.

mobile phones i just don,t know, whatt they will add too the list. in twenty years.

all that i am saying is give a kid a mobile phone you know were they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by oscarBravo
    The other key is, of course, that the manufacturers know they're dangerous and are concealing that fact.
    Ah of course. I left that out because I plain forgot about it. Presumably that's currently not present in the secret vaults of the phone companies. Key part of (unstrict) liability of course, thanks for reminding me:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

In my opinion.
    theres a lot of lives been save through mobile phones . they could one day replace landline .
    Just a reminder - due to Eircom's pricing policies there are already MORE mobiles than land lines in Ireland.
    Speed bumps save lives - but kill more. Mobiles can be handy, but criminals use them too and people are being killed in Ireland just so their mobiles can be stolen.

Radiation from mobiles drops off rapidly with disatnce - so if it were possible to shield an earphone so it was NOT used as an aerial that would lessen the exposure. Note: all those things to shield you from mobile radiation are snakeoil - if they work they will intefere with reception and will just cause the mobile to use more power to break through the shielding to contact the phone mast.

as for the comment that cars planes and boats can kill if used for unintentional purposes the ming just boggles, for cars to be safe in this country drives would have to do a real driving test, speeds limited to 30 mph etc. and a harpoon put in the centre of the steering wheel, a decent dead man's handle fitted, soundproofing removed and radios and anything that intefers with drivers concentration banned. .

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    Speed bumps save lives - but kill more.
    Source?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://society.guardian.co.uk/governinglondon/story/0,8150,1192276,00.html
    More seriously, the London ambulance service has claimed that 500 heart attack victims lose their lives each year because humps add three minutes to response times.

Theres a lot off thing man as invented. some make life easy some kill.

so what i do is say , try it if i don't like it then do without. Its that simple

but in life the curiosity all way gets the better off me. So what you only live once.

Although i would not force anybody too do somethink they that they thought was dangerous. And if i thought by giveing my child A mobile phone its going too kill him in twenty years time . Well i would think. The mobile phone is a killer now. So is fire and so on ,so i wouldnt buy him one. Or let him play with fire.I do think the jury is still out on moblie phones.

hamburgers kill too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Batbat

who cares, everything is killing us, electricity magnetic fields, pollution, the sun!, chips, smokes, beer, sex oh yeah and mobile phones.

live in fear or just say fuk it.

Originally posted by Batbat
    who cares, everything is killing us, electricity magnetic fields, pollution, the sun!, chips, smokes, beer, sex oh yeah and mobile phones.

live in fear or just say fuk it.

i agree were do we hide. enjoy life.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's a typical modern scenario of plenty of information and zero facts.

We hear hot air all over the place, reports of malformed and stupid babies born beside transmitters in the Sun, other reports of strange tumours appearing beside their mobile phone pocket, etc etc, but for the most part, reports of ill-health are extremely infrequent - does anyone here know first-hand of someone diagnosed with cancer or other ill health, blamed on mobile phone use? - and wildly over stated by the popular press.
    Fear is what makes people buy newspapers, and this is just another tool used to keep people afraid.#

As was said before, I have yet to hear a single reputable source tell me conclusively that mobile phones pose a threat. It could be a few years before we get any kind of data on it.

Personally, I believe that it's quite possible that some people, already predisposed to developing cancer, have some threat of developing localised tumours from microwave radiation.
    I myself have sometimes felt the muscles in my leg spasm as if there was a phone ringing in my pocket, when there isn't, but that could just be from being used a phone being there - like an amputee who can still feel his hands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

Originally posted by seamus
    It's a typical modern scenario of plenty of information and zero facts.

Quite often it's not even information just anecdotes, supposition or individual scientific reports taken out of context and hyped.

At the end of the day live expectancy over the last 50 years has increased significantly. And that's despite the cars, the power lines, the alcohol, the mad cows, the mobile phones and what ever other scare of the week the publicity seeking media is running. (personally I think there should be a ban on breakfast radio DJs reading out "surveys" on air. Or at least is should be punishable by immersion in cow slurry for an hour or so :-)

For the first time this century life expectancy is starting to decline in the western world. But scientists and medical practitioners are very sure the cause is obesity. So Johnny sitting at home with his plate of chips, drinking a coke while watching the TV is in greater danger than someone who stops to answer their phone under a power line while walking to work.

Excepting of course that it is not in the middle of a thunderstom :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,926 ✭✭✭✭Stark

One thing that has been shown about mobile phones is that carrying a mobile phone around in your pocket all day reduces your sperm count by 30% and sperm motility by 30-50%.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I'd be wary of mobiles....mainly because I'm a heavy user.

Although there is no concrete evidence, there seems to be growing 'pockets' of health related illnesses near pylons & mobile masts, so I'm not taking any chances.

Perhaps its due to scare mongering, but I conciously dont carry my mobile in my trouser pocket these days, either on the desk in work, or in the shirt pocket when walking...

Whilst I dont think you can orove it, you cant discount it....

maybe you should get a lead box ,

or better still throw it away and use a walky talky some reach 2 miles.

Stark wrote:
    One thing that has been shown about mobile phones is that carrying a mobile phone around in your pocket all day reduces your sperm count by 30% and sperm motility by 30-50%.
    the single mans pill. i all ways thought that append when you got the bill.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement