Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bird house

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

There's an access block on the link. I assume it's a standard bird house. They are usually fixed to a wall or tree, about 2metres high and preferably north east, or north facing. The ability to open it and clean it out is a preference of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭randombar

There's an access block on the link. I assume it's a standard bird house. They are usually fixed to a wall or tree, about 2metres high and preferably north east, or north facing. The ability to open it and clean it out is a preference of mine.

Link updated there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

I am also a bird lover, love watching them in garden, but too many cats about, , looking for ideas for feeding station for them that keeps them safe from cats, would be much appreciated

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I seem to remember seeing some that you can stick to window-panes, they wouldn't be as fancy looking as those in your picture, but they could be stuck to an upstairs window, away from the reach of cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Some solid looking tables in that pic, and good nest boxes in the background.

Some "nestboxes" are too gimiky and not suitable for nesting. Also they need to be fixed to something - not hung on a string.

Those triangular boxes in the picture would be for feeding

Re cats the important thing is not to site feeders within ambush range of cat - e.g. no tall grass or shrub they can hide in nearby.

Birds also appreciate water. Some sort of bird bath?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭randombar

Some solid looking tables in that pic, and good nest boxes in the background.

Some "nestboxes" are too gimiky and not suitable for nesting. Also they need to be fixed to something - not hung on a string.

Those triangular boxes in the picture would be for feeding

Re cats the important thing is not to site feeders within ambush range of cat - e.g. no tall grass or shrub they can hide in nearby.

Birds also appreciate water. Some sort of bird bath?

So would you hang one of those nest boxes from a north facing wall?

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Yes next boxes should be installed securely to wall or tree or shed etc. Out of wind. Out of direct sunlight. So typically this means facing North. Different species prefer different size and shape of hole. Best chance here is generally Blue Tit. Then maybe Great Tit. Robin too - prefers large rectangular ledge opening.

Birds like house sparrows, tree sparrows, Coal tit, and others might also use these boxes. Consider cat traffic/ability to hide/leap. Ideally clear flight path in. For some of them, e.g. robin, a wall with ivy would be great for cover. Robin and Coal Tit can nest low. Others suggest 1.5 - 2.5 m above ground. Away from feeders.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Juliet799

You could use an Aspects Window feeder, It suitable for those who enjoy bird watching through the window. It did take a few days for the birds to start using it, but it is by far our favorite feeder now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement