Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop Needed fairly quickly - Recommendations please

Options
  • 18-11-2019 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭

Been a good few years since I've looked at getting a new Laptop, the one I'm on still using windows 7 professional and is on its last legs and has served me well but its gone so slow its almost stopped at this stage.

What I currently have is a Lenovo Thinkpad
    Processor : Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M520 @2.40ghz 2.40ghz
    Installed memory (RAM)4.00GB
    64 - bit operating system

I'll be using the laptop for video and picture editing. Also almost all aspects of Microsoft office will be used. I use it for social media work too.
    I don't necessarily need it to be brand new, could go with a refurbished one.

I could go to a budget up to €800 but no more.
    Any recommendation would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 wuddadid

What Lenovo Thinkpad is it? What model?

Some Lenovo Thinkpads are heavily upgradeable and can outperform many new systems once upgraded.

One suggestion for a new Laptop might be the Acer Nitro 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

wuddadid wrote: »
    What Lenovo Thinkpad is it? What model?

Some Lenovo Thinkpads are heavily upgradeable and can outperform many new systems once upgraded.

One suggestion for a new Laptop might be the Acer Nitro 5.

t510

sugarman wrote: »
    Its a first gen i5 as per the OP.

It's is a t510 as per the OP.

CPU model ≠ Laptop model.

It might be better to actually recommend a laptop seeing as the market is flooded with them. That's what OP asked for.

If OP is comfortable with upgrading components on laptops then I might suggest buying a Lenovo T440P. You can buy one barebones for about €100-€150 and then upgrade it to be an absolute beast.

Search this on Youtube to see how:
    "Ultimate Lenovo T440p Laptop Upgrade Guide | Screen, CPU, RAM, HDDs, & Keyboard"

I can't post the link because I'm a new user.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

wuddadid wrote: »
    It's is a t510 as per the OP.

CPU model ≠ Laptop model.

It might be better to actually recommend a laptop seeing as the market is flooded with them. That's what OP asked for.

If OP is comfortable with upgrading components on laptops then I might suggest buying a Lenovo T440P. You can buy one barebones for about €100-€150 and then upgrade it to be an absolute beast.

Search this on Youtube to see how:
    "Ultimate Lenovo T440p Laptop Upgrade Guide | Screen, CPU, RAM, HDDs, & Keyboard"

I can't post the link because I'm a new user.

Had a look at that video, cheers. It would be a little more than I would be comfortable doing.

I've seen a few suggestions on here to go to the likes of adverts and get a refurbished one. I have looked and have seen one or two that come in at a few hundred lower then my budget.

These two are what im looking at.

http://www.adverts.ie/19235610
    http://www.adverts.ie/19293889

Had a look at that video, cheers. It would be a little more than I would be comfortable doing.

I've seen a few suggestions on here to go to the likes of adverts and get a refurbished one. I have looked and have seen one or two that come in at a few hundred lower then my budget.

These two are what im looking at.
    W541
    T450

Absolutely go with the W541. Here's why:

The processor is so much better.
    The IPS screen is exactly what you need for photo/video editing.
    The 32GB Ram is great. You should be able to open at least 3 tabs on Chrome! (joke)

A quick 'w541 vs t450 reddit' search on Google gives you all the confirmation you need.

Ask him what SSD brand it is though. You'd want it to be some reputable brand like crucial, samsung, kingston, wd or maybe sandisk or adata. Otherwise tell him to leave it out and drop the price and just buy one on amazon (I bought crucial recently and it's amazingly fast.)

• Advertisement
Advertisement