Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

In regard to the attendence I wouldnt pay to watch o neills dinosaur football in turners cross no mind go to dublin to see it.

No questions are being asked by the media regarding his daft team selection,rubbish football and lack of enthusiasim for the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭RickyOFlaherty

Austria thrashing the swedes tonight. Looks like world cup qualification will be just as difficult...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

During Traps era, 1 team qualified and 1 went to a playoff. Now we have two qualifying and 1 going to playoff. If this qualifying campaign was happening during Traps era, we would be in big trouble right now.

No, I disagree.

Ireland remain in contention for an automatic qualification top two spot. Generally people won't clamour and call for a manager's head while qualification remains reasonably possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

TheCitizen wrote: »
    No, I disagree.

Ireland remain in contention for an automatic qualification top two spot.

Thanks to a fluke result in Georgia beating Scotland. I want us to qualiffy as much as anyone but I think most will agree it wasn't looking likely after losing to Scotland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,885 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

i fear for us in the germany game if they are on there a game. Please please please poland win in glasgow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

If Poland get a draw in Glasgow, they just need to play out a draw with us to see us in at 2nd and 3rd, correct? There'd be very little for Poland to play for as Germany would assumedly have the group wrapped up by then, but the Polish would have a good bit to lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,399 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

spiralism wrote: »
    If Poland get a draw in Glasgow, they just need to play out a draw with us to see us in at 2nd and 3rd, correct? There'd be very little for Poland to play for as Germany would assumedly have the group wrapped up by then, but the Polish would have a good bit to lose.

Yep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Some posters have a warped memory of Trap's era. Trap was generally supported during the first 4 years of his time. It was after the Euro' s in 2012 when results went pear shaped and the qualifying campaign was over a year before it was concluded that people called for Trap's head in large numbers. Ireland have struggled at times under MON but have remained in contention for qualification throughout. Big difference there.

With 2 games to go, we are only 4 points behind the World champions!!

Thanks to a fluke result in Georgia beating Scotland. I want us to qualiffy as much as anyone but I think most will agree it wasn't looking likely after losing to Scotland.

After losing to Scotland? Nope, wrong again I would say. That was a setback but there was a long way to go after that. Scotland really had the bit between the teeth that night, there seemed to be a grudge element in their games v us, perhaps over McGeady and McCarthy among other things.

We haven't set the Group alight at any time yet, but we have remained in contention throughout. The draw with Scotland in Dublin was disappointing, we should've won that. We are a limited team, but we could end up qualifying if we punch our weight in the last couple of games and if we do qualify we won't be out of place when you consider some of the other teams that are likely to be there as well.

Scotland losing in Georgia was not a fluke result btw, by all accounts Georgia were well worth their win in that game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I watched the Georgia v Scotland game and Georgia were deserving winners.

As pessimistic as I was before Friday, once Georgia scored I saw nothing to suggest Scotland could win from there, maybe still get point but no more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,822 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

PTH2009 wrote: »
    i fear for us in the germany game if they are on there a game. Please please please poland win in glasgow

They won't be I'd imagine. I still expect a 0-2 or 1-2 victory for them though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,219 ✭✭✭✭briany

Trilla wrote: »
    They won't be I'd imagine. I still expect a 0-2 or 1-2 victory for them though

If exacting German standards are any way a thing, you'd expect there'd be pressure on them to put in a real performance worthy of the 'world champion' mantle in this group stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

briany wrote: »
    If exacting German standards are any way a thing, you'd expect there'd be pressure on them to put in a real performance worthy of the 'world champion' mantle in this group stage.

I think they will come to Dublin to win and win big. A draw would be great for us and the notion that we could beat them is madness. Eamonn Dunphy was talking out of his arse when he said we could beat them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I think they will come to Dublin to win and win big. A draw would be great for us and the notion that we could beat them is madness. Eamonn Dunphy was talking out of his arse when he said we could beat them.
    They have already been beaten by Poland, who we outplayed in Dublin. So our only options against them are a draw and loss? Do I think we will beat them? probably not, but you know the biggest reason we never do beat higher ranked team and cause upsets? Its because we dont believe we can. You hear of endless footballing upsets week in, week out at all levels. Except for the ROI team... I wonder why that is... Many teams that cause these upsets have less talent than us and are never there or thereabouts come the end of qualifying, unlike us. There is a confidence / psychological issue...

Idbatterim wrote: »
    They have already been beaten by Poland, who we outplayed in Dublin. So our only options against them are a draw and loss? Do I think we will beat them? probably not, but you know the biggest reason we never do beat higher ranked team and cause upsets? Its because we dont believe we can. You hear of endless footballing upsets week in, week out at all levels. Except for the ROI team... I wonder why that is... Some teams have less talent are never there or thereabouts come the end of qualifying, unlike us. There is a confidence / psychological issue...

I agree 100% but unfortunately we are not in the right mind set to go all out and attack Germany or any team for that matter. We just clam up and play long balls and side to side passes. I get angry when I see the ball going back to Given as everyone knows he is just going to hoof it up the field and before we know it we are on the back foot again.

• Advertisement

my dad is German and I support them after Ireland, I put a few bets on them for the worldcup, including winning it. So this isnt a Germany are crap, dunpy rant. I think dunphy often makes valid points, just goes about OTT in how he delivers them... This team is not as good as the one that won the worldcup, that's for sure. Now they have a few new players in and I am sure they will improve and are damn strong despite players like Lahm retiring...

chances of us getting a draw I would put at 30-40%, a win 10%, germany win maybe 50%, 40% for beating, 10% chance of hammering. We arent looking for a miracle here, we got a draw over there...

I reckon a 3 - 0 win for Germany. I hate suggesting that will happen and I do believe we are better than what we are currently playing like but I just fear our heads are just not strong enough to go out there and put it up to Germany. The German defence is suspect but we just don't have the front players that will cause them trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

my dad is German and I support them after Ireland, I put a few bets on them for the worldcup, including winning it. So this isnt a Germany are crap, dunpy rant. I think dunphy often makes valid points, just goes about OTT in how he delivers them... This team is not as good as the one that won the worldcup, that's for sure. Now they have a few new players in and I am sure they will improve and are damn strong despite players like Lahm retiring...

chances of us getting a draw I would put at 30-40%, a win 10%, germany win maybe 50%, 40% for beating, 10% chance of hammering. We arent looking for a miracle here, we got a draw over there...

I think thats pretty much spot on

After losing to Scotland? Nope, wrong again I would say. That was a setback but there was a long way to go after that. Scotland really had the bit between the teeth that night, there seemed to be a grudge element in their games v us, perhaps over McGeady and McCarthy among other things.

Nope sorry, this is complete nonsense. We had to rely on a 5th seed team to still be in this after losing to Scotland. Relying on lower seeds to do you a favor against better teams is not where you want to be with four games to go.

And what is this about Scotland beating us because they were pissed about McGeady and McCarthy? They beat us because we were absolutely brutal that night. We only started playing when we conceded. We were also terrible in the first game against Scotland, far to tentative. The team is capable of better but Mon is not getting the performances out of them.

if you look at Ireland, we always adopt the play it safe attitude, unless we have backs to the wall, win or nothing... look at the playoffs v France in 2010, muck here, then went over there, needing to win and we a handball away from a penalty shootout...

Do we have to beat Germany here in the upcoming match? no... We might have to beat Poland. If we have to win, I fancy us a lot more, despite the fact we are playing the same opposition with much the same players on our end...

We have become very consistent at dispatching the lower ranked teams, the 4th seeds and lower, sometimes 3rd seeds, depends on our seeding. But we cant keep on drawing at home against similar ranked sides and rely on our consistency v smaller teams make up for a hopeful slip up like georgia v scotland...
    They beat us because we were absolutely brutal that night. We only started playing when we conceded. We were also terrible in the first game against Scotland, far to tentative. The team is capable of better but Mon is not getting the performances out of them.
    When I see MON on post match interviews and in general, I dont know, he just doesnt instill any confidence or real belief, in me, so what must it be like to the players...

I wouldnt mind seeing McCarthy back if Keane and O'Neill go, maybe a Keane and McCarthy combo LOL!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

We were seen as lambs to the slaughter heading out to Gelsenkirchen, and somehow got a 1-1 draw, so I guess there is a chance of a result.

They struggled in both their games v Scotland, and were beaten by Poland

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Nope sorry, this is complete nonsense. We had to rely on a 5th seed team to still be in this after losing to Scotland. Relying on lower seeds to do you a favor against better teams is not where you want to be with four games to go.

Even if Scotland had beaten Georgia away we'd still be a point ahead of them now.

Even if Scotland beat Georgia away we'd still be a point ahead of them now.
    yeah but they have a certain 3 pointer v Gibraltar... so we are effectively 1 point ahead of them, because the results for us v germany and poland and them v poland are so uncertain...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

yeah but they have a certain 3 pointer v Gibraltar... so we are effectively 1 point ahead of them, because the results for us v germany and poland and them v poland are so uncertain...

My point was we werent wholly relying on a 5th seed to do us favour. We'd still be a point ahead of Scotland and have our destinty in our own hands had they won in Georgia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Sad state of affairs if this is a make or break reason for JG to choose England over Ireland.

http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/has-jack-grealishs-agent-dropped-a-big-hint-on-who-the-aston-villa-midfielder-will-declare-for-31514139.html

some pretty wild speculation there, if you are a Garreth Bale or Messi, Ronaldo I am sure you will, what are the chances of that happening to Grealish, slim to non existent?

And what is this about Scotland beating us because they were pissed about McGeady and McCarthy? They beat us because we were absolutely brutal that night. We only started playing when we conceded. We were also terrible in the first game against Scotland, far to tentative. The team is capable of better but Mon is not getting the performances out of them.

Nah, wrong again. We would still be in contention whether Georgia beat Scotland or not. The important point that you're neglecting is we went to Georgia and got the 3 points, whereas Scotland didn't even pick up one point over there. Every point counts, regardless of who you get them from.

As for the games v Scotland, you're appear confused about that.

Nah, wrong again. We would still be in contention whether Georgia beat Scotland or not. The important point that you're neglecting is we went to Georgia and got the 3 points, whereas Scotland didn't even pick up one point over there. Every point counts, regardless of who you get them from.

As for the games v Scotland, you're appear confused about that.

Nah, I'm not wrong. And we clearly watched two different games if you think we played well against Scotland. Your love of everything Martin O'Neill is admirable though.

Nah, I'm not wrong. And we clearly watched two different games if you think we played well against Scotland. Your love of everything Martin O'Neill is admirable though.

Where did I say we played well v Scotland?Actually we did play well in the 1 st half in Dublin.

I have said we haven't played well in general in the Group at all yet, but don't let that stop you pretending I said differently just to suit the arguments in your head.

We haven't played to our best consistently so far, but we're still in with a live chance of qualifying.

We haven't played to our best consistently so far, but we're still in with a live chance of qualifying.

Yes, thanks to Georgia.

• Advertisement

Yes, thanks to Georgia.

yes and a last minute winner against Georgia and equaliser against Germany. The way Scotland relied on a Georgia og to beat them at home, O'Shea og v us and they got another one against Germany the other night..

Yes, thanks to Georgia.

And thanks to our two wins v Georgia.

LowOdour wrote: »

Cringe...

Can some one please fill me in on the fascination with Jack Grealish, he is an average player for a bottom half EPL team. If he is taking so long to make his mind up then the FAI should tell him to fu*k off.

I guess what he wants is attention, so best ignoring him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭LowOdour

obezyana wrote: »
    Can some one please fill me in on the fascination with Jack Grealish, he is an average player for a bottom half EPL team. If he is taking so long to make his mind up then the FAI should tell him to fu*k off.

We are bemoaning the lack of creativity in the side, and will do more so if we don't even have the option of selecting some like Grealish, regardless of how good he might become.

I have no fascination with JG, but we need more young premier league standard players in the squad, he would be a good start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

We are bemoaning the lack of creativity in the side, and will do more so if we don't even have the option of selecting some like Grealish, regardless of how good he might become.

I have no fascination with JG, but we need more young premier league standard players in the squad, he would be a good start

I wonder if Messi would play for us? Oh that's right he's Argentine...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I wonder if Messi would play for us? Oh that's right he's Argentine...

The Brazilians, Germans, Italians and Spanish have absolutely no problem availing themselves of the granny rule so what you are implying is dead wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,980 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

obezyana wrote: »
    I guess what he wants is attention, so best ignoring him

He's not asking for the attention.

He quite simply stated a while back that he'd like to focus on his club game, and then make his international decision. I know he'd intended to decide this summer, but life isn't always that easy.

It's not that easy a decision to make, and he's 19. It's a decision for the rest of his professional career, and he obviously has strong ties to both countries. Born and raised in England, but represented Ireland at every underage level, along with 3 of his 4 grandparents being Irish. I can totally understand his wish to weigh his decision carefully.

At this age, imo, there's shouldn't be any pressure on him to make a decision, it's just unfortunate that the media (and fans alike) for some reason make this out to be a way bigger more dramatic thing than it is. Everyone always has some cynical nasty viewpoint on these things, rather than just looking at the human situation and having a bit of empathy.

When he's ready, and he's sure, he'll make his decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    He's not asking for the attention.

He quite simply stated a while back that he'd like to focus on his club game, and then make his international decision. I know he'd intended to decide this summer, but life isn't always that easy.

It's not that easy a decision to make, and he's 19. It's a decision for the rest of his professional career, and he obviously has strong ties to both countries. Born and raised in England, but represented Ireland at every underage level, along with 3 of his 4 grandparents being Irish. I can totally understand his wish to weigh his decision carefully.

At this age, imo, there's shouldn't be any pressure on him to make a decision, it's just unfortunate that the media (and fans alike) for some reason make this out to be a way bigger more dramatic thing than it is. Everyone always has some cynical nasty viewpoint on these things, rather than just looking at the human situation and having a bit of empathy.

When he's ready, and he's sure, he'll make his decision.

In fairness I had the exact same view point of view as you last year but the situation has needlessly been dragged on too long by now. The decisions should have been made already. He's been weighing up the decision for quite a while now anyway so it's not he's just started to think about it. I don't think he intended to gain attention from it but as young as he is he's not naive, he knew what dragging it out would do.

All the whispers Birmingham side indicates he's probably going to choose England anyway. Everyone can move on then either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

It's blatantly clear what grealish wants. He obviously wants to play for England. He has played for Ireland all the way up so if he really wanted to play for us he would be doing so. If your 19 and being offered a place in the national squad of your choice with a chance to play at the euros next year it's a dream come true.

However , grealish obviously doesn't see it as a huge honour and ' dream come true ". What other young Irish player would turn down a full international call up at 19?

The lad wants to play for England and seems like the kind of lad that wants all the trappings and attention that comes with it. Yes we need creative players like him, and he has bags of potential. If he decides to pull on the green jersey I will support him like any player but I think he will only do so if the English don't really want him unfortunately. Leaves a bit of a sour taste.

Oh , and his father is a bellend

I wouldnt mind seeing McCarthy back if Keane and O'Neill go, maybe a Keane and McCarthy combo LOL!

Mc Carthy has made a career out of extracting the best from limited resources. He should have got the job the last two times it became available. Doubt he is the type that fits with CEO's vision of things. As for Keane as his number 2 ... :D

Mc Carthy has made a career out of extracting the best from limited resources. He should have got the job the last two times it became available. Doubt he is the type that fits with CEO's vision of things. As for Keane as his number 2 ... :D

I would love to see McCarthy back as Ireland manager I wonder would he give it a go again?

I'm not even sure at this stage who would be a good fit we need some one who is going to be positive, who wont be bigging up our rivals at every given moment, who wont be so negative when it comes to believing in our current crop of players.

At the time of his announcement I really thought O Neill was the right fit but all he seems to be is a shadow of his former self. He seems to be caught up in the negative mentality of us having inferior players so we must play with extreme caution bla bla bla. I do think he is trying but maybe he has lost his mojo for motivating average players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,543 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Mick McCarthy is absolutely the man for the next job if we can get him. Lets allow Martin O'Neill a chance to qualify first though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,881 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Is Callum Wilson eligible to play for Ireland?

• Advertisement

Is Callum Wilson eligible to play for Ireland?

[ninja edit] according to the below link he is not

https://mobile.twitter.com/noriordan/status/635426848713908225

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Some good news (not the Grealish part). I'll be delighted if Crowley commits to us....

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/jack-grealish-may-still-go-green-despite-reports-1.2347941

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,477 ✭✭✭✭cson

Crowley will likely play for England, next Wilshere by a lot of accounts - very highly regarded at Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

cson wrote: »
    Crowley will likely play for England, next Wilshere by a lot of accounts - very highly regarded at Arsenal.

Id doubt he'd wait this long to commit to our U21's and then switch back to England.

Ive heard a few whispers that he was always going to play for Ireland. That was as per his brother apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

cson wrote: »

Saw him recently for the first time playing for Barnsley against Everton in the League Cup - very impressed!

Him and Grealish together would offer real hope...if we can get a couple of young defenders in particular too

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement