Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,212 ✭✭✭✭briany

If Ireland can't beat Georgia tomorrow night then all permutations and speculations are moot. Ireland wouldn't deserve to qualify or even get to the playoff, and we should (silently) rejoice in their impending elimination because it means their football won't be inflicted upon the eyes of Europe for a second Euros in a row, we can look to rebuild, and we won't suffer the bursting of the morale bubble that happened in 2012, which, long term, did a good deal of harm. Roddy Collins could be right in the prediction he made, there, about it setting Irish football back.

If Ireland do beat Georgia then it's onward and upward, but I suspect that it's more about what Scotland don't do than what Ireland can at this stage. At this stage, both teams look kind of ropey and it's uncertain whether either can get anything from their games v. Germany and Poland. At this stage, I'm counting on Scotland to get beaten twice in order to really see them off. Then a victory v. Georgia would be the difference maker.
    dogcat wrote: »
    At the current results, Ireland are in the top half for the play-offs anyway, so we would face one of Turkey, Albania, Estonia or Israel. Overall I think we could take Estonia or Israel quite easily. That's if the results stay the way they are at the moment though.

I never want to watch Ireland play Israel ever again. :pac: Some say their old goalie is rolling on the ground to this very day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,878 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

0-0 draw for us tomorrow I can feel. Scotland will draw with Germany and Poland will beat Gibraltar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

We have a 100% record against georgia. 6 games 6 wins.
    4 times the score has been 2-1 to us.

Theres a wee confidence boost for ye lads! Prepare for a nervous 90mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

I'm going with 2-0 to us tonight - one nice goal...robbie brady free kick perhaps, and one scruffy 6 yard boxer...both in the 2nd half.

I feel Scotland will come down to earth further with a convincing 4 nothing or worse defeat after a ruthlessly efficient German performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Adrift

Just to be smug for a minute, I was correct in predicting Scotland would be beaten on Friday.

Now for some more predictions. Germany will beat Scotland tonight, they showed they have woken up against Poland and will want to cement their position tonight. As I said in a previous post, Scotland have been riding their luck for a while now.

I think Ireland will win as well. This is the sort of game where Ireland have managed to grind out results. Georgia are a tricky team, much like Armenia etc in previous groups. Everyone had written Armenia off, Everyone was crying when we beat them 1-0 in Yerevan bemoaning a poor performance but we were the only team to leave there with 3 points. Georgia are similar, they have attacking options and their midfield can certainly stroke the ball around but I'd expect Ireland to be disciplined and dogged and grind out a 2-1 win.

That 2-1 win in Tiblisi, much like the victory in Yerevan could prove to be vital.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Looks like Roy Hodgson wants Jack Grealish to play for England. Born in England and English manager wants him. Would be crazy to decide to play for Ireland because of his granny. Wish him luck anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

irishmover wrote: »
    Looks like Roy Hodgson wants Jack Grealish to play for England. Born in England and English manager wants him. Would be crazy to decide to play for Ireland because of his granny. Wish him luck anyway.

I hope he does it so as to stop all this speculation. I definitely don't want him for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

It's a opinion, at end of ****ing day, unless you've been living under cave for last 12 years, you realise we have ****ed up few groups when in decent positions.

We're not exactly a team who can get 6 from 6 in 2 big games for example.

So if you dont like it thats your tough ****. Ignore button for win.

You're fretting that we can't/ might not beat Georgia at home. If we can't beat Georgia at home, we've no business being at the Euro's next year.

Ireland will win v Georgia.

I hope he does it so as to stop all this speculation. I definitely don't want him for Ireland.

Errr why not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Huge game tonight lads. Be interesting to see team selection.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

I'd imagine if he chooses to play for Ireland it would be because he feels Irish and has already represented Ireland. Not because his granny is Irish. Alternatively if he chooses to play for England because he feels English. Best of luck to him and whatever he chooses I wish him all the best in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Errr why not?

If anyone has to think for more than a second about weather to play for Ireland then they are not fully committed to the cause. He would be the most "English" Irish player ever, an absolute embarrassment after all the media coverage.

If anyone has to think for more than a second about weather to play for Ireland then they are not fully committed to the cause. He would be the most "English" Irish player ever, an absolute embarrassment after all the media coverage.

He was our u21 player of the year last year. Clearly enjoyed playing underage for Ireland and probably never expected England to come calling at Senior level. When the country you were born in comes calling it makes it a hard decision for anyone.

Who are you to say to hell with him for thinking more than a second about the situation. Ridiculous. Do you think that all of those 'English' players who've played for us in the 90, 94 and 02 world cup wouldnt have thought twice about playing for Ireland if they were in the same situation as Grealish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Would the English not be equally embarrassed that a potential English Player mulled over whether or not to play for them or Ireland. Ridiculous attitude. He is only 19. I'll be disappointed if he chooses England as we could do with him but I would prefer if he goes with his gut and chooses whichever team it would mean more to him to represent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

He would be the most "English" Irish player ever

Clinton Morrisson says hello.

Deedsie wrote: »
    I'd imagine if he chooses to play for Ireland it would be because he feels Irish and has already represented Ireland. Not because his granny is Irish. Alternatively if he chooses to play for England because he feels English. Best of luck to him and whatever he chooses I wish him all the best in the future.

Fair point.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Huge game tonight. Will be a nervy one and I can't say I'm confident of the win, took a moment of absolute magic to nick the 3 points over there. Hope I'm proved wrong though.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Looks like Roy Hodgson wants Jack Grealish to play for England. Born in England and English manager wants him.

The English manager is hardly going to say he doesn't want him is he? Doesn't mean he'll pick him.
    Would be crazy to decide to play for Ireland because of his granny. Wish him luck anyway.

Why would it be crazy, he's already represented Ireland at under age level.

It's a boring saga at this stage, he should make a decision one way or the other. It's not going to make or break the future prospects of the Irish team or the English team for that matter.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    The English manager is hardly going to say he doesn't want him is he? Doesn't mean he'll pick him.

Why would it be crazy, he's already represented Ireland at under age level.

It's a boring saga at this stage, he should make a decision one way or the other. It's not going to make or break the future prospects of the Irish team or the English team for that matter.

I'd like to think Hodgson wouldn't try convince him to switch to England unless he intends to include him in squads. Would be highly unfair to the young lads international career.

Other point was already cleared up above by someone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Hopefully Keane will be used as a sub tonight. Coleman will come back into the side. Not sure about Wes either. I think Quinn adds something to the side when he starts and has arguably been our best central midfield when hes played in the last year. Still not happy about Given playing either but Id imagine he'll start again.

This would be my team for tonight...

Given

Coleman--JOS--Clark--Brady
    Walters-McCarthy-Whelan-Quinn-McClean
    Long

• Advertisement

I'd like to think Hodgson wouldn't try convince him to switch to England unless he intends to include him in squads. Would be highly unfair to the young lads international career.

He has no right to be in either squad. He should only get in if he's good enough.

Roy Hodgson doesn't have to convince him, but he wants players to be available to him, so he's hardly going to say i don't want Jack Grealish to be available for me to pick for England. Grealish might go on to be a half decent player, or he could go on to be the next David Bentley. Hodgson will be under no obligation to pick him whatsoever.

This player Grealish is being very badly advised. He's making a big song and dance about himself, it'll end up no-one will want him.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Adrift

I reckon it will be similar to the other night with Coleman returning for Christie and maybe a change on the wings. McGeady may start.

I think he will go with Keane up front to start with anyway.

Adrift wrote: »
    I reckon it will be similar to the other night with Coleman returning for Christie and maybe a change on the wings. McGeady may start.

I think he will go with Keane up front to start with anyway.

Don't think McGeady's fit, not match fit anyway.

I'd go with the same team as the last night, but with Long up front instead of Keane and Coleman coming in as well.

Trond wrote: »
    Hopefully Keane will be used as a sub tonight. Coleman will come back into the side. Not sure about Wes either. I think Quinn adds something to the side when he starts and has arguably been our best central midfield when hes played in the last year. Still not happy about Given playing either but Id imagine he'll start again.

This would be my team for tonight...

Given

Coleman--JOS--Clark--Brady
    Walters-McCarthy-Whelan-Quinn-McClean
    Long

The midfield is severely lacking in creativity. Lot of fight and running, but will probably end up with us hoofing it to Long. Though we'd probably do that with Xavi and Iniesta in the middle anyway :rolleyes:

Think we need one of Wes or McGeady to provide a bit of spark going forward. Never been a fan of Walters on the right, but will probably happen.

The midfield is severely lacking in creativity. Lot of fight and running, but will probably end up with us hoofing it to Long. Though we'd probably do that with Xavi and Iniesta in the middle anyway :rolleyes:

Think we need one of Wes or McGeady to provide a bit of spark going forward. Never been a fan of Walters on the right, but will probably happen.

Agree totally but we have a habit of naming teams like that. Personally Id play Christy left back and put Brady in his natural position.

McCarthy should be v near to being dropped at this stage. Reputation aside he's been very mediocre for us recently. A kick in the hole might be what's needed.

If we start Long we should really be playing Wes behind him. We need someone with technique who can play the passes to exploit Longs pace. Otherwise its pointless.

Maybe tonights the night it all comes together and we win 3-0 :D

Yeah I agree regarding Brady, think he's wasted at left back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,212 ✭✭✭✭briany

Trond wrote: »
    Agree totally but we have a habit of naming teams like that. Personally Id play Christy left back and put Brady in his natural position.

McCarthy should be v near to being dropped at this stage. Reputation aside he's been very mediocre for us recently. A kick in the hole might be what's needed

McCarthy plays for Ireland like his heart isn't totally in it, and that's OK, but he needs to step aside and let someone else take his spot. A proverbial kick in the hole won't do too much to really spark his inner motivation.

briany wrote: »
    McCarthy plays for Ireland like his heart isn't totally in it, and that's OK, but he needs to step aside and let someone else take his spot. A proverbial kick in the hole won't do too much to really spark his inner motivation.

I suppose we don't really know until that happens.

Strictly speaking Quinn has done more in a green jersey recently. Plus McCarthy and Whelan is such a negative partnership that sits so deep it only compounds our attacking weaknesses.

They are also half the reason Keane shouldn't start. There's simply too much ground for him to cover and his legs aren't up to it anymore. We cant afford to play with 10 men in that respect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭jones

I think Brady is great at left back probably the one major thing O'Neill has done for the team. He's tightened up his defensive abilities and we still have his dead ball expertise. He starts left back all day for me.

Long has to start tonight with Keane to come off the bench. The midfield is a funny one, for all the abuse Whelan gets he's there to do a job and has been trusted by multiple managers to do that job. McCarthy has yet to do anything in a green jersey but in saying that i'd still play him tonight

• Advertisement

jones wrote: »
    I think Brady is great at left back probably the one major thing O'Neill has done for the team. He's tightened up his defensive abilities and we still have his dead ball expertise. He starts left back all day for me.

Long has to start tonight with Keane to come off the bench. The midfield is a funny one, for all the abuse Whelan gets he's there to do a job and has been trusted by multiple managers to do that job. McCarthy has yet to do anything in a green jersey but in saying that i'd still play him tonight

They've a lot of pace out wide so I don't see Brady being able to get up the pitch that often. Hes not a natural left back and never will be imo.

He's probably the best option right now as we have no one else but as I said earlier Christie has played there for Derby so long term that might be worth a try.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement