Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

oh god, please no, then we'll be subjected to pages and pages of "Let Christy take it" posts from the boards.ie comedians who all think they are so bleedin original.

match thread the other night was a pain to read with all these hilarious lads psoting. Fair play to them.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I'd prefer to see Brady further up the pitch, he has a great delivery and is a tidy footballer, difficult to get him involved in attacks from left back.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Id break up the CM partnership as well,Whelan and McCarthy just don't offer enough to the team,they are too safe or maybe MON is too safe,

McCarthy got forward a bit in the second half on Friday but don't see enough of that from our CM players,MON needs to either change it up or let McCarthy off the leash a bit and let Whelan play the holding midfield role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭jones

I think people are getting a bit carried away with Christie's performance on friday. He's alright but he wasnt exactly tested against the part timers. This is the same player who can't get into the Derby team. People thinking he's the future are slightly getting ahead of themselves i think.

Our real issue is midfield, Whelan and McCarthy are too negative in the same team in my mind. I've seen a few posts about giving McCarthy/Quinn midfield a go and its something i'd definitely like to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

jones wrote: »
    I think Brady is great at left back probably the one major thing O'Neill has done for the team. He's tightened up his defensive abilities and we still have his dead ball expertise. He starts left back all day for me.

Long has to start tonight with Keane to come off the bench. The midfield is a funny one, for all the abuse Whelan gets he's there to do a job and has been trusted by multiple managers to do that job. McCarthy has yet to do anything in a green jersey but in saying that i'd still play him tonight

The full backs are the best part of our team, Brady and Coleman. I think MON has been trying to shape the team to get the most out of those two. If they bomb forward that someone always covers for them.

McCarthy comes across as a reserved character. I think he's been solid for Ireland without being spectacular. I definitely wouldn't drop him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I must be the only person who thought Christie was a disaster waiting to happen the other day. He lost the ball plenty of times trying to beat his man and was caught out of position because of it. That would cause us huge problems against a better team. He can't get into the Derby team, I don't think he should be anywhere near the Ireland team and especially not playing out of position at left back!

Kingp35 wrote: »
    I must be the only person who thought Christie was a disaster waiting to happen the other day. He lost the ball plenty of times trying to beat his man and was caught out of position because of it. That would cause us huge problems against a better team. He can't get into the Derby team, I don't think he should be anywhere near the Ireland team and especially not playing out of position at left back!

Just before our second goal he got a right stroke of luck after he lost the ball and then the Gibraltar lads made a right balls of a 3v2 situation,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭jones

He looked headless with the ball at his feet. A powerful runner who doesn't really know where he's going is how i'd describe him.

It was an ok debut and he did get a goal but i wouldn't be trusting him against decent opposition just yet. If Coleman and Brady arent injured he shouldn't be near the the starting 11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

At the end of the day, Brady has done alright for us at left back. I'd rather be finding a way to get McGeady on the pitch anyway, rather than moving Brady further forward. And particularly for tonight, the more forward thinking players we have out there the better it will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

going to be a tough match hopefully we get the result we need,

still would like o neil to try a 352 think it could work well with the players we have

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭briany

jones wrote: »
    He looked headless with the ball at his feet. A powerful runner who doesn't really know where he's going is how i'd describe him.

It was an ok debut and he did get a goal but i wouldn't be trusting him against decent opposition just yet. If Coleman and Brady arent injured he shouldn't be near the the starting 11

I remember when Paul Green started his international career, near throwing himself at goal in a match v. Algeria. It was easy to think he'd have something about him. That turned out to not really be the case, so yeah, probably best, injuries not withstanding, not to give a game of this magnitude to Christie just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭TheBunk1

Anyone feel a 3-5-2 would benefit us in certain games?

Given
    O'Shea-Clark-Wilson
    Coleman-McCarthy-Quinn/Whelan-Brady
    Hoolahan
    Keane-Long

Dunno if the players would be comfortable with this formation, especially in a pressurised, must-win situation like tonight. The main advantage is getting Hoolahan in behind two strikers, but probably leaves the WB's somewhat isolated.

Going forward I could see the appeal in going 3-5-2, don't think now is the time to be trying it out though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Going forward I could see the appeal in going 3-5-2, don't think now is the time to be trying it out though.

We just need to sneak a win tonight. No need to get adventurous.

Winning tonight means we have a chance to progress. Even a win might not be enough for us to get a playoff spot with Scotlands remaining games (after tonight) being certain wins and ours being probable losses

Mr.H wrote: »
    with Scotlands remaining games (after tonight) being certain wins and ours being probable losses

Scotland's next game after tonight is home to Poland, far from an easy fixture.

Last game is against Gibraltar, which is a free 3 points obviously

Scotland's next game after tonight is home to Poland, far from an easy fixture.

Last game is against Gibraltar, which is a free 3 points obviously

While facing Poland is far from easy, I would prefer to look at it as Scotland at home to a team we should have beaten in Dublin. We should be preparing for Scotland winning that game by getting points on the table. If they dont beat Poland great but we will likely be getting our last points tonight leaving us on 15 points with Scotland needing 4 points from their final 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,828 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Anyone any cheap \ free tickets for tonight? :pac:

Is the crowd looking to make a fashionably late entrance? There seems to be feck all there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭joe123

Shocking attendance that.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭RickyOFlaherty

joe123 wrote: »
    Shocking attendance that.

monday night is a shocking time to play the match.. kids have school next day .. people travelling back down the country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭dogcat

monday night is a shocking time to play the match.. kids have school next day .. people travelling back down the country
    Sure it's not our fault we were drawn this date sadly.

Wasn't pretty tonight but got the job done because of some great work by Hendricks who showed a bit of belief in himself and took the defenders on.

We need more players to show more belief in themselves.

There are posters here who don't respect/rate O'Neill.

He will deliver.

March with O'Neill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,828 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Any lunatics think we'll get 3 or 4 points from the next two games?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Not a chance if O'Neill goes with Keane up front again. Hummels and Boetang will walk the ball out of defense and same as the Polish lads in Warsaw. He surely has to realise Long is a better option now, Keane can come on for the last 10 if the game is close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

It's not beyond the bounds of possibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Trilla wrote: »
    Any lunatics think we'll get 3 or 4 points from the next two games?
    Realistically a point would be a reasonable expectation and this would mean that if Scotland and Poland draw we'd end up in third.

Fact is Keane is our best striker. Problem is lack of pace helping him out. Id go with Keane up top with Long playing off him. Have Mceady and Walters on the flanks then with McCarthy and Wilson in the center should give some sort of protection to the back 4

for what its worth I would take 2 points from the games and hope its enough

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭RickyOFlaherty

FAI ..Please stop playing Seven nation army after each goal ... it is so cringeworthy.. I'm guessing there is some agreement with UEFA that means it has to be played. My preference in order would be

1. Nothing
    2. Nothing
    3. Siesta - Pogues
    4. One of our greatest hits of Irish football team songs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Mr.H wrote: »
    Fact is Keane is our best striker. Problem is lack of pace helping him out. Id go with Keane up top with Long playing off him. Have Mceady and Walters on the flanks then with McCarthy and Wilson in the center should give some sort of protection to the back 4

for what its worth I would take 2 points from the games and hope its enough

Playing Keane against any opposition other than v weakest teams is utterly pointless.

Its like playing with 10 men. Its nothing to do with the lack of pace around him. Long came on and ran the channels, moved their centre halves around the place. The first half was as bad as Ive seen, it changed immediately when Keane went off. Its not a coincidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭bren2001

FAI ..Please stop playing Seven nation army after each goal ... it is so cringeworthy.. I'm guessing there is some agreement with UEFA that means it has to be played. My preference in order would be

1. Nothing
    2. Nothing
    3. Siesta - Pogues
    4. One of our greatest hits of Irish football team songs

It's a Euro's thing. Played after each goal in every match. Hate the song, brings back memories of 2012.

I suppose the main reason behind Robbie playing is that he is our best finisher,if he had got the chance that Long got he would have more then likely have put it away,but the problem is he hasn't got the legs to lead the line anymore on his own

I cant see in our next two games with MON going with two strikers so Long has to start for his pace alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

We won't even beat Georgia next month.

How did that go?

I think it's time to stop with the pretence that Robbie Keane is not finished as a striker for Ireland. He has been our best ever striker but it's over, he has nothing left to contribute. We can't afford to play against teams like Germany and Poland with 10 men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

How did that go?

We won!! Walters scored after 69 minutes. Good play by Hendrick. Poor first half but very good 2nd half. Once we scored we were Professional.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

TheCitizen wrote: »
    I think it's time to stop with the pretence that Robbie Keane is not finished as a striker for Ireland. He has been our best ever striker but it's over, he has nothing left to contribute. We can't afford to play against teams like Germany and Poland with 10 men.

Agreed. It's become very difficult to justify a starting spot for him. Super sub perhaps but starting him has yielded little or nothing for quite some time now.

Ive been banging that drum for ages now. Its been apparent for nearly 2 years at this stage. His work rate off the ball in genuinely laughable at this level.

Some people tend to get a bit touchy about it but its not fair on the rest of the players at this point.

O Neill needs to man up and drop him and Given.

On a positive note when we went ahead it was the first time in recent years we actually looked comfortable. Happy to see that.

Trond wrote: »
    Ive been banging that drum for ages now. Its been apparent for nearly 2 years at this stage. His work rate off the ball in genuinely laughable at this level.

Some people tend to get a bit touchy about it but its not fair on the rest of the players at this point.

On a positive note when we went ahead it was the first time in recent years we actually looked comfortable. Happy to see that.

I'm a supporter of O'Neill which hasn't always been a popular position to be in around here, but I was disappointed that he didn't make the right call last night by starting Long ahead of Keane. He rectified it at half time. We won't be seeing Robbie start for Ireland in a competitive game again.

I'm a supporter of O'Neill which hasn't always been a popular position to be in around here, but I was disappointed that he didn't make the right call last night by starting Long ahead of Keane. He rectified it at half time. We won't be seeing Robbie start for Ireland in a competitive game again.

I hope so. It isn't healthy for the squad long term.

He still has a lot to offer as a sub or in matches against the minnows.

Thought Coleman showed glimpses in the 2nd half of the player we've seen for Everton over the years. We are crying out for a change to 352 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Trond wrote: »

I remember I saw Keano v Sweden in 2013, like you said his work rate off the ball in ridiculous. People here are really touchy about Robbie Keane, I know he's a great finisher but there is a difference between the Mls and International football

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

All boils down to Scotland vs Poland. Scots win and I cannot see us getting over the line. The one thing in our favour is that the Poles have to win as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Hi All

Do you guys know when the IRE V GER tickets are released?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭bren2001

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    Hi All

Do you guys know when the IRE V GER tickets are released?

Monday on Ticketmaster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭eire4

Realistically a point would be a reasonable expectation and this would mean that if Scotland and Poland draw we'd end up in third.

This I think is the most realistic path to us getting the playoff spot as I simply don't see us beating either Germany or Poland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭eire4

I suppose the main reason behind Robbie playing is that he is our best finisher,if he had got the chance that Long got he would have more then likely have put it away,but the problem is he hasn't got the legs to lead the line anymore on his own

I cant see in our next two games with MON going with two strikers so Long has to start for his pace alone.

I would agree with that Long I would think has to start up front in the next 2 games. No way Keane can play up front on his own against Germany and Poland.

eire4 wrote: »
    This I think is the most realistic path to us getting the playoff spot as I simply don't see us beating either Germany or Poland.

Realistically, Ireland's best chance of remaining in contention for qualification is Poland beating Scotland. That would put the Scots out. A draw, or a Scottish win, ironically gives Ireland a better shot at automatic qualification, but also means that Ireland will be also very much on the brink of going out, and I don't fancy Ireland to really get a positive result against a Polish side hungry for points.

This is all assuming that Ireland don't get a result against Germany and that Scotland do beat Gibraltar. If Ireland can get a point v. Germany and Scotland lose, I think the Scots are out as well. If Ireland can beat Germany (heh...) then it opens up a whole other can of worms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

There are posters here who don't respect/rate O'Neill.

He will deliver.

March with O'Neill.

He can thank his lucky stars Georgia beat Scotland. If Trap was in that position prior to the Georgia/Scotland game people would have been calling for his head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,926 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I can imagine what sort of crowd we could get if we're playing Denmark in the aviva in nov in a friendly game. Maybe 2000

He can thank his lucky stars Georgia beat Scotland. If Trap was in that position prior to the Georgia/Scotland game people would have been calling for his head.

Some posters have a warped memory of Trap's era. Trap was generally supported during the first 4 years of his time. It was after the Euro' s in 2012 when results went pear shaped and the qualifying campaign was over a year before it was concluded that people called for Trap's head in large numbers. Ireland have struggled at times under MON but have remained in contention for qualification throughout. Big difference there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Some posters have a warped memory of Trap's era. Trap was generally supported during the first 4 years of his time. It was after the Euro' s in 2012 when results went pear shaped and the qualifying campaign was over a year before it was concluded that people called for Trap's head in large numbers. Ireland have struggled at times under MON but have remained in contention for qualification throughout. Big difference there.

During Traps era, 1 team qualified and 1 went to a playoff. Now we have two qualifying and 1 going to playoff. If this qualifying campaign was happening during Traps era, we would be in big trouble right now.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement