Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Nice to see Forrester included. He'll most definitely be cut by the final squad but at least he's being looked at.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

He's been out injured most the season!

Hasn't played since the Germany game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,476 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Mcgeady scored today. Peterborough putting their awful run behind them, coincides with Forrester returning to the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,476 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Mushy wrote: »
    Mcgeady scored today. Peterborough putting their awful run behind them, coincides with Forrester returning to the team.

Peterborough ended up losing to two late goals, but Forrester was taken off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Good to see a few new faces in the squad but can't see Forrester, Doherty or Hayes making the squad when it gets cut. I would think the two games at the end of the month will be most important for Arter and Judge, they have a real chance of making it into the squad for the Euros and possibly even a starting XI if they were to make a good enough impression, I can't see Hoolahan starting all 3 group games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,204 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

We should be blooding new lads.
    Also can't see the point of having Doyle and Keane in the squad for friendlies. Both past it now imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Good to see these comments from Mark Noble

http://www.the42.ie/mark-noble-ireland-2657259-Mar2016/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Good to see these comments from Mark Noble

http://www.the42.ie/mark-noble-ireland-2657259-Mar2016/

It's quiet depressing that the FAI and our various managers over the years haven't had as much respect for our national team as Noble appears to have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,497 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Has an away jersey for the euros been announced?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Players with little or no connection to the country have been playing international football for decades, for dozens of different countries.

We're not the first, we won't be the last to do it. Especially considering our smaller population base and less developed national league, we should look to expand our pool of potential players as much as possible. Nothing wrong with it whatsoever.

Yeah, it's nice to have lads in the side that are Irish born and bred but if there's somebody out there who's eligible, can improve the side and is actually interested in doing his best for us, I don't see why we shouldn't approach them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Players with little or no connection to the country have been playing international football for decades, for dozens of different countries.

We're not the first, we won't be the last to do it. Especially considering our smaller population base and less developed national league, we should look to expand our pool of potential players as much as possible. Nothing wrong with it whatsoever.

Yeah, it's nice to have lads in the side that are Irish born and bred but if there's somebody out there who's eligible, can improve the side and is actually interested in doing his best for us, I don't see why we shouldn't approach them.

Of course we were right to approach Noble, we should be looking at any player who can improve the squad regardless of how thin their link to Ireland may be

But, as in Noble's case, I wouldn't want a player on the panel/squad who wasn't fully committed - they don't have to have been born in Ireland with a shamrock in each hand but we do require full commitment. I actually appreciate Noble's honesty and I respect his decision.

But, as in Noble's case, I wouldn't want a player on the panel/squad who wasn't fully committed - they don't have to have been born in Ireland with a shamrock in each hand but we do require full commitment. I actually appreciate Noble's honesty and I respect his decision.
    I'm really impressed by what he had to say, it's nice that he put so much thought into it and made such a mature decision. He comes out of it looking very good and it's nice to know that there are players out there who really do care.

However, I don't have a problem getting some mercenary in, even if he's just doing it to get his name in the spotlight or whatever. If he actually delivers on the pitch, I have no complaints.

The ones who sign up and are not arsed one way or the other can feck off. That said, I can't remember the last time there was one who played for Ireland but was clearly not interested.

I think with second or third gen players, they come in all shades of commitment and interest and it'd be very silly of us to dismiss them all because of a few bad apples.

sugarman wrote: »
    By bringing in who?

A large amount of players who only wanted to play for Ireland because they weren't good enough for their real country.

If Ireland put as much effort into developing our own players than chasing anyone with a hint of an Irish grandparent we'd be far better off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

I'm really impressed by what he had to say, it's nice that he put so much thought into it and made such a mature decision. He comes out of it looking very good and it's nice to know that there are players out there who really do care.

However, I don't have a problem getting some mercenary in, even if he's just doing it to get his name in the spotlight or whatever. If he actually delivers on the pitch, I have no complaints.

The ones who sign up and are not arsed one way or the other can feck off. That said, I can't remember the last time there was one who played for Ireland but was clearly not interested.

I think with second or third gen players, they come in all shades of commitment and interest and it'd be very silly of us to dismiss them all because of a few bad apples.

This discussion has reminded me of this classic (I don't know how to do the fancy article link-thing):

A few years later, in 1973, London-born Terry Mancini learned from club-mate Don Givens his Irish mother entitled him to play for the Republic. He spoke recently of the pride he felt upon getting the opportunity to do so although, famously, he had never heard Amhrán na bhFiann prior to lining out for his debut against Poland at Dalymount park in October 1973.

As he subsequently recalled: “The music started playing and it went on and on and I turned to Don Givens and said “for f**k sake, their national anthem don’t half go on,” and he said ‘That’s ours, Terry’. I didn’t have a clue.”

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/granny-rule-still-kicking-up-a-green-storm-1.583490

sugarman wrote: »
    Who are the "large amount of players"?

Quite a decent amount of players who decided to play for Ireland over the years.Obviously these players will never outwardly admit Ireland was a second choice but we all know that a large amount of players who have played for Ireland down the years played for us as we were a second choice.

Players should now be forced by FIFA to declare for a country when they are 18 and not be allowed to change their minds.

Also my point was as much in relation to chasing players to play for Ireland , Kevin Nolan for example as it was in relation to actually picking players.

• Advertisement

Players should now be forced by FIFA to declare for a country when they are 18 and not be allowed to change their minds.
    Cause every 18 year old knows exactly what they want in life and are fully comfortable with who they are.

Utter nonsense.

Cause every 18 year old knows exactly what they want in life and are fully comfortable with who they are.

Utter nonsense.

An 18 year old pro soccer player certainly should and most do.If he's old enough to decide he wants to play soccer professionally then he's surely old enough to decide what country he wants to play for.

I think you underestimate the maturity of people of that age who are making life changing decisions all the time.

An 18 year old pro soccer player certainly should and most do.If he's old enough to decide he wants to play soccer professionally then he's surely old enough to decide what country he wants to play for.
    I think you're very naive about teenage footballers and the whole situation. Not all players are players because they decide they want to be. Agents and family pressure are big factors. And when it's all you know, turning pro seems like a great option.
    I think you underestimate the maturity of people of that age who are making life changing decisions all the time.
    And I think you're ignoring the influence of agents and parents, especially on players of that age.

The Grealish situation showed both sides, the immaturity and the influence of parents on a young lad.

I think you're very naive about teenage footballers and the whole situation. Not all players are players because they decide they want to be. Agents and family pressure are big factors. And when it's all you know, turning pro seems like a great option.

And I think you're ignoring the influence of agents and parents, especially on players of that age.

The Grealish situation showed both sides, the immaturity and the influence of parents on a young lad.

Players still should be able to decide for themselves at a young age, it's a short career so every decision you make as a professional sportsman is done without much life experience, there may be outside influences affecting a decision but they have to think for themselves and asking a player to choose his country at 18 is not that big an imposition and it would ensure the sanctity of the international game.

If you don't have very strict regulations on international sport it loses relevance and what makes representing your country special.

If you don't have very strict regulations on international sport it loses relevance and what makes representing your country special.
    Which brings me back to my original point: Practically every team nowadays has players who were born in other countries or who have strenuous connections. This has been going on forever, it's nothing new.

International football isn't about representing your country anymore, it's about winning. As a small nation, if we limit our talent to only patriotic players, we're going to fall behind.

This needs to trickle down into the minds of the fans. It's different for us but it's foolish to think or demand that it be the same for the players.

• Advertisement

Which brings me back to my original point: Practically every team nowadays has players who were born in other countries or who have strenuous connections. This has been going on forever, it's nothing new.

International football isn't about representing your country anymore, it's about winning. As a small nation, if we limit our talent to only patriotic players, we're going to fall behind.

This needs to trickle down into the minds of the fans. It's different for us but it's foolish to think or demand that it be the same for the players.

If that is the case then it is just and inferior version of the club game and might as well not exist.What is the point supporting Ireland when we are admitting it isn't really Ireland that is out on the field.

The composition of the Rugby team is a complete joke at the moment.

If that is the case then it is just and inferior version of the club game and might as well not exist.What is the point supporting Ireland when we are admitting it isn't really Ireland that is out on the field.
    It's still our country representing us in the sport we love.

These RTE updates of how Irish players did over the weekend are always good

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2016/0314/774680-irish-abroad-mcgeady-strikes-best-comeback-and-m/

We should be blooding new lads.
    Also can't see the point of having Doyle and Keane in the squad for friendlies. Both past it now imo.

They are probably both still there on merit though.

Don't think Doyle will make the Euros squad, but we are only 1 or 2 injuries from needing him.

Keane is the captain of the team, and wants to be there for the friendlies.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Looking at clips of Jonny Hayes

Have never seen him play but looking at the clips he looks an exciting addition to the squad

http://www.the42.ie/jonny-hayes-ireland-all-you-need-to-know-2659388-
    Mar2016/

Have ye seen him play lads?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

RT&#201 wrote: »
    After starting the last two games for Aston Villa, conceding seven goals, Clark has struggled to cement a starting place in one of the worst sides to play in the Premier League.

I'm glad they tried to mince their words anyway! :pac: :D :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭eire4

Looking at clips of Jonny Hayes

Have never seen him play but looking at the clips he looks an exciting addition to the squad

http://www.the42.ie/jonny-hayes-ireland-all-you-need-to-know-2659388-
    Mar2016/

Have ye seen him play lads?

He has been one od Aberdeen's best players this season no question about it. Certainly worth giving him a look.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

eire4 wrote: »
    He has been one od Aberdeen's best players this season no question about it. Certainly worth giving him a look.

So, he's one of the best players in the SPL this season?

Have we not been through this before? :D :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭eire4

Wilberto wrote: »
    So, he's one of the best players in the SPL this season?

Have we not been through this before? :D :pac:

Yes he has had a career best type of season for Aberdeen so fine by me to give him a call up and a look. Obviously its not like he is some young up and coming 20 year old he has played well this season so its worth giving him a look in the squad and see how he does.

eire4 wrote: »
    Yes he has had a career best type of season for Aberdeen so fine by me to give him a call up and a look. Obviously its not like he is some young up and coming 20 year old he has played well this season so its worth giving him a look in the squad and see how he does.

It's more the standard of the league he's playing in is what I'm getting at. Personally, I'd look at League one before I'd look at the SPL, and that includes "the mighty" (lol) Celtic.

• Advertisement

Wilberto wrote: »
    It's more the standard of the league he's playing in is what I'm getting at. Personally, I'd look at League one before I'd look at the SPL, and that includes "the mighty" (lol) Celtic.

You were stretching a bit, in order to get your dig in at Celtic.
    No wonder he didn't quite understand what you were getting at.

You were stretching a bit, in order to get your dig in at Celtic.
    No wonder he didn't quite understand what you were getting at.

It was a fairly thinly veiled dig at Celtic wasn't it?! :pac: :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 905 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

Squad is reduced to 33, Forrester misses out. However Hayes is retained and could be in line for a debut.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2016/0319/776036-forrester-misses-out-as-oneill/

Realistically the only uncapped player who I think could make the squad is Alan Judge. (Unless Hayes makes a serious impression)

Interesting also that Westwood was not kept in the squad.
    That would appear to end his Euro 2016 hopes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I would agree. Some comments on FB saying Forrester should feel hard done by being left out but I think he would have been surprised at getting a call up in the first place and the Euros is happening a bit too soon for him, definitely think we will see him in the jersey eventually though. These friendlies are big for Arter and Judge IMO, I would almost expect them to be included at this stage but hard to know who would lose out. Is Judge strictly a CM or can he play on the wing or how flexible is he? Haven't actually seen him play despite seeing multiple clips of his goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

What was the point of naming the bigger squad then reducing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Is Judge strictly a CM or can he play on the wing or how flexible is he? Haven't actually seen him play despite seeing multiple clips of his goals.

He has a good cross on him, but he's maybe a bit slow to play out wide. He looks every bit a number 10 and he might be exactly what we need there, because of his goals and creativity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

What really baffles me is the management's treatment of Westwood.

He's our only keeper that starts regularly and for a decent Sheffield Wednesday side who are in the playoff spots at the moment.

He was also in the Championship Team Of The Year last season. He should be starting for us, never mind not even making the squad

• Not sure if this is off-topic so apologies mods but my m8 got an email about 10% off the new jersey. It includes free printing if that tickles your fancy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

What really baffles me is the management's treatment of Westwood.

He's our only keeper that starts regularly and for a decent Sheffield Wednesday side who are in the playoff spots at the moment.

He was also in the Championship Team Of The Year last season. He should be starting for us, never mind not even making the squad

Is elliot not starting regularly for newcastle granted they are in shocking form.

id start with westwood as well as the game time helps but i do think randolph is the better keeper.

i just dont want shay given anywere near the squad nevermind the team but im fearing the worst there

allow me to cut and paste from RTE. Interesting points....

"If the choice to omit Keiren Westwood is not due to injury or personal reasons, then the decision is one of the most controversial out of all the selections. Westwood has kept 10 clean sheets in his 28 Championship appearances so far this season while David Forde is second-choice for League One side Millwall. Forde has started only seven league games in this campaign resulting in just one clean sheet and has conceded 12 times in those matches."

"Players who are in need of game time ahead of the European Championships have until Thursday to join a Football League club, thanks to the emergency window. The likes of Shay Given and Darron Gibson could join a Championship side for a period between 28 and 93 days."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,706 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

allow me to cut and paste from RTE. Interesting points....

"If the choice to omit Keiren Westwood is not due to injury or personal reasons, then the decision is one of the most controversial out of all the selections. Westwood has kept 10 clean sheets in his 28 Championship appearances so far this season while David Forde is second-choice for League One side Millwall. Forde has started only seven league games in this campaign resulting in just one clean sheet and has conceded 12 times in those matches."

Must be personal issues at this stage

sky88 wrote: »
    Is elliot not starting regularly for newcastle granted they are in shocking form.

id start with westwood as well as the game time helps but i do think randolph is the better keeper.

i just dont want shay given anywere near the squad nevermind the team but im fearing the worst there

I forgot about Elliot starting but it's only due to injury, as soon as Krul is back he'll be second choice again

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Id rather a keeper playing well and first choice for a top 6 championship team than a keeper who is getting relegated from the prem and is only playing because of injuries.

Randolf starting with Westwood on the bench is what I'd pick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭bren2001

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Id rather a keeper playing well and first choice for a top 6 championship team than a keeper who is getting relegated from the prem and is only playing because of injuries.

So what you really want is a second choice keeper who doesn't play?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

bren2001 wrote: »
    So what you really want is a second choice keeper who doesn't play?

Nope I see Randolf as our number one keeper after playing the last few games for us (and quite well) and has always played well for West Ham when called upon, which has been often enough.

I wouldnt go into the euros changing the first choice keeper but I would like an inform keeper to be there if needed. (Westwood)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Rossi IRL wrote: »

To Elliot's credit, he has been solid for a poor Newcastle side since taking over from Krul in October.

If Krul was to leave Newcastle in the summer, I'm certain Elliot would be number 1. Very reliable keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Elliot's been impressive whenever I've sen him and in high pressure situations too, unlike the other keepers. I would prefer him to get a chance and be our number one.

I'm not sold on Randolph yet. He's been solid, sure; but in less than a handful of games and he's not getting regular game time at club level. I wouldn't be shocked if he proves a liability.

My preference for the Euros would be

1. Westwood
    2. Elliot
    3. Randolph

When in reality it is going to be

1. Randolph
    2. Given
    3. Elliot

While I do like Randolph and he has been fine anytime he played for us I just don't think he has as much quality as Westwood.

Given chose to retire after Euro 2012 and I don't think he should be anywhere near the squad in 2016.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,882 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

with the tragic attack in brussels today belgium will go into the euros very fired up and will want to restore passion for the country. so its going to be more difficult for us now but its only a sport.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement