Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Fifa Superthread; Corruption, Arrests and Sepp Blatter's Resignation!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭ronjo

Unfortunately most of that came out after the award.
    The mainstream media paid little attention to Qatar's society in the run up to the vote because, come on, let's be honest, how could a country in the desert, the size of Munster, with a population of 2 million ever expect to host a World Cup ? :)

Platini backed them didnt he. He is as bad as Blatter, Sarkozy gets Qatar to invest in Paris and Platini then supports the world cup bid..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Muff_Daddy wrote: »
    You might want to add a few things to that list there Father.....

Like their draconian stance on women's rights.
    Their stance on homosexual, indeed heterosexual displays of affection.
    God help you if you're an Israili.

Its not so much that they are not 'fan friendly' - more so completely intolerant of any culture that's offends their own to the point of imposing ridicusiously harsh penal sentences on anyone who dare contravene them.

It really a lot more than a few westerners not being able to have a few scoops.

Add in a sporting reasons then too the fact they swore that it would go ahead during the summer and wouldn't affect interfere with the normal season. This despite it being 40-50 degrees during the summer month in Qatar. So then after amazingly convincing (bribing using **** tonnes of money) the voters that it's actually possible to play football in heat that would probably kill most Irishmen - they realise 'oh actually, you're right - that is nuts. We'll just change it to the winter. Which is still bloody warm. Their whole proposal was on the basis of a summer finals which is tradition but was ludicrous from the start.

In my mind, given the fact that there is hopefully proof of votes being bought then it would be remiss of what remains of FIFA not to have another vote. Which isn't going to happen - unless UEFA pull plant for a significant amount of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Overheal wrote: »
    Swiss: Nazi Gold? "We'll allow that."

stealing lines from John Stewart. :(

Anyone else remember they were talking about "Green" stadiums while also claiming they would use air-conditioning to cool the entire thing to allow players and fans survive the matches? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

There wont be another vote for the WC in Qatar, as being mentioned, it was backed by Platini, its not like his son works for a team financed by the Qataris or anything.

So I cant see UEFA kicking up a fuss over that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

GavRedKing wrote: »
    There wont be another vote for the WC in Qatar, as being mentioned, it was backed by Platini, its not like his son works for a team financed by the Qataris or anything.

So I cant see UEFA kicking up a fuss over that.

It is horrible the amount of influence those Qatari muppets have created in the last 10 years.

inforfun wrote: »
    It is horrible the amount of influence those Qatari muppets have created in the last 10 years.

I'd love if they stripped Qatar of the WC, theres so many countries that could host it with less investment and of course, no use of slave labour.

Its clear as day that bribes were flung around for a Qatar vote, nobody in their right mind would award them a WC without a back hander.

Its taken awhile but if it strips FIFA of the rotten core it has it'll make football a better place, hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Blatter speaking now. Live on sky sports for any interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

"The events of yesterday have cast a long shadow. Actions of individuals bring shame and demand action and change from us all. It has to stop here and now. I know many people hold me ultimately responsible for the actions of the global community. We, or I, cannot monitor everyone all of the time. If people want to do wrong, they will try to hide it. It must fall to me to be responsible for the wellbeing and repuation of our organisation.

I mus stress that those who are corrupt in football are in a minority. They must be "catched" and held responsible for their actions. Football must not be held exempt from the rules. We will cooperate with the authorities . There can be no place for corruption of any kind.

The next few months will not be easy for Fifa, I'm sure more bad news will follow. Let this be the turning point. More needs to be done to be sure everyone behaves responsibibly and ethically. Football, the fans, the players the clubs deserve so much more.

Tomorrow, the congress will have the opportunity to begin to rebuild trust. We have lost it, and we must earn it back. Through the decsisions we make and through the way we behave individually. That brings me to tonights ceremony. You have seen that the opening ceremony is about football, the spirit and aspect of football...."

and so on. He waffles on from here. I stopped typing because it was waffle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Just thinking out loud, but if Qatar was stripped of the world cup, could they have some legal redress against FIFA for costs incurred so far? Even if it was found that a bribe had been paid?

abelard wrote: »
    Just thinking out loud, but if Qatar was stripped of the world cup, could they have some legal redress against FIFA for costs incurred so far? Even if it was found that a bribe had been paid?

I'd say not, I mean if theyre bribing people for votes then theyve won the bid illegaly, it could go the other way, you might have contries that lost out in the bidding process trying to claim against Qatar as they stacked the voting and cost the bidding countries time and money in putting a bid plan in palce.

Again, thinking out loud with that though.

I'd love if this investigation threw up evidence of the bribes for votes for Qatar and it was stripped of the WC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

I'd much rather see Blatter someway implicated than Qatar losing the world cup.

However I think that wont be likely as he's too smart to have let himself get to close to the dirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

So he's just isolated key members of his organisation who have been arrested. I know if I was one of them I wouldn't be best pleased with that little statement. Having a way with words can only get you so far, it certainly shouldn't have kept him in power so long which makes me think he's only a puppet for someone or something. It's obvious there is huge international and political powers at play with so much power and money involved. How could what would seem like a hugely deceitful man be in power of such an organisation for so long continue to plough on for over 17 years? It's a dictatorship at it's finest it would seem but the man is a complete moron, who has never failed to put his foot in it at every opportunity. It just doesn't add up for me.

It's obvious to me Platini smells blood and is moving his chess pieces around the board to suit himself and not for some greater good so I wouldn't be so quick to side with him and Prince Ali either. So two sides of the same coin for me. Football is just a pawn being moved on the board to protect the elite in the background. Honesty and Politics are strangers to each other. Are there people out there who really care about football? Absolutely! There are millions of them. Will they ever be head honcho at organisations like Fifa/Uefa? Not a cats chance in hell. This is politics and business in full view and as is the norm the genuine people pay the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

• Advertisement

TheDoctor wrote: »
    I'd much rather see Blatter someway implicated than Qatar losing the world cup.

However I think that wont be likely as he's too smart to have let himself get to close to the dirt.

Blatter is 79, that problem will solve itself sooner than later.

Qatar isnt going away by itself. A WC there in november/december 2022 is madness. No alcohol, bloody hot. Even if the appalling labour circumstances are being solved one way or the other

Also, there is a "WC Hotties" thread here every WC.

Here is a preview of the one for Qatar

blackbox.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,154 ✭✭✭✭josip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Blatter is 79, that problem will solve itself sooner than later.

Qatar isnt going away by itself. A WC there in november/december 2022 is madness. No alcohol, bloody hot. Even if the appalling labour circumstances are being solved one way or the other

Also, there is a "WC Hotties" thread here every WC.

Here is a preview of the one for Qatar

[IMG]https://media2.wnyc.org/i/620/ 372/l/80/1/blackbox.jpeg[/IMG]

I've a mate working in Doha, and judging by his snapchats he's bananas drunk every Friday-Sunday,so I don't think alcohol is that big an issue. Also says Doha's a bit of a hole but improving slowly, while the heat is ok outside of summer. I hope it gets stripped from them, but as a fan who'll almost certainly be going if Ireland qualify, I'd far rather see Russia get stripped of the WC than Qatar. Getting out of the late November, early Dec misery in Ireland doesn't sound too bad, even if Qatar is a poor location

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭brevity

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I'd love if this investigation threw up evidence of the bribes for votes for Qatar and it was stripped of the WC.

Stripped of it by who?

Blatter/FIFA are digging their heels in on this one, the "wrongdoers" will be purged, and the rest of them will carry on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

Report: Underpaid Migrant Laborers Working 18 Hours Per Day On FIFA Legal Defense
    “We have reason to believe that dozens of malnourished, impoverished workers are being exploited by FIFA for their labor as they attempt to build a defense strategy for charges including bribery, money laundering, and racketeering,” said Human Rights Watch spokesperson Reed Brody, noting that the laborers, who originate from countries including Bangladesh, Thailand, and Senegal, have been reviewing financial records and filing subpoenas for hours on end in a fetid, dimly lit boiler room inside FIFA headquarters.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

thee glitz wrote: »

The Onion's ability to be painfully unfunny never ceases to impress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Fuhrer wrote: »

I'm paywall blocked from the Telegraph for this month but that headline is bizarre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,364 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I'm paywall blocked from the Telegraph for this month but that headline is bizarre.

FYI - Clear cookies and/or use the hola internet addon if you ever want to read the telegraph when you are blocked for reading 10 articles.

Oat23 wrote: »
    FYI - Clear cookies and/or use the hola internet addon if you ever want to read the telegraph when you are blocked for reading 10 articles.

My hero!

Never realised that would work (computer illiterate).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

The content is also quite weird

“Sepp Blatter has been a wonderful role model,” confirmed Lucifer. “But he still has so much to teach me before I can make the step up from running Hell to being the Dark Lord of an organisation as demonic and demented as Fifa. He is a constant inspiration.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,988 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Quite enjoyed that article :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,154 ✭✭✭✭josip

So when does the voting start and when will we actually know the result?
    Not that the result is in any doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Oat23 wrote: »

Or just open it in incognito mode works too I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I would love for all non Blatter supporting countries to pull out of world cup and form their own inter continental cup as an alternative.

It wont happen, but it would be the most assertive way to say that they wont be putting up with anymore of Blatter's antics.

Seeds already planted that the anti-Blatter UEFA teams would pull out of Russia, if they were to be joined by Australia, US (and NZ and Canada if the qualified) and whatever handful of other countries then it would.

However, the thing is that the South American, Asian and African sides which will qualify are likely Blatterites.

A WC without UEFA teams would be a farce though, and I wonder if the removal of Blatter is a worthy enough cause to do that - what do we know about Ali really? Is he a reformer? Is he Blatter-in-disguise? What are Platini's reform plans?

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    Throughout the afternoon, the legislative body will focus on the installation of the vice-presidents and members of the Executive Committee, as well as the process for the election of the FIFA President. A press conference will be held at the Home of FIFA on Saturday 30 May at 11.30am local time, after the 65th FIFA Congress is officially closed and this, too, will be streamed live on FIFA.com.

So we can expect to know tomorrow what way the voting has went it seems.

We should know this evening, there was supposed to be an address/press conference by the newly elected guy this evening, but that was pushed out to tomorrow.

It will most likely take 2 votes anyway.

Only with 66% of the votes for 1 candidate it can be over after 1 vote.
    2nd round a majority is sufficient

All 209 members are there so a 105 vote majority in the 2nd round will seal it.

Betfair thinks Blatter survives with those odds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Seeds already planted that the anti-Blatter UEFA teams would pull out of Russia, if they were to be joined by Australia, US (and NZ and Canada if the qualified) and whatever handful of other countries then it would.

However, the thing is that the South American, Asian and African sides which will qualify are likely Blatterites.

A WC without UEFA teams would be a farce though, and I wonder if the removal of Blatter is a worthy enough cause to do that - what do we know about Ali really? Is he a reformer? Is he Blatter-in-disguise? What are Platini's reform plans?

Non blatterites could also look at the potential rewards of an inter continental cup. They aren't completely squeaky clean, just maybe a little less corrupt!

Sponsorship for the World Cup would collapse and even for just one intercontinental cup in 2018, the countries that take part could make a killing.

With a revised, "clean" World Cup in 2022 (after a gap of 8 years) , the sponsorship revenue could be doubled due to anticipated interest.

It's not perfect or certain but there could be huge monetary gains from making a bold statement labelled "stamping out corruption in the game" and I could see all major sponsors lining up to be involved!

All 209 members are there so a 105 votes in the 2nd round will seal it.

Which is co-incidentally the number that Ali thinks he can get.

He told Platini he has 60 non-UEFA votes (god knows from where), plus the 45 definites Platini has said he has from UEFA.

If Ali did have 60, I think we'd have heard from more than USA, Canada, Aus and NZ though.

Which is co-incidentally the number that Ali thinks he can get.

He told Platini he has 60 non-UEFA votes (god knows from where), plus the 45 definites Platini has said he has from UEFA.

If Ali did have 60, I think we'd have heard from more than USA, Canada, Aus and NZ though.

1 rightly addressed Qatari envelope to some poor sucker from one of UEFA's poorer FA's and Blatter is safe.

They had 2 days for delivery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,511 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Russia being a member of UEFA would surely make it very messy for any UEFA countries to pull out of 2018. Would risk a complete schism within UEFA itself. So I don't think that will happen.
    Its actually a pity that the next world cup is Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Think it says it all that everyone expects bribery to take place and seemingly feels like nothing will really change. If there's bribery involved in it then I'd want no part of it regardless if Qatar or England, Australia or Russia. Belief in Fifa will take ages to be restored.

This Price Ali fellow that's running, who the hell is he? I know he's being backed by Delaney but why, what are his credentials for running this organization?

Delaney reckons it is time to stick it to blatter for making him look like a muppet.
    Revenge and all that.
    Also never forget the greasy pole and delaney might have international ambitions himself that this new guy might fulfill.
    snaps wrote: »
    If blatter stays, what stops countries pulling away from fifa and starting their own cup competition?

Russia and qatar could keep their world cups then and the countries that want to stay with fifa Can compete there.

Money.
    How much money does a world cup qualification campaign, nevermind qualification to actual world cup, bring national associations ?
    A lot of smaller countries like Ireland need that money.
    Headshot wrote: »
    This is could be a new dawn for soccer world.

Its really turned the sport upside down

I think you are being optimistic.

If you read the way Qatar bought the world cup and see the way Africa, Asia, Pacific, South America in particular are still backing the old status quo then there is no hope unless there is almost a total clearout worldwide.

The sponsors and TV companies are the ones that can change everything.
    Will they ?
    Will they fook, because there is too much revenue to be made.

A lot of people slag off the Americans but really they are only ones with the balls and ability to do what has been done over the past week.

I think they lent on the Swiss because it involves money laundering.

The one thing the Swiss cannot afford is loosing their US banking licenses and it was why they finally started releasing money rightfully belonging to Jewish descendents of holocaust victims.
    Besides the last thing the Swiss want is FBI, IRS nosing around their bank records.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Poor old Jack Warner left prison in an ambulance yesterday. Here is a photo of him from the Guardian liveblog recovering in an appropriate way less than 24 hours later, the poor fella.

06e29ecf-fe7a-4fde-a092-db33af78bbde-620x372.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

1 rightly addressed Qatari envelope to some poor sucker from one of UEFA's poorer FA's and Blatter is safe.

They had 2 days for delivery

How friendly are the Jordanian and Qatari regimes ?

I am not allowed discuss …

Rather interesting and in itself could be seen as bribery too:

When Blatter took over FIFA, FIFA were in debt.
    Nowadays FIFA, originally a non-profit organisation, has 1,5 billion in the bank/

And The Prince has vowed to hand over that 1,5 billion to the member states, should he win the election......

(i do have links/sources but it is all in Dutch)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Russia being a member of UEFA would surely make it very messy for any UEFA countries to pull out of 2018. Would risk a complete schism within UEFA itself. So I don't think that will happen.
    Its actually a pity that the next world cup is Europe.

I think a lot of fans would be quite happy to see Russia leave Uefa, no more travelling to the arsehole of nowhere to play their crappy teams.

Yep, the sponsors have put too much of their money into FIFA to just leave, they'll have made all kinds of up-front payments, money they won't get back. And it's not small change.

Besides, if Coke pull out you can be damn sure Pepsi are waiting in the wings to jump into bed with "new clean FIFA". Or Burger King, or whoever.

Rather interesting and in itself could be seen as bribery too:

When Blatter took over FIFA, FIFA were in debt.
    Nowadays FIFA, originally a non-profit organisation, has 1,5 billion in the bank/

And The Prince has vowed to hand over that 1,5 billion to the member states, should he win the election......

(i do have links/sources but it is all in Dutch)

that's not bribery, that's giving money to it's owners imo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement