Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2018 World Cup Qualification

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭JamboMac

murpho999 wrote: »
    Better, more Premiership players than us. The rankings don't lie.

The rankings are a bit skewed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

JamboMac wrote: »
    If you take bale out of the team, how do you rate the players in comparison to ours.

And Aaron Ramsey?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Eh, it's not irrelevant at all, they beat us recently.

True, i thought you were on about our overall record against them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

The rankings are a bit skewed.

A bit skewed yes, i think we deserved to be in Pot 2, was a bonus getting in Pot 1, delighted we got you though, 6 points in the bag already ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Better, more Premiership players than us. The rankings don't lie.

No one is dispuitng that they are better than us but its by far the best draw we could have got from Pot A and we certainly wont be afraid of them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

No one is dispuitng that they are better than us but its by far the best draw we could have got from Pot A and we certainly wont be afraid of them.

I think England are more beatable than Wales

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Just thinking about those England vs Scotland fixtures, the political backdrop to that will be very interesting as it relates to Scottish independence. The SNP are set to do very well in next year's Scottish Assembly elections and there's speculation they may make another independence referendum a part of their manifesto.

Then there's the upcoming referendum on EU membership which is set for 2016 or 2017. There is much more demand for EU withdrawal in England than there is in Scotland, and some commentators have said that if the UK voted to withdraw, that could push many Scots who voted No to independence into voting Yes.

Amidst ever widening relations between Scotland and England, the two nations find themselves up against one another in the race to the World Cup. It will be fascinating to see what effect, if any, the qualification campaign has on the political situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,544 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Agree, Wales is the team we would have wanted at the start, it's just that I find the Irish team extremely poor at the moment, as it looks like we've missed out on Euro 16 so don't see how we'll be any better come September 2016.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Just thinking about those England vs Scotland fixtures, the political backdrop to that will be very interesting as it relates to Scottish independence. The SNP are set to do very well in next year's Scottish Assembly elections and there's speculation they may make another independence referendum a part of their manifesto.

Then there's the upcoming referendum on EU membership which is set for 2016 or 2017. There is much more demand for EU withdrawal in England than there is in Scotland, and some commentators have said that if the UK voted to withdraw, that could push many Scots who voted No to independence into voting Yes.

Amidst ever widening relations between Scotland and England, the two nations find themselves up against one another in the race to the World Cup. It will be fascinating to see what effect, if any, the qualification campaign has on the political situation.

And there was me just thinking of the fans kicking the shoite out of each other

We need a striker Robbie Keane is past it and probably has been for a while, I don't know why Shane long gets little play.

Maybe we can scalp bramford, anybody rate him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 655 ✭✭✭marvsins

A lot can happen in a year. September '14 Wales were scraping a late 2-1 win against Andorra.

Home result are going to be massive in our group.

Last time we beat Wales 3-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,827 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Yes Australia moved to Asia for football reasons

Suriname and Guyana play in CONACAF and are already out

Thanks !

Great draw for Ireland tbh.

Wales top seeds is hilarious. Fair play to them for getting there but it's definitely a blip

We can top this group.

lol

good enough draw for us but any team in that group could beat us

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

It wasn't that long ago Wales were a Pot 6 team with Bale and Ramsey in their side.
    James Collins and Ashley Williams will be well into their 30's by 2016 & 2017
    Chris Gunter, Simon Church and Hal Robson Kanu regularly start for them

Of course we can top this group. Austria and Serbia are nothing special either. However, on the flip side, we are all of similar quality. We could easily finish 4th as much as we could finish 1st.

But never will Ireland get a better chance to actually top their World Cup qualification group. Qualifying automatically in 1st is an actual realistic target to aim for.

Trilla wrote: »
    lol

The group is upside down
    The group is upside down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

lol

good enough draw for us but any team in that group could beat us

And we could beat any team in the group. It's quite evenly matched overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

We need a striker Robbie Keane is past it and probably has been for a while, I don't know why Shane long gets little play.

Maybe we can scalp bramford, anybody rate him.

Could have been a lot worse. No standout teams in there. Battle between us Serbia, Wales and Austria for the top 2. Georgia bound to upset someone so might a case of getting them away early and hopefully getting 3pts from them. I can see us drawing a lot of games here so home wins against 2 of the 3 might get us handily in the top 2.....

And as an aside, Serbia V Georgia could lead to bans, etc for the former.....

All in all better then it looked initially and as for Bamford, Yes Please! I believe he is more inclined than others I will refrain from mentioning! Hes going to do well with Palace in the PL next year and hopefully we can have him in the International squad sooner rather than later...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

lol

I'm not sure what the lol is as clearly its a group we should have realistic belief that we can win.
    The betting industry seems to see winning it as generally 2/1 Wales, 2/1 Austria, 4/1 Ireland, 4/1 Serbia, so a really tight 4way battle with no standouts.

In our standard horrid groups with Italy or Germany we are usually 14/1 rags.

• Advertisement

O Neill will hopefully be sent packing before this starts

baz2009 wrote: »
    And we could beat any team in the group. It's quite evenly matched overall.

Whens the last time we've beaten something competitively of a good standard? Seeded above us?

Odds or no odds, I know for a fact nobody here will we rushing down with their weekly wages to back us to win the group.

2nd would be outstanding. 3rd or 4th optimistic. I admire to a point optimism but lets be realistic here... I can only see us winning 1 or 2 away games max.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

rarnes1 wrote: »
    O Neill will hopefully be sent packing before this starts

This - it's a good draw, considering, we're in pot 4, but with O'Neill at the helm there's no hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Not too pleased we got Austria, we have a terrible record against them over the years.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Very kind group, but I honestly can see us falling short again. Our squad is really poor.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

Jaysus what a draw, easiest draw I can remember, unfortunately we aren't so hot ourselves but some good young lads coming through, we will be stronger in a years time. Was a bit shocked when I heard Wales were top seeds. We can win this group!Bring it on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

I guess i ll be cheering for Chile in WC2018 because Holland will not be there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Group A definitely the Group of Death. Groups H and especially I could have some surprises.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭hoopyhoopy

Anyone who realistically thinks Ireland will easily qualify from this group Is most definitely sitting in front of their dial up internet desktop computer in their GAP top that is 2 sizes too big, still stuck in the 90s

There is not one Irish player that would hold down a starting place in Wales - Serbia nor the Austrian team. (Barring maybe Coleman) .... The thought of that is depressing enough without the realisation that Wales Serbia and Austria have serious talent in the pipeline whilst the Irish pipeline is rotting away playing play stations or worse again picking up rugby balls.

There has to be some serious emphasis put in to the development of the youth of Irish soccer, we can only look and envy the likes of Belgium Iceland and Wales in what they have done in restructuring the youth set up ....

Hazard - bale - Ramsey - Benteke - courtiois - deneyar - Williams ..... Serbia u20 World Cup champions

What have Ireland produced in the last decade!?? Stephanie Roche - let that sink in, no disrespect to Stephanie she literally has been the only highlight of Irish soccers past decade.

The change has to start from the FAI and john Delaney is the first that has to go. He has done nothing for the development of the league of Ireland and youth football. The pathway for an aspiring soccer star currently in Ireland is aged 10 they are brought out to a field, given a ball and told off you go have a game amongst yourselves lads.

The whole structure needs changing, Belgium for example would not allow any youth to be coached by and uneducated armchair fan daddy, anyone in a position of management in Belgium from kids upwards was required to have relevant coaching badges. Each county in Ireland should have their own club which competes in the top tiers of Irish football and centres of excellence set up at each of these clubs and the best players from each county at all ages develop through the ranks and be trained by qualified coaches.

As long as john Delaney remains at the helm he will continue to hoard the majority of the income stream, the country will not develop any quality stars and the league if Ireland will deteriorate even further.

That day doesn't seem on the horizon anytime soon based on the rapturous applause Delaney received at the latest AGM - so until that time comes, my advise would be to forget this foreign sport and maybe pick up an owl rugby ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Austria are very decent side at minute.

Although Serbia are always due few deducted points cause of crowd trouble.

The 3 teams above us will see it as good chance too.

We won't top group, 2nd at very best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I'm hoping Ireland does sh*te and finishes bottom. If I had to choose between finishing 1st and finishing last, I'll take last.

Nothing will change if we manage to qualify. I'd rather sacrifice 2018 and hope that forces change.

hoopyhoopy wrote: »
    .... Each county in Ireland should have their own club which competes in the top tiers of Irish football and centres of excellence set up at each of these clubs and the best players from each county at all ages develop through the ranks and be trained by qualified coaches....

I don't disagree with a lot of your post, but this particular bit is nonsense.
    Quite why people think the incredibly flawed and stupid county system is actually a suitable model for the top tier is baffling.

Oat23 wrote: »
    I'm hoping Ireland does sh*te and finishes bottom. If I had to choose between finishing 1st and finishing last, I'll take last.

Nothing will change if we manage to qualify. I'd rather sacrifice 2018 and hope that forces change.

Ok.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Wow.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Ok.......

I can see where he's coming from tbh. Football in this country is broken. If it takes a major disaster of a campaign to kickstart the necessary changes then that's preferable to scraping qualification and continuing as we are.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement

I can see where he's coming from tbh. Football in this country is broken. If it takes a major disaster of a campaign to kickstart the necessary changes then that's preferable to scraping qualification and continuing as we are.

He'd rather finish last than first.

I see exactly where he's coming from..

He'd rather finish last than first.

I see exactly where he's coming from..

Do you agree that football is broken in this country?

If we finish first, somehow, nothing changes. Everything continues as is. Delaney gets a question about football in Ireland in the years after qualifying: "Ah sure we qualified in 2018, all is grand". Bollocks. We need change and a major disaster is the only way I see that happening.

I would rather finish bottom in 2018 to give us a better chance in 2022, 2026, 2030 and every world cup after.

I don't disagree with a lot of your post, but this particular bit is nonsense.
    Quite why people think the incredibly flawed and stupid county system is actually a suitable model for the top tier is baffling.

It may not work mate, but something needs to be radically changed, a complete overhaul is needed. For me the county club system would work because it would mean each kid in each county would have close proximity to their top main county club and each county to have youth teams all ages up awards .

I also think by each county having a club it would create a sense of pride within each county along with support and rivalry between counties. This generates a following which generates gate and merchandise revenue which attracts youths to aspire to play for their county club.

It wouldn't take too much to implement this a lot of counties have their Loi teams as is. Galway - Sligo - Limerick - cork - etc.

By doing this centres of excellence could be set up at these clubs within each county. Each county in essence would have their very own centre of excellece.

The local towns and villages would still have the local clubs but the best and most promising players at these clubs would be picked up by their county clubs from under 12 teams upwards to seniors to hone and develop the best players from youth up with best facilities and coaches at these county clubs.

If we finish first, somehow, nothing changes. Everything continues as is. Delaney gets a question about football in Ireland in the years after qualifying: "Ah sure we qualified in 2018, all is grand". Bollocks. We need change and a major disaster is the only way I see that happening.

I would rather finish bottom in 2018 to give us a better chance in 2022, 2026, 2030 and every world cup after.

Yes football is seriously ****ed in the country.

However, finishing bottom would give us zero chance of qualifying as we would be 6th seeds.

Also, even finishing bottom wouldn't mean the end of Delaney!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Decent chance the worst second place finisher will be from our group

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Great draw for Ireland tbh.

Wales top seeds is hilarious. Fair play to them for getting there but it's definitely a blip

I find it really strange that Wales are top seeds. I always thought that European Championship form doesn't really count for much when it comes to World Cup draws, that it's previous World Cup history that counts. They're doing really well in Euro 2016 qualifying, but they came fifth in qualifying for WC 2014. How the hell have they jumped to top seeds? How the hell have countries with a good recent World Cup pedigree like Holland, Sweden and France ended up in the same group? Obviously the rankings are playing a much bigger role than I thought.

As for the draw itself today, anything could happen. All 4 countries are unpredictable and could be good, could be bad. Serbia will be tough, their under 20's team should be transitioning nicely into their senior team by 2016. Best to get them early in the campaign. I think we'll finish 3rd.

Yes football is seriously ****ed in the country.

However, finishing bottom would give us zero chance of qualifying as we would be 6th seeds.

Also, even finishing bottom wouldn't mean the end of Delaney!!

So your answer is to do nothing then? Let our league and our quality of players continue to deteriorate while the NT scrapes through to a world cup every 16 years?

We can do better than that. I'd rather sacrifice the near future and hope it forces change so we can do better in the 20s and 30s.

So your answer is to do nothing then? Let our league and our quality of players continue to deteriorate while the NT scrapes through to a world cup every 16 years?

We can do better than that. I'd rather sacrifice the near future and hope it forces change so we can do better in the 20s and 30s.

But the fact is "nothing" is exactly what we have been doing and continue to do - absolutely nothing. That clown Delaney is getting away with murder , he actually got a standing applause at last weeks AGM despite the FAI being in severe debt, the national side also look like we won't qualify to yet another tournament, no talented noteworthy players breaking through, no plan/blueprint in place to change any of this....... Yet Delaney will still stay there earn his €300,000 without answering to anyone nor outlining what exactly his plans are to revive football in this country.

What is going to happen yet again - Ireland fail to qualify and the fans will get angry at management (who can't be blamed for getting average results with a horrific set up and abysmal conveyor belt of talent) , FAI and john won't get mentioned , they'll sack current management and get in high profile team costing millions the FAI don't have and everything will be rosey once again for half a year..... And the cycle will continue until the fans overthrow that management team for not being able to make perfume from ****

The rot has to stop from the top, how crazy is it that FAI have never answered anyone on a failed qualification, they are happy for current managers to take the abuse while they sit back unnoticed. The FAI have never released a definite plan nor bluetprint with regard the creation and development of a sustainable league and quality player development.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

I'm really glad nobody outside of the internet actually thinks like this

fyfe79 wrote: »
    I find it really strange that Wales are top seeds. I always thought that European Championship form doesn't really count for much when it comes to World Cup draws, that it's previous World Cup history that counts.

In fairness your understanding is way off, in fact the current Euro Champs qualifying campaign is the most significant aspect of the world rankings which leads to the seedings.
    Competitive games (e.g., uefa16 qualifiers, copa america finals etc) within the last 12 months give you most of your points, with equivalent games in the prior 12 months only counting half, and the previous 12 months counting even less. And friendlies in any period counting for relative peanuts.

Which is not to say that Wales should be #1seeds, but at least kinda clarifies why. All explained here if you have an hour!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

In fairness your understanding is way off, in fact the current Euro Champs qualifying campaign is the most significant aspect of the world rankings which leads to the seedings.
    Competitive games (e.g., uefa16 qualifiers, copa america finals etc) within the last 12 months give you most of your points, with equivalent games in the prior 12 months only counting half, and the previous 12 months counting even less. And friendlies in any period counting for relative peanuts.

Which is not to say that Wales should be #1seeds, but at least kinda clarifies why. All explained here if you have an hour!

Also Wales haven't played a friendly in over a year and playing friendliest where the manager is experimenting and top players don't travel is a good way of dropping ranking points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,170 ✭✭✭✭josip

batistuta9 wrote: »
    What kind of a trip would that be?(Serbia away)

It'll be the pick of the away trips. Serbian fans wouldn't have a great reputation for friendliness towards the opposition supporters,
    but as a nation they have a lot of fondness for the Irish, seeing themselves as kindred Celtic brethern.
    Johnny Logan is still a celebrity over here. :)
    I happened to be in Belgrade when Rovers beat Partisan.
    Their supporters were applauding Rovers by the end of the game, no bitterness or agro whatsoever.

Beer is cheap and good, but you'll have to order the next round when the waiter brings you this round.
    Serbian women are very pretty, but don't expect Copper Faced Jacks when you're over here.

They are also happy with the draw
    http://sport.blic.rs/Fudbal/Svetski-fudbal/276346/Mozemo-li-do-Mundijala-Srbija-nikada-nije-dobila-laksu-grupu-od-ove
    (Serbia has never had as easy a group as this)

and

http://sport.blic.rs/Fudbal/Svetski-fudbal/276355/Na-putu-do-Rusije-stoje-nam-Bejl-nezainteresovani-Irci-i-jedan-Loznicanin

which includes the nugget
    "That the Irish did not care much about the World Cup draw, can be seen from the fact that the official website of the FAI did not mention the announcement of the draw in Moscow, let alone opinion about the draw."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Sad to say it but even last in that group wouldnt dislodge Delaney and is ilk. Thats a discussion for another thread but your point is taken.

Ok we dont have the resources Jack had in the '90s but in fairness they were exceptional and times have changed.

As previously stated we could finish anywhere from 1 to 4 in this group which is a first for quite some time. Our current group - deep breath - is very tough compared to others and if - big if - we some how finish 3rd then maybe thats where we are relative to the teams above us. However this wc group is different and we may get out of it..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Austria at the moment are a much better team than most people here realise, they'll beat Ireland no bother

I'm really glad nobody outside of the internet actually thinks like this

You'll have to take your head out of the sand at some point. Enjoy another 3rd or 4th placed finish. Then 5th for 2022..

• Advertisement
Advertisement