Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spanish authorities accuse Messi of tax fraud

• 12-06-2013 2:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭

Breaking news on BBC - apparently relating to Messi and his father in the region of €4m, small fry really......

https://twitter.com/bbcbreaking/status/344804858915872768

Eurosport :
    World Player of the Year Messi and his father Jorge allegedly filed fraudulent tax returns for the years 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009, according to a spokesman for the prosecutor's office for tax crimes in Catalonia.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Obviously the tax officals and prosecutors office is full of Espanyol and Real fans. :D

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Awaits Andersonisgod response.............

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

A good few media sites carrying this but none with any more information than above.

It needs more context, I'm inclined to think its a 'mix up' between assets in Argentina and Spain....

GavRedKing wrote: »

Well I reckon he will claim Messi is the best tax defaulter in the world to go with all the other bests in the world that make up Barca.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

I think we are all jumping to conclusions too quickly. Guilty until proven innocent, we don't know the facts of the case, the context or anything. Let's wait until some facts and details are released and Messi is given the chance to respond.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,229 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Could be a mistake on his part, 4m is probably so little to him he genuinely didn't notice!

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I'd give him the benefit of the doubt for now, since it was only from 2006-2009.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,778 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Between his wages, sponsorship and endorsements, I'd say €4 million is about 2 months pay to Messi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

I think we are all jumping to conclusions too quickly. Guilty until proven innocent, we don't know the facts of the case, the context or anything. Let's wait until some facts and details are released and Messi is given the chance to respond.

Did you mean innocent until proven guilty?

Did you mean innocent until proven guilty?

Haha I just re-read that there and laughed, I'm flustered dammit, I'm already preparing the "free Messi" picket signs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,355 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

you wouldn't catch Ronaldo doing that.

tut tut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

All going to go down hill for him now . Wouldn't surprise me to see him playing Sunday league football in a year or 2 .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭beer enigma

"consisted of simulating the assignment of image rights to front companies based in tax havens [Belize, Uruguay] and, at the same time, formalising contracts of licensing, agency or benefit from services between these companies, and other such instruments domiciled in convenient jurisdictions [the UK, Switzerland]. This was done with the intended and successful aim that the incomes would move from countries where the companies or entities were based, to companies domiciled in tax havens, without being submitted to any taxation and, furthermore, with total opacity towards the Spanish Tax Authorities.

More here:

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1474775/report-barcelona-lionel-messi-served-tax-complaint?cefewfdewfdew#&cc=5739

Andip wrote: »
    "consisted of simulating the assignment of image rights to front companies based in tax havens [Belize, Uruguay] and, at the same time, formalising contracts of licensing, agency or benefit from services between these companies, and other such instruments domiciled in convenient jurisdictions [the UK, Switzerland]. This was done with the intended and successful aim that the incomes would move from countries where the companies or entities were based, to companies domiciled in tax havens, without being submitted to any taxation and, furthermore, with total opacity towards the Spanish Tax Authorities...

Yet more simulation from a Barca player.
    Quel surprise.

BTW According to BBC ...
    On Wednesday, a complaint signed by prosecutor Raquel Amado was filed at the courthouse in Gava - the affluent Barcelona district where Messi is a resident.

Judges at the courthouse must first accept the complaint before the suspects can be charged, reports say.

They should have lodged the papers in Madrid.
    Just for a laugh like.

First we had mick wallace and now Messi.
    Where is it all going to end ?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Klim

GavRedKing wrote: »

Anderson is a Barca fan???? You sure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

Messi is the sole reason why Spain's economy is fúcked. Damn you to Hell, Messi, damn you to Hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Thecon21

This was a joke response to GavRedKing's earlier comment yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

If he just listed 10 dependents on his tax forms he could have avoided all that foreign account illegality.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

If he doesn't want to pay tax he should head for Monaco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Could he face prison?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Should be stripped of all the medals he won while avoiding tax, better still auction them off to pay what he owes!

I would do the same if I thought I could get away with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

I see some reports in Spain that Messi has been summoned to appear in a Barcelona court on Sept.17th for tax evasion. Lets see how he dodges this defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Thecon21

Messi and his father have been charged.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22987229
    A Spanish judge has summoned Barcelona footballer Lionel Messi to appear in court on 17 September over tax fraud allegations.

The 25-year-old Argentine, who has four times been named World Player of the Year, and his father are accused of defrauding the Spanish authorities of more than 4m euros (£3.4m).

They are suspected of using companies abroad - in Belize and Uruguay - to sell the rights to use Messi's image.

They both deny the allegations.

Messi's net salary from Barcelona is said to be about 16m euros a year, making him one of the world's most highly-paid sportspeople.

He has also signed multi-million-dollar endorsements with commercial sponsors around the world.

The player and his father, Jorge, are accused of three times defrauding the Spanish state of taxes.

The income related to his image rights included contracts with Banco Sabadell, Danone, Adidas, Pepsi-Cola, Proctor and Gamble and the Kuwait Food Company.

If he is convicted, Messi could face up to six years in prison and a big fine, according to Spain's Efe news agency.

He wrote on his Facebook page, after the allegations became known last week: "We have never committed any infringement. We have always fulfilled all our tax obligations."

Messi's achievements on the field have made him one of the most marketable in the business.

He came from a modest background and has overcome a serious health issue, joining Barcelona as a 13-year-old in 2000 and making his first-team debut only three years later.

He was ranked 10th among Forbes' list of sports stars' incomes this month.

The president of Barcelona FC, Sandro Rosell, has said the club has no doubt that the superstar is innocent of tax avoidance.

Messi is due to play a prominent role in the Adidas World Cup marketing campaign.

Adidas CEO Herbert Hainer told reporters that the company "will continue to work with Lionel. He's the best football player in the world and we are happy that we have him".

But the allegations are a big blow to the prestige of Messi, who has long been seen as a more humble figure than most top-class footballers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

If he were imprisoned the Spanish government would lose out on a lot more money than he owes them currently. Soon as they find a way to save face they'll let it go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

AgileMyth wrote: »
    If he were imprisoned the Spanish government would lose out on a lot more money than he owes them currently. Soon as they find a way to save face they'll let it go.

By that logic they would never have brought the case in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,552 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I'm actually nervous as to you going off the rails if this ends up being true. Eminem Stan kinda ****.

CSF wrote: »
    I'm actually nervous as to you going off the rails if this ends up being true. Eminem Stan kinda ****.

Again that's a big if. Messi and his father will get the chance to defend themselves in a court of law, they will have the chance to give their side of the story and then a judgement will be made. As of now they are still innocent citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

IF he is guilty, jail time is certain given the figure involved.

• Advertisement

I wonder how this will affect his Player of the Year chances.

Again that's a big if. Messi and his father will get the chance to defend themselves in a court of law, they will have the chance to give their side of the story and then a judgement will be made. As of now they are still innocent citizens.
    Man, I know how the ****in criminal system works. Jesus.

I wonder how this will affect his Player of the Year chances.
    He will have to have an absolutely phenomenal start to the 13/14 season to get it imo. Ronaldo has been absolutely lethal since January and with no major summer cup competition to sway things it would take a large swing between the 2 guys for Messi to win it this year if the voting is done on merit.

Man, I know how the ****in criminal system works. Jesus.

I'm sure you do but some people seem to be jumping to conclusions and it's important to remind them of how the criminal systems work before they throw away the key.

I'm sure you do but some people seem to be jumping to conclusions and it's important to remind them of how the criminal systems work before they throw away the key.
    The word if has been used in almost every post. People are going to speculate about the possibilities of what might happen if he was found guilty, but it would take a very stupid man to assume guilt based entirely on accusation, and I think the thousands of threads on the soccer forum has established that there are no stupid people on this forum.

The word if has been used in almost every post. People are going to speculate about the possibilities of what might happen if he was found guilty, but it would take a very stupid man to assume guilt based entirely on accusation, and I think the thousands of threads on the soccer forum has established that there are no stupid people on this forum.

I'm going to have to take your word for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

As of now they are still innocent citizens.

Innocent taxpayers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Fifa 14 cover.

YJpzmH4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

there are not that many stupid people on this forum.

FYP

Ehh I know Messi was granted Spanish citizenship at around 18 so that he could play for Barca (a bit Barry McGuiganist if you ask me), but would Daddy not be an Argentinian citizen ?

Or Perhaps they are citizens of Belize ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

BUMPO

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/oct/03/lionel-messi-appeal-tax-fraud-rejected
    Lionel Messi is set to face trial in an alleged tax fraud after his appeal against being named in the case was rejected by a judge in Barcelona.

According to AS, the appeal was rejected on the basis that the Argentina captain could have been aware of the activities of his father, Jorge Messi, who acts as the player’s representative and manages all of his financial affairs.

The appeal from Messi was on the basis that there was no evidence of wrongdoing on the part of the playern and requested “the dismissal of proceedings to that effect”. The appeal was challenged by the public prosecutor with the judge ruling that was a “subjective opinion” that Messi “was on the periphery of the financial, contractual and tax management of his income”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

SlickRic wrote: »
    you wouldn't catch Ronaldo doing that.

tut tut.

Indeed!

Wouldn't last long in prison

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭DildoFaggins

^Exactly wouldn't have Xavi and Iniesta to assist him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

He will still win his case,

He has been coming out on top with a sh1t defence for years now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

New longest yard movie on the horizon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,891 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Wouldn't last long in prison

I don't know he could get pretty jacked up using all those growth hormones and doing all those weights in prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

This could end up as one of those "Better Together" bribes. If Catalonia doesn't vote for independence they'll drop the charges against Messi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,891 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So Messi to threaten to leave Spain and a bidding war between PSG, City, Utd and whoever else can bankroll him next summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Considering the minefield that is Third party ownerships, player charities, tax registrations, club registrations and transfer I think the Spanish authorities deserve a great deal of kudos. Nothing like making a signature statement against one of the sport's biggests stars.

Here's hoping more players get the something noun idiom I forget around their something too. (Basically that this is just the beginning of another type of clamp down on football.)

• Advertisement
Advertisement