Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wesley Hoolahan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Cheerio Wes, at least its all over now. (You'd swear someone had died...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Are trying to say that Shels will be able to replace Hoolahan.

Unless you can buy up George for c. €1m then I dont think so.

The problem with Shels was always their lack of guile, especially in Europe. In the EL it was poosible to bully teams with your physical play but when you went up a notch you needed a classic No. 10 player and Wes was the man.

If he was fit for the Bucharest matches imagine what the scoreline would have been.

Don't try to lesson the loss of Wes.

ITS MASSIVE

Are trying to say that Shels will be able to replace Hoolahan.

Unless you can buy up George for c. €1m then I dont think so.

The problem with Shels was always there lack of guile, especially in Europe. In the EL it was poosible to bully teams with your physical play but when you went up a notch you needed a classic No. 10 player and Wes was the man.

If he was fit for the Bucharest matches imagine what the scoreline would have been.

Don't try to lesson the loss of Wes.

ITS MASSIVE

Who you talking to? Me???

I'm devestated, gutted, depressed... Check out the original post in the thread!

I'm only saying at least its over now cos its been on the cards for the past few days and its been bugging me like hell. At least now its finalized and I can get over it.

He was an absolute hero to me, the best player I've had the pleasure of seeing play for Shels. We will get over it but losing him and possibly Jayo will take a couple of years to get over. There is no player on this earth I would imagine Shels could realistically sign to adequately replace Wes-o, he was a one in a million player.

So Joe Soap!

Do you thing Shels can recover and win the league this season?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Anyway very disappointing. Shels wont get a player like him for the money they received.

I agree with all that you have said, but here I'd go further. It will be a long, long time before Shels get a player of Hoolahans quality to play for them even if they had far far more than the absolutley pathetic sum recieved for him to spend.

Agree also Fenlon did not get the best out of him at all, not even slightly, but as a player who can pass the ball he's not really Nutsys type. The same can be applied to Joey Ndo who couldn't make the bench for a few matches this season, Fenlon prefering to give a debut to James Chambers in Cork in his place.

I was upset over potentially loseing Jayo, but I'm absolutley gutted over this. As joesoap has said, he was an absolute hero who you'd look forward to watching on his own. Realistically we'll never replace him.

His pathetic choice of club only adds insult to injury, not to mention his bloody transfer fee. It's an insult to the league, to Shels and to himself.

• Advertisement

So Joe Soap!

Not without signings. The mid field is now 100% reliant on Joey Ndo, who will probably be playing reserve matches until he learns to kick the ball into row Z, for any creativity whatsoever now. We'll struggle to get goals especially if Jayo goes, we lack the guile now and I'm dreading Europe, I really really am.

So Joe Soap!

Only if every single player we have left plays to their full potential, but I can't see that happening. We may even have a struggle for third place on our hands, but we'll have to wait and see if there are any new faces at Tolka before the season begins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

I'm actually distraught! :( A magician on the field, a hero. That saga ruined Christmas, and now the new year! :o

The amount of times Ollie Cahill was ahead of Wes was criminal in fairness.

They shouldn't enen be competing with each other for ****s Sakes.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Having a look at ShelsFc website and hes gone already from the squadlist (think Gilzean is still playing according to patsfc :) ) , but theres still some of the best players in the league there.
    And assuming Fenlon knew this was coming and prepared for it there is a still a decent four to be picked from whats left. All season i wondered why he couldnt get his game as he was the best there if played correctly. Byrne Ryan Moore Ndo (for now :p ) Baker O Neill Cahill.

kdjac

• Advertisement

I don't think Ollie got in ahead of Wes too much actually... especially not towards the end of the season when Cahill played left back for a while.

If we get Dillon that'll give Ollie another shot out wide left. I suppose with Ndo on right central, and Ryan out wide right we'll have a decent right hand side! ;)

Leaving Reynolds/Byrne/Moore/Crawford to battle it out for the one remaining spot!

Shels still have excellent players available.

Crawford, Byrne, and Reynolds will control most games next year, but what about in Europe or against Cork and Drogheda.

I fear Shels are going to be left behind.

Fear is the wrong word there:D

Reynolds/Byrne/Crawford; yes. Moore can play left winger alright, and Nutsy'll probably use him as a striker anyways!! Don't forget Chambers! ;)

Ollie was in ahead of Wes alot at the start of the season, an absolute joke.

Ollie has filled in well at left back but is no longer a championship winning material left winger nevermind what'll happen in Europe, we need to get someone in or bloody Tyrell who was by all accounts outstanding with Bray last year and certinaly got two brilliant frees against Bohs, instantly making him a fan favourite with Shels anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Reynolds? Has he ever played 2 seasons with any club, was expecthim to be next out the door.

Hes the Els very own Kevin Keegan of contracts

kdjac

Doesnt make him a good player.

I remember being really pissed off when he left City 3 years ago.

he was my player of the season that year. A real ball winner in the middle of the park.

Why he left City is a strange one. Not the first time the Cork City board has let a quality player go for **** all though.

Reynolds will stay but probably not beyond next season. Afterall he only played a few times last season for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

this mornings indo said he went for €145,000, daylight funking robbery

• Advertisement

Yeah thats about right. All we can do is sit back and watch that €145k turn into millions now (though not for Shels I'm sure).

http://www.unison.ie/sportsdesk/other/stories.php3?ca=207&si=1535521

http://www.tribalfootball.com/december/scotnews2311205.html

http://sport.scotsman.com/football.cfm?id=2479202005

Would be nice to hear some Wes quotes about Shels or the Shels fans.

He was treated like a God, would be nice to hear something nice in return, but he is a Livingston player now and all we can do is wish him well. Perhaps a trip to Livi - Rangers is now on? :) Lol.

I'm seriously thinking of going over for a game or two.

Something I'd think about before our season starts, just depends on if he gets into the team or not (though I'd imagine he'll walk into it!).

Apparently its the first time they've actaully paid money for a player in a long time, so they are expecting big things.

They won't be disappointed!

How true that is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,279 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Now let us see what all the fuss is about, £100k is a pathethic sum for someone so highly rated

His first game should be aagainst Alloa in the Cup next week. I am sure Celtic will keep tabs on him :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Wes leaving Shels is an absolute disaster not only for Shels but also for the eL. He's irreplacable, we're gonna miss him badly but he was always going to leave at some point and we'll just have to accept that and continue battling on.

If this 120k rumour is true (which looks very likely), Shelbourne FC have made a complete and utter mockery of themsleves accepting this derogatory transfer fee. Have they not ever heard of Kevin Doyle? :rolleyes:

Anyway good luck Wes, IMO you've made a bad bad move but I hope you prove me wrong. A true legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

bad move really, look at foran, hunt, dempsey etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,279 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Yeah, Foran scores Motherwells first goal in their 2-1 defeat over Livingston and is probably getting paid more... bad move

Advertisement