Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Sin City wrote: »
    Doesn't matter that's the beauty of football. The games aren't played on paper. Anything can happen on the night. Not saying well beat Germany but I hope to give them a game. As for Poland they were lucky to escape Dublin with a point

Delighted. We've beaten a higher ranked team

COYBIG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

The comments on the de bild website are not so nice about some of the German players like Reus, OziL, Hummels, Schurrle, Gundogan :D its great reading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

We must be in a good position to qualify automatically as the best placed third team, anyone know any details on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,585 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Blow out tonight. Beat Poland on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Salmon wrote: »
    We must be in a good position to qualify automatically as the best placed third team, anyone know any details on this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:UEFA_Euro_2016_qualification_(3rd_place)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Just checked the tables there, if Ukraine and Hungary lose we are the best placed third team? Is that right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

After that euphoria. I forgot about the e1750 I will win if we qualify. F**k the money v us qualifying though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

At least now we can stop talking about not beating a higher seeded nation than us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,824 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Just checked the tables there, if Ukraine and Hungary lose we are the best placed third team? Is that right?

Nope. You deduct the points gotten from the bottom team in your group.

We can either qualify by coming 1st or 2nd in our group, or via the playoffs. It's impossible for us to be the best of the 3rds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Hungary have 15pts by that table and we have 12pts. So by that we can't be best placed 3rd...13 pts if we draw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Why are the majority of comments about being highest ranked 3rd placed team!? We just beat the world champions!! What a night! We held on in the first half but to be fair we played well second half. I felt we played well throughout when we got the ball to feet in the German half, hopefully we can do something similar against Poland. Well done Shane Long, huge goal against Poland and even bigger one tonight. Brilliant!

Why are the majority of comments about being highest ranked 3rd placed team!? We just beat the world champions!!

Because we are third in our group and some people thought we could qualify via the best 3rd place. We can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Nalz wrote: »
    Because we are third in our group and some people thought we could qualify via the best 3rd place. We can't.

I was just amazed clicking in here after midnight and seeing there had been about 8 comments since full time, half of which were about best third placed team. We best the best team in the world! Where's the outrageous calls of 'I reckoned it would happen' and the 'Shane Long should have started' comments??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

I gonna assume(sorry) we get a playoff.... whos our best chance against. Hopefully not Sweeden or Croatia.
    Id hope for Israel or Slovenia.

Assuming we dont beat Poland or draw 2-2/3-3 etc

Was looking up the team that played in the 1-6 defeat.

Keith Fahey, Darren O Dear and Cox started

Andy Keogh came on and scored. He now plays in the Thailand league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

I wasn't able to watch the game due to the time difference: why was Given substituted? From all accounts Randalf was great. Will Given be back for the Poland game or the playoffs? Hoping not. Also, when are the playoffs due to be played?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Problem with his knee it looked like but I dont know the details.

Randalph made a few saves but nothing wild went his way. Expected saves tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

ardinn wrote: »
    Problem with his knee it looked like but I dont know the details.

Randalph made a few saves but nothing wild went his way. Expected saves tbf.

And an assist ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Lads, fantastic performance delighted with the players...... you'd imagine that Shane Long will be starting Sunday? I honestly can't believe he didn't start last night, I mean Daryl Murphy yeah he's a good Championship player, but the amount of times Hummels and Boateng walked the ball out of defense, we were lucky that it was 0-0 by the time Long arrived. And this is the 3rd game he's after getting us a result, Scotland and Poland at home too....I don't know what he did wrong to O'Neill but I find it baffling how he's behind Robbie, Walters and Murphy....I'm saying it with 3 months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Lads, fantastic performance delighted with the players...... you'd imagine that Shane Long will be starting Sunday? I honestly can't believe he didn't start last night, I mean Daryl Murphy yeah he's a good Championship player, but the amount of times Hummels and Boateng walked the ball out of defense, we were lucky that it was 0-0 by the time Long arrived. And this is the 3rd game he's after getting us a result, Scotland and Poland at home too....I don't know what he did wrong to O'Neill but I find it baffling how he's behind Robbie, Walters and Murphy....I'm saying it with 3 months

I agree - O'Neill was extremely lucky last night with regards to his (non) selection of Long.

Then again what is the saying about wanting a lucky General to go into battle with? So overall benefit of the doubt to O'Neill and fantastic result overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

What a result, victory over the world champions. It really takes the pressure off the team too. We can go for it now vs Poland without worrying about the Scots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Training cancelled today, surely they weren't not on the lash!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,410 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Training cancelled today, surely they weren't not on the lash!?

No but they did put in a massive effort physically so a rest day or a light work day may be a good idea.

Remember this from 91

Be nice to pay them back on Sunday :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,101 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Unreal stuff last night, atmosphere was like nothing I witnessed before. I thought long should have started but it's great to have him come off the bench late in the game, he's an impact player. Hope that's the last we see of Shay, great servant over the years but it's time to move on. Walters was fantastic and but Mccarthy was my man of the match, best we've seen from him in a Irish jersey. COYBIG

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,710 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Great result, best atmosphere of an Irish soccer game I was at. Long has to start Sunday, Murphy looked so slow and laboured. Cyrus was great along with McCarthy, Hendrick and Wes in midfield. What a night!

Remember this from 91

Be nice to pay them back on Sunday :)
    Finished 3-3 didn't it ?

So even that will do nicely on Sunday

Finished 3-3 didn't it ?

So even that will do nicely on Sunday

Ya,we were up 3-1 and drew level late in the game,il take that Sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I gonna assume(sorry) we get a playoff.... whos our best chance against. Hopefully not Sweeden or Croatia.
    Id hope for Israel or Slovenia.

Assuming we dont beat Poland or draw 2-2/3-3 etc

We're gonna be seeded. So Turkey, Israel, Slovenia etc by the looks of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

dixiefly wrote: »
    I agree - O'Neill was extremely lucky last night with regards to his (non) selection of Long.

Then again what is the saying about wanting a lucky General to go into battle with? So overall benefit of the doubt to O'Neill and fantastic result overall.

Disagree , Long has speed... the type of speed you want to come off the bench and get on the shoulder of a tiring and already slow Hummels...to you know...maybe nick a goal on the break?

• Advertisement

Irishcrx wrote: »
    Disagree , Long has speed... the type of speed you want to come off the bench and get on the shoulder of a tiring and already slow Hummels...to you know...maybe nick a goal on the break?

Don't agree with this type of thinking in the slightest. Hummels is hardly known for his lack of fitness and fading out of games. If Longs pace can cause a problem for 20 mins, then it can cause a greater problem for 90. Hes probably in the top 3 players we have in the squad and should be a regular starter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Don't agree with this type of thinking in the slightest. Hummels is hardly known for his lack of fitness and fading out of games. If Longs pace can cause a problem for 20 mins, then it can cause a greater problem for 90. Hes probably in the top 3 players we have in the squad and should be a regular starter

But it won't be as effective , Long will tire as well. Coming off the bench he has that advantage for 15-20 minutes of being fresh.

Look , I think in most games he should start but in certain games you have to make tactical decisions. Also the longer the game went on , Germany began pressing higher which leaves more space in behind , this is exactly how we scored so on this occasion the arguement is void, it worked and we won and that's all that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,585 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

No. I'm a big supporter of MON and always believed he will get us there in the end. But like any manager he does get things wrong some times. That goal and the way it came was by accident not by design. Murphy probably would've missed that chance if he was on the end of it.

Picking Murphy over Long made no sense and he did get lucky that Long was on the end of that chance and not Murphy. Shane Long should be starting up front for Ireland, I don't get the reluctance from MON to start him in Ireland games, maybe that will change now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Unreal stuff last night, atmosphere was like nothing I witnessed before. I thought long should have started but it's great to have him come off the bench late in the game, he's an impact player. Hope that's the last we see of Shay, great servant over the years but it's time to move on. Walters was fantastic and but Mccarthy was my man of the match, best we've seen from him in a Irish jersey. COYBIG

Have to agree about Walters. He drove Hummels mad.
    The guy never stops and is a true pro as very evident at his club.

Cyrus Christie played well for the amount of experience he has had and got stuck in.
    Keogh was a bit nervy early on and was just hoofing the ball away, but seemed to settle down a bit and made some vital interceptions.
    O'Shea looked assured and not like a Sunderland player thanfully.
    Holohan played well and played better than some of opposites numbers with the big reputations.
    Saying that his back heel could have cost us, you shouldn't do that in your own box.
    Brady was second to Holohan when it came to keeping the ball.
    I would have given Ward a lot of stick over the years, but he did damm well and especially since he hasn't had game time in a long time.
    This was probably McCathy's best display in an Irish shirt.
    Long did what he does best and blew the defenders away with his speed onto the ball and his shot was world class to beat one of the best keepers in the world.
    Speaking of keepers fair dues to Randolph.
    I do feel sorry for Forde though.

The Germans looked like a shadow of the team that won the WC, but there are still a team full of players from some of the biggest clubs in Europe.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭bren2001

TheCitizen wrote: »
    No. I'm a big supporter of MON and always believed he will get us there in the end. But like any manager he does get things wrong some times. That goal and the way it came was by accident not by design. Murphy probably would've missed that chance if he was on the end of it.

Picking Murphy over Long made no sense and he did get lucky that Long was on the end of that chance and not Murphy. Shane Long should be starting up front for Ireland, I don't get the reluctance from MON to start him in Ireland games, maybe that will change now.

Murphy would not have created that chance to score. He didn't have the pace to get away from the back 4 (regardless if he started or came off the bench). Long however had fresh legs and is quite pacey. I dunno if he would have had the legs to run that after 70 minutes on the pitch.

Picking Murphy made sense if it meant springing Long off the bench in the manner they did. If anything, this means Long is less likely to start under MoN as he is clearly a very useful impact sub.

But it won't be as effective , Long will tire as well. Coming off the bench he has that advantage for 15-20 minutes of being fresh.

Look , I think in most games he should start but in certain games you have to make tactical decisions. Also the longer the game went on , Germany began pressing higher which leaves more space in behind , this is exactly how we scored so on this occasion the arguement is void, it worked and we won and that's all that matters.

Why is the argument void? For instance when the same happened vs Scotland and we could only draw, does that make the other side right? Murphys a good player but its hard to say hes more effective than Long. Just because it happened to work last night doesnt make it right. Few if any top managers in history have ever kept their top players on the bench regularly to play the role of impact subs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

if we ever doubted what the number 1 team in the country was, that was answered last night.

the country is bouncing today, some buzz around the place. no other team can lift the nation like the soccer team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

It's a real shame that Poland got a late equaliser. Going there needing just a draw to qualify would have been great. As it stands I see us ending up in a playoff with a 50-50* chance of qualifying.

*The chances of drawing a team better than us IMO.

Big fan of long but he's the ideal sub, pace, energy, Murphy is not an impact player therefore if he doesn't start then he's redundant. It's a tricky one for O'Neill, Murphy isn't good enough imo, pity we don't have two Johnny Walters

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

How is it an impact substitution though? How exactly were the German centre backs tired? From straining their vision watching the ball around the Irish box all night? Or running up and down for all those corners?

Yes Long may have been too tired to do that in the 70th minute if he started. But if he started maybe that ball is on after 20 and for me he'd still have the beating of them..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

if we ever doubted what the number 1 team in the country was, that was answered last night.

the country is bouncing today, some buzz around the place. no other team can lift the nation like the soccer team.

The rugger buggers will have to win the world cup to beat that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

It's a real shame that Poland got a late equaliser. Going there needing just a draw to qualify would have been great. As it stands I see us ending up in a playoff with a 50-50* chance of qualifying.

*The chances of drawing a team better than us IMO.

I'm not sure about this. Us only requiring a draw would have worried me and the potential approach we would have taken.

Sunday will make for a great match. We genuinely can just go for it, we nothing to lose. If we get to the magical 2 goal mark, they will have to beat us regardless. I'm liking that.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭gav86

I think if Ireland beat New Zealand in the same fashion as we beat the world champions last night then the country would be bouncing as well.
    Taking nothing away from the team last night - quality to see both teams doing well.

Your dead right.
    Since the Stan era we have occasionally heard that the rugby team are more popular than the soccer team.

That's BS, last night and more importantly next Sunday will prove that.

The only sport that can ever determine the nation mood is soccer, never rugby.

If the rugby boys beat the world champions in the world cup quarter final it will be similar in fairness.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,898 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

If the rugby boys beat the world champions in the world cup quarter final it will be similar in fairness.

Almost/should of beat them in november 2013 in dublin.

have a bad feeling we will draw with poland 1-1 and get drawn with Holland or Sweden in the playoffs.

Would love to beat Poland (there not that great bar 1 or 2 players and we have a good record against them).

Sunday is going to be a good/bad/ok day for irish sport with 2 important matches (rugby and soccer).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Not really in fairness. The rugby team have a higher standing in a game where there is a lot, lot less better teams ahead of them.

+1

It's a tough one, can't exactly put my finger on it but even when we won the 6 nations the buzz just wasn't the same... it was as if in certain quarters (I stress that as the hardcore ruggerboys will jump at me otherwise) were almost faking their excitement and exaggerated celebrations. Definitely a more relaxed celebratory vibe about it. It was almost as if it wasn't pc or family orientated enough to take your top off and shout things such as "fúck yes Long you fúcking beaut" "get the fúck in" about the rugby players\team.

I'm sure some did, and as much as I don't get the rugby buzz I hope the team does really well. Imagine the buzz if both teams win on Sunday!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,710 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Nalz wrote: »
    +1

It's a tough one, can't exactly put my finger on it but even when we won the 6 nations the buzz just wasn't the same... it was as if in certain quarters (I stress that as the hardcore ruggerboys will jump at me otherwise) were almost faking their excitement and exaggerated celebrations. Definitely a more relaxed celebratory vibe about it. It was almost as if it wasn't pc or family orientated enough to take your top off and shout things such as "fúck yes Long you fúcking beaut" "get the fúck in" about the rugby players\team.

I'm sure some did, and as much as I don't get the rugby buzz I hope the team does really well. Imagine the buzz if both teams win on Sunday!!

Think a big part of it is that most people have played soccer at some level including astro or in school so they can understand it better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

hmmm dunno, while theres i am sure many people who live and breath Rugby like we do with soccer, theres 100s of 1000s of people in ireland with absolutely zero connection to the sport.

Rugby has more fair-weather supporters than any other sport in this country.
    Think a big part of it is that most people have played soccer at some level including astro or in school so they can understand it better

everybody has a local soccer team at some level, kids are playing it all over Ireland. Rugby really is only big in 2 or 3 areas and then the rest of the country join in "supporting" because its popular and the team is winning. alot of people have no interest in the game at all, just support the occasion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement