Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you need a Licence

Options
  • 28-11-2012 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭

to own a bow do you need a licence and clearance from the local police?

Thanks
    Onesimus

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭SunDog

To own a bow, no you do not need a lisence. But common sense and a bit of training will keep you out of any potential trouble or easily avoidable dangerous situations. There are however laws on where and how you can use a bow and how it may be transported etc. My advice would be to contact an archery club and have a chat with them about any questions you may have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

Thanks was in the states recently shooting a compound and thought it was a little too much for a beginner like myself. I'd like to start out small and take the neccessary baby steps. so have contacted the local archery club as you advised to see if it's for me. I'm told by this club though that in the end if I want to join that I have to buy my own bow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭SunDog

Unlike the states hunting is illegal here. Depends on the size of the clubs and funds available but most clubs have beginner gear. You may want to try another club maybe. Generally they'll be recurve bows not compound bows(with the wheels on the end). The reason it is suggested to try the gear before you buy is to know if you'll last in the sport and what kind of equipment suits you is of cost. It's not cheap.

Advertisement