Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

200m swimming test for PADI Open Water course

Options
  • 27-03-2007 6:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm going to be in australia in a few weeks and I've decided to do a 5 day PADI open water dive course on the great barrier reef. I've booked it with a reputable company and done quite a bit of research on dive locations etc. I've been told that there is a test to be allowed do this course where you have to swim 200m.

I'm only an average quality swimmer and I'm a bit worried about this test. I went for some practice at the pool last night; physically I'm in pretty good shape so I didn't really have any problems with muscles or anything however I did find that my breathing technique in the crawl is very bad with the result that I wasn't able to manage 8 lengths non-stop. I reckon should be able to do it backstroke though.

So anyway the point of my question: Has anyone done this test before and could you let me know how strenuous it is and a little more about the conditions: is it in a pool or the sea, wetsuit or no wetsuit, flippers or no flippers ... could you do four lengths and stop for a minute or two to regain your composure and do 4 more lengths?

And also seeing as there is no swimming forum on boards.ie does anyone have tips for improvements to my front crawl (especially breathing) that I can implement in about 4-5 swimming sessions?

Thanks a mill for reading. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭kkontour

Hi M8,
    I did the same thing as you, went with downunder Dive. Was really good.
    The only thing I was worried about was the 200m swim aswell as I just dont have the stamina for any distance swiming.
    I just did the crawl for a bit, breast stroke for a bit, and lay on my back and kicked when I needed a break. You cant stop for a break. No wetsuit or flippers allowed and it was in a pool, about 4m deep. After the 200m swim you have to tread water for 10min.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

Thanks man. I've mine booked with prodive. I guess I'll just have to keep up the practice. A lot of the PADI websites say that you can do 300m with a snorkel instead if you want but not the crowd I've booked with. (I could swim all day with a snorkel cos you can just float if you get tired!!)

What was the treading water like? I've never found that particularly difficult but I don't know if I've done it for 10 minutes before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Absolut

Like Kkontour said, you don't need to stick to front crawl for the whole 200 metres. I used to supervise swim tests at a pool I work at during the summer, and people generally find it easier to stick to breast stroke or backstroke. As far as I can remember it's not timed, so it's best just to take it slowly and not tire yourself out too much. Plus you'll probably find that on the day you just push yourself to make it to the end.

Threading water isn't so bad - when I did my PADI course most of the people ended up practically horizontal, nearly floating on their backs - which makes it an awful lot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Oirthir

Trust me, I've done the PADI Divemaster swim test and made it, so the OW test is grand.

The PADI DM test is -

800m in togs, 400m in snorkel, 100m dragging someone in full SCUBA and finally, 15 minutes tread, with 3 minute using no hands..

Man that was a day of pain.... ;)

Thanks very much for all the help guys. I went to the pool again tonight and did a good few lengths backstroke. I think I'll be grand for the 8 lengths, its a slow auld stroke though so I was kinda clogging up the lane at the pool a bit which meant it was hard to go straight from one length to the next without letting someone pass ... but I'm hoping I'll be ok. I didn't do much about the treading water yet.

I have another question. On one or two sites it says that within 5 minutes of the swim you have to be able to hold your breath under water for 30 seconds. Did you guys do this test????

(Also and further tips on swimming the 200 would be very welcome :) )

Thanks again

• Advertisement

Never had to hold my breath for a swim test and considering that kind of thing can make your lungs explode (well sorta) I don't see why they'd ask you to do it..

As for doing the 200m, I said just swim every chance you get. I'd been diving twice a day, 5-6 days a week for two months when I did my DM test, so that definitely made it easier!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Drift wrote:
    Thanks man. I've mine booked with prodive. I guess I'll just have to keep up the practice. .

I did it with them in Cairns. You'll have a blast. They do take the qualifications seriously but otherwise it's about enjoying yourself.

As others have said, you can take as long as you like, switch between strokes, basicly once you keep moving. I think I was the last of my group to finish this! As for the treading water, the hardest part is the boredom, but we starting telling jokes etc to pass the time.

Mine was done in the Prodive centre in Cairns, which has a shortish pool thats about 4ft deep at the ends, but 12ft in the middle.

Borzoi wrote:
    I did it with them in Cairns. You'll have a blast. They do take the qualifications seriously but otherwise it's about enjoying yourself.

Thats where mine is too, good to hear that its enjoyable :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

There is no time limit on the 200m swim so take your time. Also do any stroke you want as there is no requirement there.

The holding your breath task is crazy as with diving the first thing they should teach you is never hold your breath. Holding your breath while diving can cause you serious injury or death. But this will be covered in the course i'm sure.

Good luck with it, i'm sure you'll have a blast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 crabby

I could be wrong but with the new course outline the option to snorkel rather than swimming seems to be gone.

• Advertisement

Ah :) maybe thats why I couldn't find much mention of it except on the odd website. Won't get a chance to go to the pool now until the weekend but the next time I do I'm going to hop in and after a little warm up go straight for 8 lengths backstroke.

I've never swam breaststroke before but I'm informed thats also a good option for longer distances with novices. ( .... and yes I know 200m isn't long to most)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭scubagit

Oirthir wrote:
    Never had to hold my breath for a swim test and considering that kind of thing can make your lungs explode (well sorta) I don't see why they'd ask you to do it..

Quite simply, they need to know you can perform basic snorkelling techniques before they begin scuba training. These things are usually a pre requisite acceptance test for most diving agencies.

scubagit wrote:
    Quite simply, they need to know you can perform basic snorkelling techniques before they begin scuba training. These things are usually a pre requisite acceptance test for most diving agencies.

Ah, of course. I wasn't thinking of it in terms of snorkelling, I was just picturing the guy sitting at the bottom of the pool holding his breath..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I was in the same boat as you, I was nervous about the 200m swim and the 10 minutes of treading water.

What I found though, was that in a group, it was a lot easier as you don't tend to think about it as much. just do the breast stroke and take your time.

Thanks guys - I've snorkelled lots of times before so I should have no problem knowing "the basic snorkelling techniques".

I was at the pool tuesday again and I did 200m backstroke and followed it by 10 minutes of floating. I didn't have too much difficulty doing either. I'm not haven't ever done much swimming with breast stroke so I think I'll do the test back stroke all the way if I can.

I'm off on Monday and back in a few weeks I'll let you all know how it went then. Any more tips before I head off?

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭nialo

200m swim is not to bad. take your time and change your stroke ever 50m.. vary the pace. slow breast stroke to catch your breath.... time isnt an issue you just have to finish without stopping... dont say how fast you have to go..

With CFT you have to be able to hold you breath for 30 seconds in the pool test. You have to be able to do an assent from 10m without breath.. so when training in the pool they get you to hold your breath. idea is to take a deep breath and slowly let it out.. making it last for 30 seconds... tis important when your at 15 - 20 meters if you have to do an assent without air.

PADI dont bother with it. or at least i never did it with paddy. Im a rescue diver with PADI now and a club diver with CFT. but thats a different story..

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭theliam

at least your in a pool. i was aswell but my brother had to do his in the sea, it seemed an awful lot farther cause it was one straight line but i supose the threading would have been a bit easier with the extra bouyancy from sea water!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Scuba.ie

Drift wrote:

I have another question. On one or two sites it says that within 5 minutes of the swim you have to be able to hold your breath under water for 30 seconds.
    Hi Drift,
    I did the test many years ago (and it is still the same). The swim test is not timed, so you should pace yourself, don't be in a rush to get it done or you will tire out too fast.
    There is no breath hold for the OW course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭Daithio

Can you not do the breast stroke Drift? If you can't you should learn, it's by far the easiest stroke for long distances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 drichard

The DM swim test listed earlier is incorrect :

You need to score a minimum of 12 points from the tests listed below, (and complete each one successfully)

The swim and float/tread water is in costume only (? plus goggles, no mask or fins)
    The snorkel is in snorkel kit - no wet suit
    The tired diver tow is "both in full scuba kit"

I have given the times for the tests in both Yards and Metres.

Swim test
    400 yards
    0 to 05:59, 5 points
    06:00 to 07:59, 4 points
    08:00 to 09:59, 3 points
    10:00 to 11:59, 2 points
    12:00 and above, 1 point

400m
    0 to 06:29, 5 points
    06:30 to 08:39, 4 points
    08:40 to 10:59, 3 points
    11:00 to 12:59, 2 points
    13:00 and above, 1 point

Snorkel
    800 yards
    0 to 12:59, 5 points
    13:00 to 14:59, 4 points
    15:00 to 16:59, 3 points
    17:00 to 18:59, 2 points
    19:00 and above, 1 point

800m
    0 to 13:59, 5 points
    14:00 to 16:29, 4 points
    16:30 to 18:29, 3 points
    18:30 to 20:59, 2 points
    21:00 and above, 1 point

tired diver tow
    100m yards
    0 to 01:59, 5 points
    02:00 to 02:59, 4points
    03:00 to 03:59, 3ints
    04:00 to 04:59, 2 points
    05:00 and above, 1 point

100m
    0 to 02:09, 5 points
    02:10 to 03:14, 4 points
    03:15 to 04:19, 3 points
    04:20 to 05:29, 2 points
    05:30 and above, 1 point

Tread water (or float), 15 mins with hands out of water for the last 2 mins
    Completed ok - 5 pts
    completed but with hands not out of water for full 2 mins - 3pts
    completed but touched bottom or side no more than twice - 1 point

It goes without saying that each test is to be competed without stopping, stopping records as incomplete and the test must be performed again. You can rest between each test. I'm training to get to the required standard, and believe me, its tough. The snorkel is particularly tough because your mouth gets so dry!

Dave

• Advertisement

oirthir wrote:
    The PADI DM test is -

800m in togs, 400m in snorkel, 100m dragging someone in full SCUBA and finally, 15 minutes tread, with 3 minute using no hands..

Sorry, mixed up one or two things, but you get the jist...

Good luck, you'll love doing DM, it's great craic.

Just got back yesterday. Had a fantastic time. I had no problem at all with the swimming test in the end. I was second last to finish because I did it backstroke but I was surprised at how little difficulty I had doing it in the end.

I have to say that Prodive were a fantastic company to do the diving with. They take the certification very seriously as they should but they still have lots of fun and the 3 days I spent on the boat were fantastic. I also did the "Adventure" diver course so now I'm qualified to dive to 30m depth ..... roll on the narcosis ;) . I have some underwater pictures but I haven't uploaded them yet. When I do I'll add one or two to the link in this forum.

Once again. Thanks everybody for the encouragement and for anybody who's considering doing the Open Water course I highly recommend it.

P.S. - Now I'll be looking for advice on how to keep the diving up in Ireland and how to be less of an air pig
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 OzzieDive

Hi I just saw your post now (im kinda new:) ) I dove the GBR last christmas it was just amazing going back in April 08 can't wait :D I had my PADI dive course completed before I went. They are very strict now on dive medicals in Australia. a guy admitted to having a cold a week prior to the dive (he was fine no sniffles or anythin) and they wouldn't let him dive without a doctors cert! makes sence to cover their butts I suppose.

Advertisement