Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

10-02-2019, 21:00   #1
Viscount Aggro

M50 journey times

I find the journey times on the digital displays to be inaccurate.
Anyone notice this?
The times between junctions are based on driving at the maximum permitted speed. A lot of drivers treat this as a target speed, rather than a speed limit.
Advertisement
10-02-2019, 21:08   #2
alias no.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viscount Aggro View Post
Anyone notice this?
The times between junctions are based on driving at the maximum permitted speed. A lot of drivers treat this as a target speed, rather than a speed limit.
The times are based on measured traffic speed using ANPR as far as I know. Traffic conditions are always changing, treat the times as a guide rather than gospel and you'll do alright.
10-02-2019, 21:08   #3
Sleeper12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viscount Aggro
I find the journey times on the digital displays to be inaccurate. Anyone notice this? The times between junctions are based on driving at the maximum permitted speed. A lot of drivers treat this as a target speed, rather than a speed limit.

I don't know for sure but I always assumed that the travel times were based on the maximum speed limit. I follow a TomTom sat nav all day and the travel times seem to be based on the maximum speed limit
10-02-2019, 22:35   #4
Chris_5339762

I've timed them doing exactly the speed limit (calibrated to my handheld GPS as the car overestimates) and they always show a few minutes longer than it actually takes. They are accurate to a point, but if congestion suddenly appears, they can get inaccurate. But it does annoy me when they just say "LONG DELAYS TO M50 J7". Of course there are long delays but please give me an estimate of how long because its on the TII website.
01-03-2019, 17:26   #5
budgemook

Is there any resource online to get m50 journey times? I'm trying to find out how long it takes to get from Blanchardstown junction to M1 junction in the morning rush and back again in the evening. From memory I'm pretty sure south bound is worse in the morning and north bound worse in the evening but would be good to hear opinions on this. Trying to decide if working in the airport would be a good idea or not.
Advertisement
01-03-2019, 17:31   #6
demanufactured

Send a message via Yahoo to demanufactured
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viscount Aggro View Post
Anyone notice this?
Sure if that's the case then you're always early, not sure what your issue is?
01-03-2019, 17:42   #7
L1011

They're based on actual traffic monitored by plate cameras. Most people drive at the speed limit when conditions allow, the "it's not a target" nanny line is pointless.

It'll also fail you your driving test (for failure to make progress) on many routes where there's free flowing 60km/h zones if you are going ~45 and using the "it's not a target!" attitude
(2) thanks from:
01-03-2019, 23:00   #8
Carawaystick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_5339762 View Post
I've timed them doing exactly the speed limit (calibrated to my handheld GPS as the car overestimates) and they always show a few minutes longer than it actually takes.
They will aggregate the traffic, including the traffic which has lower limits ( busses/HGVs)

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion