Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

06-02-2019, 10:43   #46

I don't see much evidence of the quality getting worse. I remember the state of the bus service in Cork in the 1990s and it was absolutely awful. The city / outer suburban busses used to be cast offs from Dublin Bus, often with all of the green branding inside and a Bus Eireann paint job. A lot of them could barely make it up hills, puffed smoke and were in very poor condition generally.

I also remember Bus Éireann running busses to Cork's satellite towns like Carriagline from Parnell Place bus station and having no indication of which bus went where - they didn't have the correct rollers with Cork destinations (possibly still old Dublin Bus rollers) or they didn't bother using them. I didn't even realise that there was a bus number for any of those routes.

It was like something you'd expect to see in pre-EU Eastern Europe.

The state of some of the trains before the last major fleet upgrade was also very patchy. There were modern 1980s intericites, but you could equally pay for a normal ticket and end up on some 1960s/70s bone shaker or even a commuter DMU on Cork-Dublin if you were unlucky. At least nowadays you can be sure of a modern intercity train with fairly reasonable facilities.

I remember when I was maybe 12/13 going on late night trains from Dublin to Cork that were some kind of old BR intercity design and it often had no heat on a winter's night. You'd be sitting there in a coat with steam coming off your breath, desperately trying warm yourself on a cup of tea!

There was no golden age of CIE or Irish public transport. It was always bad. Or, at the very least it was always very patchy and unpredictable. You could get modernity on one bus / train and then something out of a scrap yard on the next one.

Last edited by EdgeCase; 06-02-2019 at 10:49.
Advertisement
06-02-2019, 14:34   #47
Prominent_Dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer78 View Post
It's well known that funding and support for public services has been in decline for decades now, in favour of privatisation, a large proportion of the population would even prefer privatisation of public services
There’s only so much funding and support can do when it comes to a company this bad

Last edited by Prominent_Dawg; 06-02-2019 at 15:01.
Thanks from:
06-02-2019, 18:31   #48
john boye

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgeCase View Post
I don't see much evidence of the quality getting worse. I remember the state of the bus service in Cork in the 1990s and it was absolutely awful. The city / outer suburban busses used to be cast offs from Dublin Bus, often with all of the green branding inside and a Bus Eireann paint job. A lot of them could barely make it up hills, puffed smoke and were in very poor condition generally.
I think you're thinking of Cork vehicles themselves when they were painted from green into BE livery. The Bombardiers and GACs down there wore green just like the Dublin ones until BE was formed. Very few DB/DCS vehicles moved to Cork. I do remember though a lot of ex-Cork buses coming to Dublin live out the rest of their days and they were absolutely clapped out.
Thanks from:
06-02-2019, 19:24   #49
Prominent_Dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage_Henry View Post
How about a situation, where their main bus broke down?
"We can use the old bus just to get people home"
"No! People will complain. Let them sit and wait till the main bus is fixed"
Or in be case let them sit and wait.. then sent a piece of ****
06-02-2019, 20:14   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by john boye View Post
I think you're thinking of Cork vehicles themselves when they were painted from green into BE livery. The Bombardiers and GACs down there wore green just like the Dublin ones until BE was formed. Very few DB/DCS vehicles moved to Cork. I do remember though a lot of ex-Cork buses coming to Dublin live out the rest of their days and they were absolutely clapped out.
Nope, they were fully branded as Dublin Bus inside, complete with logos in various parts of the interior. They were absolutely definitely ex-Dublin bus.
Advertisement
06-02-2019, 20:33   #51
john boye

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgeCase View Post
Nope, they were fully branded as Dublin Bus inside, complete with logos in various parts of the interior. They were absolutely definitely ex-Dublin bus.
Actually I was thinking more in the past but just remembered that the VAs went to Cork in the mid 2000s. They most certainly weren't in green though.
06-02-2019, 22:32   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by john boye View Post
Actually I was thinking more in the past but just remembered that the VAs went to Cork in the mid 2000s. They most certainly weren't in green though.
There were Dublin Bus logos inside anyway that's all I know.

I have no idea what model they were other than they were old and clapped out.

It may have been the blue/green whatever colour seats they had but I distinctly remember being rather annoyed that it was a clapped out Dublin Bus.

I also remember the way they didn't have digital ticket machines so you got a perfectly square bit of paper, often with nothing printed on it.
07-02-2019, 18:20   #53
PreCocious

Aircoach pull that stunt as well. Running a second non-branded bus and putting the booked fares on that.

The last time I travelled with them from Dublin Airport it was an older, toilet-less bus that stank of stale cooking oil.

I emailed them to complain and, unsurprisingly, I didn't receive a reply.
Thanks from:
07-02-2019, 22:20   #54
Prominent_Dawg

On the airport bus again, this time it’s an express bus, the ticket machine is down so the drivers not charging anyone for the journey, then people blame the poor service on funding and support, dear god what a shambles be
Advertisement
07-02-2019, 22:37   #55
Curb Your Enthusiasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prominent_Dawg View Post
On the airport bus again, this time it’s an express bus, the ticket machine is down so the drivers not charging anyone for the journey, then people blame the poor service on funding and support, dear god what a shambles be
Ticket machine often broken on other city buses too. As good as a 'free' bus journey is, you have to wonder how much they're losing in the process.
08-02-2019, 05:32   #56
punisher5112

Be used a lot of ex daf single deckers from db years back remember them in broadstone after they were returned from country work.

Double deckers were also used.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion