Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A plague of beige slugs..

Options
  • 11-10-2020 7:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭

In the middle of the dark night I opened the door to let a cat in or out to find the wide concrete path literally heaving with large beige slugs...

Dozens and dozens of them. All slimy and revolting..

They had gone a few hours later.

I have never seen the like.

Tonight there will be traps set. Shudders.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Valresnick

Traps set for slugs ? Just leave them be if they’re doing no harm, they’re hardly going to swarm your cat now are they !

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

This is a serious nature question about an unusual phenomenon. I did and do hope for a more …. serious.. and relevantly interesting response here among real nature lovers and experts.

I still do hope for that, as this is a nature phenomenon . There were hordes of them.

To expand. I do still have vegetables cropping along that path.

Interestingly I have had little trouble with slugs this year at all.

I have never seen this colour of slug in my decades of living in Ireland. and in other damp climates, where slugs abound and do a huge amount of serious damage to crops and gardens.

This is why I chose to post here in " nature" rather than "gardening", Because of the impressive interest and expertise we have here.

And I loved the posts re hedgehogs eating slugs..

There must be some reason for this sheer unusual number. All along the wide path by the door. And yes they are good at creeping under doors and do a lot of damage in houses.

And of course traps mean they can be relocated. Oh you did not think I meant!!! OH NO! :eek::eek::eek: HORRORS!

There is a lovely ditch and stream across the lane. And I have been relocating slugs and snails from my vegetables and flowers all summer long. The snail shells are so beautiful; no two alike.

Is it also late in the year for them still to be around?. Although we have even out here had no real frost yet.

Do they migrate? Hibernate? There are online groups etc for bees and butterflies and dragonflies but most of the articles on slugs are about getting rid as they do a huge amount of harm and destruction.

Not observing and learning about them. Fascinating to learn about these ancient creatures.

So traps it is. And no more bare feet.. :eek:

Any sensible input greatly valued and appreciated. Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

I've noticed pale beige slugs around here (east coast) lately. Don't remember seeing them that colour before, and we usually get a lot of slugs on our deck at night.

Before that, I noticed slugs that were a dark moss green. Hadn't seen that colour before either. I had assumed it was due to what they were eating.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

They're just Grey Field Slugs (I know the name is misleading). The most numerous slug in the country. The optimum activity for them occurs in damp conditions and temp around 10C. This was a good breeding year for them and there are lots about.

As for using traps and then relocating. Really? A trap that keeps them alive won't attract them and they'll be back for the goodies anyway.

Is there anything that might account for colour variation?

• Advertisement

Well, mission accomplished. I lost count at around 341... It was cold out there.

A good job well done and left abundant food for them.

And no returnees so far ; they will have a long crawl where I took them! Far better than being walked on where they were, and we have abundant great slug territory out here.

Still cannot find the answers to my questions though ,

NB Jim_ Hodge; your messages come up blank.

I've noticed pale beige slugs around here (east coast) lately. Don't remember seeing them that colour before, and we usually get a lot of slugs on our deck at night.

Before that, I noticed slugs that were a dark moss green. Hadn't seen that colour before either. I had assumed it was due to what they were eating.

Interesting idea. Thank you

They were not safe out in the open as we have magpies here now. Easy pickings.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I don't know about slugs but I know that snails turn the colour of what they are predominantly eating. I would assume therefore that slugs are the same. So it might not be a breed thing but a diet thing. Just guessing though.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Interesting idea. Thank you

They were not safe out in the open as we have magpies here now. Easy pickings.

Jaysus, that's ultra-Buddhist levels of animal welfare, safely relocating 341 slugs!

Jaysus, that's ultra-Buddhist levels of animal welfare, safely relocating 341 slugs!

lol.. It was that where they were, ie on the doorstep and on the path beyond that , there was no way to avoid treading on them.

I had never before seen such a gathering of slugs; and they fulfil such a useful purpose.

• Advertisement
Advertisement