Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Days Gone

Options

Comments

I'll wait, one redditor and an Xbox fan on Twitter isn't enough to spin a negative on the whole game

Plenty of positive previews and we will see what the situation is when the reviews come out

This type of stuff tends to come up whenever Sony release a AAA exclusive

We all remember how #puddlegate played out :P

• Registered Users Posts: 33,256 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'll wait, one redditor and an Xbox fan on Twitter isn't enough to spin a negative on the whole game

Plenty of positive previews and we will see what the situation is when the reviews come out

Yeah I've seen some clips of one or two bugs in the game, but as mentioned previously there's already a pretty big day one patch coming and most won't encounter any serious bugs anyway. None of them are gamebreaking or that troublesome (biggest one I saw was just a horde coming out of a cave fell through the map instead. Would be disappointing but not gamebreaking at least).

For example I went back to play Assassins Creed Odyssey a bit over the weekend to take advantage of a levelling exploit and was stunned that it's still suffering from a slowdown/stuttering/gamebreaking issue when taking down forts. It's a serious, common issue that's been there since launch and is still happening it seems. At least no reports of similar happening in Days Gone so far anyway, so I don't think there's any cause to be concerned about bugs at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Looking at the Days gone sub-reddit it seems a bit of panic is setting in. Its like people are trying to will it into being an awesome game but its unlikely to happen. At least not at launch.

The expectations are way too high imo, this isn't the last of us. In truth I think its a stretch calling it an AAA game. The studio that made it have done pretty underwhelming work in the past.

I think the reviewers will do their best to show its positive points but it will be a very underwhelming affair with the game dropping quickly off the shelves.

Looking at the Days gone sub-reddit it seems a bit of panic is setting in. Its like people are trying to will it into being an awesome game but its unlikely to happen. At least not a launch.

The expectations are way too high imo, this isn't the last of us. In truth I think its a stretch calling it an AAA game. The studio that make it have done pretty underwhelming work in the past.

I think the reviewers will do their best to show its positive points but it will be a very underwhelming affair with the game dropping quickly off the shelves.

Looking at the Days Gone sub-reddit I see nothing like what you describe. I even searched by Controversial and most of the threads were just people asking questions about the game. You say there's panic setting in and people are trying to will it to be an awesome game, but it very much seems like you're ascribing your own feelings to their posts.

Your own opinions aside, it's a new IP so people are always going to be somewhat hesitant. I am myself, and I'm not expecting this to be game of the year material or anything of the sort. I think it'll be a fun game to play, hopefully with a decent story. I think it's the same for most people, as it should be with a new IP. Ultimately, we can't properly judge it until it's out and we've played it, but there's nothing in the reviews, discussion boards like Reddit or gameplay videos so far that align with what you're claiming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I would've thought that the expectations for this were pretty tempered, if not outright negative, for the last couple of years with a slight increase in optimism over the last couple of weeks based on good impressions from the previews given to journalists. It was definitely the runt of the litter in terms of PS exclusives for the longest tlme.

Like I've said elsewhere, I've got it very cheap so if it's poo, I won't be to upset. I'll just pick up Spiderman instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Syphon Filter underwhelming?? :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,829 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Zero-Cool wrote: »

Yeah, over rated as well and the Vita Uncharted game was kind of dull in retrospect. Still with the colossal ramping up the team went for this game they are a very different team than when they were making portable games.

I'll wait and see what the reviews say about how it plays but story I feel is shaping up to be poor with some bad writing so far and the story seems to be focusing on the origins or the world, which is always the least interesting aspect of post apocalyptic stories.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Yeah, over rated as well and the Vita Uncharted game was kind of dull in retrospect. Still with the colossal ramping up the team went for this game they are a very different team than when they were making portable games.

I'll wait and see what the reviews say about how it plays but story I feel is shaping up to be poor with some bad writing so far and the story seems to be focusing on the origins or the world, which is always the least interesting aspect of post apocalyptic stories.

Ah here, I absolutely loved Syphon Filter and anyone I talked to back then who played it back then loved it as well, thought that was the general consensus. Never played the Vita.

And as for opinions, my favourite part of apocalypse stories are the origins. Watching Black Summer at the moment and I love the setting of everyone in pure panic not knowing what's going on and just relying on adrenaline to survive making split life & death decisions because they don't know any better.

I mean, we can all agree Deacon St. John is a terrible name but I some some people who played it this week say they really enjoyed the story/writing.

Biggest complaints I've seen so far is the torch that doesn't seem connected to Deacon and the fetch quests in between the good story missions that can slow it down a bit. 1 guy who got 100% in it said he really enjoyed it, spent 30 hours on the story, 20 hours on side stuff.

It sounds like a generated narrative now as I said it happens when certain brand loyal fans look to pick holes

Not one person I suspects thinks this is the TLOU quality

I also see no panic on the reddit feed, that's just comedy gold :)

2007 and prior. I think underwhelming is a fair assessment of their capabilities.

Also this is an open world game, so apples and oranges.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,829 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ah here, I absolutely loved Syphon Filter and anyone I talked to back then who played it back then loved it as well, thought that was the general consensus. Never played the Vita.

Reviewed in the 70-80's. It was alright for it's time but I always felt the auto aiming combat was awful. Felt like they just took the least interesting part of Tomb Raider and left out the exploration and level design. They reviewed progressively worse and it's dated really badly now. PSP game was alright but nothing spectacular as was the Resistance game.
    And as for opinions, my favourite part of apocalypse stories are the origins. Watching Black Summer at the moment and I love the setting of everyone in pure panic not knowing what's going on and just relying on adrenaline to survive making split life & death decisions because they don't know any better.

What you are describing is the good stuff I like. How people and characters react and survive in these situations and how it affects society. TLOU had some (extremely bad) scientific explanation behind it's outbreak but it worked as it was a vehicle for a character study.

What I've read about this is you travel around and pick up notes from your researcher wife about a big bad company/government conspiracy which is just boring.

2007 and prior. I think underwhelming is a fair assessment of their capabilities.

Also this is an open world game, so apples and oranges.

I think most, if not all would have said similar about Guerrilla games, given that pretty much all they'd done was Killzone games. Then they made Horizon Zero Dawn, one of the best games this gen and completely different to anything they'd made before.

I think given that they're making a type of game they've never made before (like Guerrilla did), and given the amount of resource and information sharing that goes on between Sony first party studios, I'd be hesitant to hold Bend Studios previous games against them.

Bend said in a recent interview they well know they are the underdog and no one expects them to deliver on this by looking on their previous games.

No idea how the story unfolds but I'm hoping with 6 hours of cutscenes, it's more than just finding a few research notes.

They made Bubsy 3D as well :D But that's getting silly.

Penn wrote: »
    I think most, if not all would have said similar about Guerrilla games, given that pretty much all they'd done was Killzone games. Then they made Horizon Zero Dawn, one of the best games this gen and completely different to anything they'd made before.

While I find Horizon waaaaaaaaay over rated it's still a fine game and was far better than I expected from Guerilla.

Bend said in a recent interview they well know they are the underdog and no one expects them to deliver on this by looking on their previous games.

No idea how the story unfolds but I'm hoping with 6 hours of cutscenes, it's more than just finding a few research notes.

New studios taking risks
    Sony take risks, Nintendo take risks.
    They create new IPs, and have faith in the people developing them
    Important for all gamers
    Something Microsoft could learn from

Awesome trailer all about Deacons bike showing off getting around, customisations and how rain = mud = slippy = crashy = looking for scraps on foot to repair your bike. I like how they said there is a damage/fuel management system but it's not so heavy handed that it becomes an annoyance (hopefully).

• Registered Users Posts: 27,824 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Watched a little bit of a freeroam earlier. Game looks good but the aiming looks off, maybe it's because the speed the freakers move at but the guy playing seemed to struggle to hit them. That could get very frustrating very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I've seen a few comments that the gunplay is off, from some time ago mind. I imagine something as fundamental as that is tough to fix.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I've seen a few comments that the gunplay is off, from some time ago mind. I imagine something as fundamental as that is tough to fix.

I'd say it's down to the speed of the freakers. They seem to move direction very quickly so it's hard to adjust your aim to match their movement.

• Advertisement

It occurs to me I'll be doing a lot more running away than shooting early on. I heard once you level up the hordes are easier to deal with.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I'd say it's down to the speed of the freakers. They seem to move direction very quickly so it's hard to adjust your aim to match their movement.

That was the same complaint I remember when TLOU first came out until people copped you could improve your accuracy.

I'd be treating it as survival horror in certain aspects so I'm totally fine with adding that type of tension until you level up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Benzino

New studios taking risks
    Sony take risks, Nintendo take risks.
    They create new IPs, and have faith in the people developing them
    Important for all gamers
    Something Microsoft could learn from

Couldn't agree more. I always recall people at the end of previous E3's complaining about all the sequels, but then when you have a new IP coming out, people are trying to bash it before it's even released.

I'm looking forward to this one, I'm not expecting the greatest thing ever, more of a 70-80% rated game, looks like there is a lot of fun to be had with this game.

Benzino wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more. I always recall people at the end of previous E3's complaining about all the sequels, but then when you have a new IP coming out, people are trying to bash it before it's even released.

I'm looking forward to this one, I'm not expecting the greatest thing ever, more of a 70-80% rated game, looks like there is a lot of fun to be had with this game.

I'm not bashing it if that's what it seemed like. I got my PS4 off the back of the original Days Gone E3 trailer because I loved the look of it. Unfortunately it was delayed and I sold my PS4 in the meantime after building a PC, but I'll be borrowing my brothers to give it a blast.

Just read and saw a clip of Deacon leaving his bike on the side of the road and taking one of the marauders bikers to escape. Good that you can drive other bikes if in need.

One thing I don't like the look of is the xp numbers that jump out of the enemy as you hit them but luckily, you can remove that in the interface menu.

Are you constantly having to stop to scavenge for parts and fuel to repair the bike?

I've heard the bike runs out of fuel. It sounds like an interesting mechanic that will quickly become very annoying.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Are you constantly having to stop to scavenge for parts and fuel to repair the bike?

From feedback, apparently it's a nice mix where the parts are collected naturally as you visit places so you're not constantly looking for them bar the odd bit where you have a bad crash or bandits mess with your bike when you leave it alone that you might have to go scrounging specifically for parts. As for fuel, I read you will have problems getting from one end of the map to the other on one tank but plenty of top ups along the way. Freewheel down hills to save fuel.

You can upgrade to have better protection on your bike (less repairs needed) and increase tank size (less trips for fuel).

If you do run out or break down, you can stay on your bike and push with your legs to the nearest town :)

• Advertisement

That was the same complaint I remember when TLOU first came out until people copped you could improve your accuracy.

I'd be treating it as survival horror in certain aspects so I'm totally fine with adding that type of tension until you level up.

Thats kind of what I meant yesterday about the Days gone sub-reddit. Its full of posts highlighting issues but then giving it a pass based on what "might" be....
    Wishful thinking.

I'd recommend caution on this one. Given its the only "big" game PlayStation has for 2019 I'd say give it time to fixed and tweaked before playing it.

Advertisement