Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deleted posts in CA

Options
  • 22-02-2021 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭

I notice that sometimes posts are deleted in the CA forum by the mods.

It would be nice for the mods to let us know that
    "Posts have been deleted or cleaned up for X,Y,Z reason"

Doing ninja deletions leaves confusion as to disappeared posts, but a note would make it more clear to all what happened.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Manaal khan, you do not have enough privileges to post in Feedback yet. You can do so when you have 100 posts, are on the site 3 months and have some feedback to contribute. I've deleted your posts, do not post in this thread again.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Markodaly, seeing as this is a forum specific query, I'll move it to Help Desk.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,485 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

We're not going to say anything if it's a re-reg troll and replies thereto. We are not going to allow them any attention

We often delete reported posts that may have been made several hours earlier. A thread could have moved on several pages, and there may be little achieved in highlighting something that has moved on

In one particular recent thread around 10% of all posts were deleted (some 800). We may be too busy doing the actual deleting to post explanations. In that particular case there would have been some earlier comment warning that subsequent posts of a certain nature would be deleted but then we would have just got on with it

If you want an explanation of why one or or some of your own posts have been deleted drop a mod a PM

• Registered Users Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

I get it for a re-reg troll, not worth pointing that stuff out.
    I think my main point is that if a debate or conversation is in midflow and suddenly posts disappear without warning, it can be both confusing and disruptive.

Even a quick *Posts Deleted* By a mod would be very helpful here?

Actually, that brings me to another point. I noticed sometimes that reported posts are deleted. Are they actioned when they are deleted or just deleted? I guess it depends.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

This is one of the instances where fuzzy rules are a feature, not a bug, and it really depends on the situation.

A couple of things though:
    • Posts are not often arbitrarily deleted without explanation - when I delete posts for going off on odd tangents, or degenerating into pages of sniping, there's usually a mod warning to that effect and an addendum to post on topic or else. I know that other mods do the same.

• When posts do get deleted without explanation, it's usually because they are too *dumb* to action or call out in the thread - either a link dump of epic proportions, or someone having a "hurrrr" moment and posting something inappropriate. Actionable posts are usually left in place with the action visible to all, unless the content is particularly offensive.

• At the end of the day, the purpose of the forum (and the goal of the mods who moderate it) is to keep discussion flowing. That requires mods to use their discretion on this. One thing I can assure you of is that two pages of
      "Posts have been deleted for X,Y,Z reason"

...would do far more to kill a thread than to provide any sort of clarity.

markodaly wrote: »
    Actually, that brings me to another point. I noticed sometimes that reported posts are deleted. Are they actioned when they are deleted or just deleted? I guess it depends.

As you said, it depends. Poster posting pointless memes, or drunk-posting - post deleted. Poster posting something offensive - actioned and deleted. There are many permutations of this, depending on the situation.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement