Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

People glued to their phones

Options
13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

mrcheez wrote: »
    To be honest you posted this in After Hours where the majority readership are around 25-ish?

This is the way it is for that generation not like us old farts ;)

I know, I should have expected this outcome :o

• Registered Users Posts: 28,664 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

To be honest you posted this in After Hours where the majority readership are around 25-ish?

Whatever about social settings, it's becoming more prevalent in work environments too where IM and email have taken over in some places.

Like my place.. about 90% of communications are via these 2 mediums and I (as an old fart who remembers when anyone with a mobile was considered a posh w@nker/yuppie etc) find it incredibly annoying at times.

Example: I manage a team which has been testing and implementing an application upgrade over the last fortnight. The amount of times I've had to say "don't wait for email responses - get them on a call" in order to move things along is ridiculous.

Technology is great, but you can't beat a proper face to face meeting (or failing that a phone call!) in many cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

A phone addict here, if left to my own devices I spend most of my time on it or my laptop. I don't have a problem if I'm with friends and they want to check a message or reply to one or whatever. I used to be terrible for messaging with other friends there with me but now I try to put my phone away and just check for messages every once in a while, I make a conscious effort not to use it because I do think it's rude to be using your phone non-stop while in company. I wouldn't be too impressed if I was with a friend and they were browsing facebook while I just sat there, if we were watching a film or something then I wouldn't mind. Despise talking to people on the phone though, hate it when someone suggests that I ring someone in work, will always try to use e-mail if I can, face to face is worse. Message me if you want to speak to me, it gives me time to formulate a response and not get caught off guard with an unwelcome request/invite etc.

If we're talking about strangers then I don't care what they do, I usually have my head buried in a phone or a book when I'm out on my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

The current generation seem to be brainwashed

I'm 46. And yeah I think the irony went straight over yer noggin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

I'd be hugely surprised if AH or boards generally has a majority of users in that age bracket. Forums are web 1.0, old school social networking. Boards might be one of the last surviving examples that isn't essentially abandoned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I think it's a bit of social awkwardness that makes people stare into their phones. I'm frequently the only one not glued to a phone in various situations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

People won't be glued to their phones in a few years time at all

Their phones will be glued to them (via VR headsets), with only the occasional AR flip-switch briefly used when crossing-roads

Screen_Shot_2017-07-10_at_15.06.30.png

• Registered Users Posts: 30,185 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I often find the main reason why people end up on a phone on a night out is because the company their with is boring and they need a bit of entertainment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Whatever about social settings, it's becoming more prevalent in work environments too where IM and email have taken over in some places.

Like my place.. about 90% of communications are via these 2 mediums and I (as an old fart who remembers when anyone with a mobile was considered a posh w@nker/yuppie etc) find it incredibly annoying at times.

Example: I manage a team which has been testing and implementing an application upgrade over the last fortnight. The amount of times I've had to say "don't wait for email responses - get them on a call" in order to move things along is ridiculous.

Technology is great, but you can't beat a proper face to face meeting (or failing that a phone call!) in many cases.

Get them on slack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

I'd be hugely surprised if AH or boards generally has a majority of users in that age bracket. Forums are web 1.0, old school social networking. Boards might be one of the last surviving examples that isn't essentially abandoned.

35 I'd guess.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

What's with people today ? Constantly checking facebook and other social networks in social settings. Why aren't people talking face to face anymore ? :confused:

I'd rather idle away time on social media than talk to some of the fúcking weirdos on the luas red line tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

They should stay at home then, and stare at it till their hearts content. Why even bothering going out ?

To get to work?:confused:

Advertisement