Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People glued to their phones

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

I rarely bring my phone if I'm having a night out and in fairness when I'm out, I haven't really noticed that many people glued to their phone.

I do have one group of friends who do this sort of picture time thing every time they go out which I find a bit annoying but it's only a small part of the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,637 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

What's with people today ? Constantly checking facebook and other social networks in social settings. Why aren't people talking face to face anymore ? :confused:

Noticed this while backpacking around Indonesia recently. In the past anyone travelling alone would normally strike up conversations with others while sitting idly in a bar/restaurant.

I walked into one place and 7 people were sitting solo laughing into their phones, not engaging with those around them.

I guess it's just the way things are going. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

There was a girl staying in my house for the best part of a year and we became friends, but I noticed that some days she communicated with me more through messenger and WhatsApp than she did face to face.. even if we were in the house at the same time, also, when ever we dropped into the local for one, she was constantly on her phone messaging other people. It became very irritating after a while.

There was a girl staying in my house for the best part of a year and we became friends, but I noticed that some days she communicated with me more through messenger and WhatsApp than she did face to face.. even if we were in the house at the same time, also, when ever we dropped into the local for one, she was constantly on her phone messaging other people. It became very irritating after a while.

I use to work in an office where they'd just communicate through instant message. A guy that sat right beside me would use it to talk to me! I found it annoying and a bit odd tbh that we couldn't just speak directly especially when there were times when it would have been easier :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Touched a nerve have I ? let me guess, you're one of these sheep who can't go 5 seconds without gawking at their latest arsebook update ?

Not popular enough for Facebook are we?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Lorelli! wrote: »
    I use to work in an office where they'd just communicate through instant message. A guy that sat right beside me would use it to talk to me! I found it annoying and a bit odd tbh that we couldn't just speak directly especially when there were times when it would have been easier :confused:

It's a record though. If it's work related he may have a reason for that.

It's a record though. If it's work related he may have a reason for that.

Oh ye I get that but there were certain things where it was not necessary to IM and it took longer.

IMO it was bad for our work place because the little fun conversations about random stuff with your colleagues is a nice thing that helps get you through the day and makes the workplace more enjoyable. This was like those american office cubicles and a big office but very quiet! :/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Lorelli! wrote: »

I do have one group of friends who do this sort of picture time thing every time they go out which I find a bit annoying but it's only a small part of the night.

Is that where they have a ton of make up on and make silly faces?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

WkHHpZ1.jpg

All this technology is making people anti-social.

• Advertisement

Deja vu

Not popular enough for Facebook are we?

Let me guess ? you're the person who goes out at night and communicates to people through Facebook while they're right across the bar stool from you ? am I right ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Patww79 wrote: »
    Why do you care so much what other people do? There has to be an underlying reason as it's none of your business.

Clearly looking for people to entertain him and feels everyone should engage in pointless conversation with him

Lord only knows why?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Sorry OP just walked into a pole reading this thread. What were you saying again?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭rednoggin

WkHHpZ1.jpg

All this technology is making people anti-social.

In fairness, I doubt they pulled out a newspaper when they were at the pub or having dinner.

Patww79 wrote: »

I don't care what other people do. I just think it's bad manners. If that makes me some kind of Alien then stone me to death. Face to face communication seems to be fading away, and deemed strange while talking to a person on social media while being in the same room as them is seen as normal :confused:

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Sorry OP just walked into a pole reading this thread. What were you saying again?

Talk to people face to face rather than behind a screen when out in their company, comprende son ?

• Advertisement

Talk to people face to face rather than behind a screen when out in their company, comprende son ?

I hope the irony of this isn't lost on you :D:D

I hope the irony of this isn't lost on you :D:D

The current generation seem to be brainwashed

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I don't care what other people do. I just think it's bad manners. If that makes me some kind of Alien then stone me to death. Face to face communication seems to be fading away, and deemed strange while talking to a person on social media while being in the same room as them is seen as normal :confused:

It's a bit like the man who's internet broke one night he said he talked to his family and they seemed like nice people :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Sam Kade wrote: »
    You are a real people's person.

Not everyone is a real marketting/PR type person that can just chat away to anyone!
    Having said that, I do agree that's it's an issue nowadays with people constantly in front of their phones - but in moderation - why not ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

If I go out on a night with a person they are not allowed talk to anyone else, just me.

I want all the attention and if they can't give it to me I leave.

They aren't allowed do pub quizzes or watch a football match either as I haven't got their 100% undivided attention.

If I go out on a night with a person they are not allowed talk to anyone else, just me.

I want all the attention and if they can't give it to me I leave.

They aren't allowed do pub quizzes or watch a football match either as I haven't got their 100% undivided attention.

Easy there ladeen, I'm not against social media but if you plan to go out for a night and you are constantly hooked at your phone then you should just stay at home. That's the point I'm trying to get across here.

Easy there ladeen, I'm not against social media but if you plan to go out for a night and you are constantly hooked at your phone then you should just stay at home. That's the point I'm trying to get across here.

Have you any other rules you want everyone else to follow??

Noones forcing you to stay in their company while their using the phone?

I give up, continue chatting to people through a mobile screen while they are right across the room for you. :confused:

• Advertisement

I give up, continue chatting to people through a mobile screen while they are right across the room for you. :confused:

To be honest you posted this in After Hours where the majority readership are around 25-ish?

This is the way it is for that generation not like us old farts ;)

Advertisement