Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the purpose of your life?

Options
  • 22-06-2017 7:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭

I don't mean what is the meaning of life, because I don't know if there is one. I mean what do you feel is most important to achieve or to feel or do in this life?

For me, life is about love and hedonism, the pursuit of pleasure, and trying to minimise any negative actions towards other people. Be good to others when I can, mainly I just try not to be a d1ck though. Learning is important to me too, learning about whatever interests me.

I used to be very ambitious and concerned about my career but due to health problems I have adopted a more relaxed attitude. Now, when I see people killing themselves at work I can't really see the point or the purpose, maybe if you're a doctor or a surgeon, but if you have a general office job I don't see the need to take it so seriously. Others will disagree of course and take pleasure in their work and in doing a good job.

So, AHers, what gets you out of bed in the morning? What makes life worthwhile?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

What's the question caller?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭Allinall

Don't know about anyone else, but for me it's 100% to find a winner at Royal Ascot.

Nothing else matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Purpose of life is to die. It's your only guarantee

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

To enjoy it with the least stress possible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Alcohol

• Advertisement

I think most human beings try to live like filter-feeders, such as mussels; we absorb the world around us: good experiences, bad experiences; acquire facts, develop skills and disregard destructive impulses, and hopefully, at the end of our lives, leave the environment in an improved, pure, more desirable state than it was when we started.

Despite all the destruction that we commit as a species, I think this is the main objective of human beings, whether conscious or not.

I wouldn't say happiness is the main purpose of most people's lives, happiness is just the state of mind that gives you the fuel, the capacity, to do your life's work, to be that filter-feeder, and leave the world better than how you found it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

Gonna sound pathetic I know but for me the only point of it all is my daughter..
    Only reason I work is for to provide her with life's essentials and happy memories.
    I def don't take work too seriously ("work to live" and all that) and i suppose just be a good person overall!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Some kind of growth maybe.

Cycle of births and deaths. One day I'll get out of the game, stop taking on bodies, and stay in the spirit realm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Xaracatz

I think most human beings try to live like filter-feeders, such as mussels; we absorb the world around us: good experiences, bad experiences; acquire facts, develop skills and disregard destructive impulses, and hopefully, at the end of our lives, leave the environment in an improved, pure, more desirable state than it was when we started.

Despite all the destruction that we commit as a species, I think this is the main objective of human beings, whether conscious or not.

I wouldn't say happiness is the main purpose of most people's lives, happiness is just the state of mind that gives you the fuel, the capacity, to do your life's work, to be that filter-feeder, and leave the world better than how you found it.

I like that a lot.

And happiness is a happy by product.

I would say that giving a smile to somebody on the street can help with their good experiences, and yours too. More fuel to want to, and enjoy working to, filter-feed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

It's all about the three ETs

Enough Tennent's

Enough turf

Enough time to enjoy both

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Allinall wrote: »
    Don't know about anyone else, but for me it's 100% to find a winner at Royal Ascot.

Nothing else matters.

I had two today, taj marakesh and sioux nation :)

And three that placed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Mech1

Every-time-I-go-to-the-store-I-think-of-this.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

To be my most authentic self.

I'm well on my way there, I've the most amazing psychotherapist in the world, and the more we work together, the more the world becomes full of colour rather than shades of black and white and grey.

It's exciting and terrifying, to wake up to the real world just as amazing as it is. But definitely more exciting than terrifying.

I'm constantly astounded at how many people go through their lives so unaware of and oblivious to reality. I know it all too well; I was one of them for far too long! I was functional; high-flying career, relationship, baby, all of the rest. But I was so far removed from the person I actually am ... or rather, the person I've potential to be. I was like this effigy of other peoples' expectations of who I should/could be, with so little of ME in there. Not any more.

I'm much better as the real me, and the best ME that I can be.

Well I love my job so I dont feel I live to work or work to just live. I'd like to leave the world a little better for people powerless to help themselves, and if I do that I'll be happy with myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

To cocoon myself in duct tape, of course.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Asked my mum who told me to go ask my wife who told me gowayouttathat and take out the bins.

I didn't take out the bins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

To wake up tomorrow morning ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

To surround myself with good people and avoid the dickheads out there.Im also getting good at ignoring bitchy comments from people who I have no respect for to begin with.For me it's family and friends. I don't have time for negative people who are negative influences any more, they are like black clouds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I think the real purpose of anyone’s life is to be fully involved in living. Try to be present for the journey and fully embrace it. So many of us walk through life, feeling numb and desperate for a deeper connection, but aren’t sure how to get it. Maybe the problem isn’t that you don’t know what your purpose is; the problem is the way you are trying to find your purpose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

To be good, and to be loved.

If I can honestly say that I achieved those on my death bed then I shall be content.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,731 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

TO find the one person who made it all worth while.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

The purpose of life is to have a big crowd at your funeral.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭Archeron

To post in this exact thread.

Aaaaaahhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

feargale wrote: »
    The purpose of life is to have a big crowd at your funeral.

Yep, that and hoarding a good few quid throughout your life to leave to relatives. Especially true of batchelors/spinsters. You might have been a horrid hoor all your life, but leave a lump sum to a nephew somewhere and you've instantly achieved legendary status and the promise of manys the anniversary mass said for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

To raise my children to the best of my ability.
    To make sure other children are being brought up without abuse and neglect. To also intervene when they aren't. To help families struggling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

Agricola wrote: »
    Yep, that and hoarding a good few quid throughout your life to leave to relatives. Especially true of batchelors/spinsters. You might have been a horrid hoor all your life, but leave a lump sum to a nephew somewhere and you've instantly achieved legendary status and the promise of manys the anniversary mass said for you!

Being forgotten when I die is one of my biggest fears, not actually the dying part. Better start hoarding my money away now so people will remember me :P

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Sometimes I remember that we're just a bunch of atoms floating in space and that with enough perspective, none of this is worth a rat's fart. "Oh some random collection of atoms just went kaboom in that tiny, tiny, tiiiiny galaxy in that corner. Was that a planet? A star? Who knows. Ah well."

On better days I genuinely think it must all be about love somehow. Not just romantic love, just a love of all things, which explains everything.

Then I remember things like Syria and what the fck do I know.

All I have is Mrs Oink, Oink Junior, and Oink Junior Jr.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,117 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

The Donald has two purposes in life

1) Banging fine beatches
    2) Pressing that big nuke button to destroy the planet so that I can take you all with me when the heart attack kicks in and I'm just about to die. Just for the craic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

The Donald has two purposes in life

1) Banging fine beatches
    2) Pressing that big nuke button to destroy the planet so that I can take you all with me when the heart attack kicks in and I'm just about to die. Just for the craic

Isn't your main purpose to build a wall? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,117 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Isn't your main purpose to build a wall? :P

Ah I'm just being eccentric and going mental to keep you on your feet. My latest scheme is to build it from Solar panels to make it cheaper for Mexico to pay for it.

(Don't tell anyone but I get a lot of my ideas from watching reruns of Pinky and the Brain)

Advertisement