Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Could a terror attack happen in Ireland?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

Your boards.ie account is not related to your real life persona.

But if you want to claim that it is, fair enough, I can't get you to change your mind.

For future reference though, you don't get to claim something based off alleged proof you have, if you can't actually back it up.

Just a thought. All the best, and I really mean it. Play the ****ing Witcher 3.

You didn't back up your claims with stats or links though. Could I impose on you to do so? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Beyondgone wrote: »
    You didn't back up your claims with stats or links though. Could I impose on you to do so? :confused:

My assertion was based purely on personal experience and never did I claim it was anything other than that (and common sense statistics).

You actually claimed you had evidence. Which is a huge difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Attackers : Allahu Akhbar!:mad:

''Ah, come on now lads!'':eek:

Attackers : Oh Alright then...Sorry.:o

My assertion was based purely on personal experience and never did I claim it was anything other than that (and common sense statistics).

You actually claimed you had evidence. Which is a huge difference.

No I didn't? :confused: I stated my opinion.

babi-hrse wrote: »
    You can't just turn around and ask someone else to prove your wrong. The onus lies on you to prove your side as your the one who threw the salacious piece into the mix

I agree 100%. Dave the sheep needs to step up and prove his/her claims. With links, sources, references, the whole nine yards. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭Academic

Intending no disrespect to the original poster, the poll question doesn't really make sense. An attack can happen anywhere.

The more reasonable question is how likely it would be to happen in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

If an attack was to happen I would the emmergency response would be terrible. It would be a while before the attack is brought under control as they wait for the eru to arrive there would have to a manhunt. Secondly would there be enough ambulances to transport the injured to hospital and even when there theyd probably be waiting for a trolley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

No I didn't? :confused: I stated my opinion.
    Well, you don't speak the language the staff speak, you don't speak the language most if not almost all the other customers speak.. so what's to clarify? You're the minority. And you didn't even notice because someone loud on the internet said it wasn't true. And had statistics to prove it. Like boiling frogs..

It's entirely possible I misread the above quote. I'm not sure how but it mgiht have happened. I'm ok admitting fault there.

Even, for the sake of argument, if the above quote is not true, your posts about who and who doesn't use Lidl's/Aldi's in Ireland is bizarre. It's not focused on reality at atll. So many Irish use Lidl/Aldi it's not even funny. IT's cheaper. We're going to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Strong Life in Dublin

Stephen15 wrote: »
    If an attack was to happen I would the emmergency response would be terrible. It would be a while before the attack is brought under control as they wait for the eru to arrive there would have to a manhunt. Secondly would there be enough ambulances to transport the injured to hospital and even when there theyd probably be waiting for a trolley.

Actually the response time for armed garda in Dublin would not be too bad, not greate but not horrible. I always see armed gardai jeeps doing laps around Dublin city. So I would say they could get anywhere in the cc pretty quick

Plus it depends on the type of attack, guns won't be much use for a maniac with a truck. The best defense for this is to have retractable bollards at the entrance of major streets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Ferrari3600

The best defense for this is to have retractable bollards at the entrance of major streets

That might be sensible, if it can be done at a reasonable cost, and controls and oversights exist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Bull**** assumption, emergency response quicker based on years of anti terror training from the border clashes, tiger kidnappings and recent gangland shootings. People will critcise alleged slow responses to shootings but in the context of a wider terrorist attack the response time and cordens are sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

There's been terror attacks in Ireland for decades. The Catholic Church!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

caff wrote: »
    Bull**** assumption, emergency response quicker based on years of anti terror training from the border clashes, tiger kidnappings and recent gangland shootings. People will critcise alleged slow responses to shootings but in the context of a wider terrorist attack the response time and cordens are sound.

Ireland more than most countries is pretty well served by very restrictive anti-terrorism legislation.

But the gaurda response to the shooting in the regency hotel,was working in that if those who went in there and if their mission was to kill as many innocents as possible

Not turning up for 40 mins or so,would see alot of people killed??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

It's only the beginning.

This ain't going to stop overnight
    Beginning? Twas over a decade ago Al-Qaeda were setting off multiple bombs in London and hijacking planes in the US.

These days, it's driving without due care and attention and waving kitchen knives.

Great to hear that our taxpayers' money is well-spent!! :pac:

Where is Ireland on the per capita murder rate, compared with international peer group? Just curious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

You know i often thought it would be fairly easy for 2-3 men with just AKs

Imagine walking into Dundrum shopping centre in the weekend before Christmas when everyone is doing their shopping, have one enter from each exit and start shooting, Jesus they'd easily mow down dozens especially if one attacked from the front door and people rush to the back of the centre while another advances from that door.

Another i always thought was any normal morning on the Luas Platform in St. Stephens Green around 8am-9am surely there must be a 100 getting off the Luas that time it's packed, it would be like fish in a barrel the way everyone is slow moving coming out onto the platform

Ireland more than most countries is pretty well served by very restrictive anti-terrorism legislation.

But the gaurda response to the shooting in the regency hotel,was working in that if those who went in there and if their mission was to kill as many innocents as possible

Not turning up for 40 mins or so,would see alot of people killed??
    Totally agree huge difference between a terror attack where the goal is to scare an entire populace into hiding and a gangland shooting where the goal is a clean getaway and intimidation of locals to not rat you out. Very different tactics on both sides. If you knew a sure way of responding to each you'd be a wealthy consultant.

Imagine walking into Dundrum shopping centre in the weekend before Christmas when everyone is doing their shopping, have one enter from each exit and start shooting, Jesus they'd easily mow down dozens especially if one attacked from the front door and people rush to the back of the centre while another advances from that door.

Another i always thought was any normal morning on the Luas Platform in St. Stephens Green around 8am-9am surely there must be a 100 getting off the Luas that time it's packed, it would be like fish in a barrel the way everyone is slow moving coming out onto the platform
    It would ye, just shows how many people who imaged the same scenario after playing battlefield or cod aren't. Homicidal maniacs intent on mass murder. Amazing ye?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

There's nothing can be done to stop this??

Anyone that dedicated to killing innocent people isn't going to be put off by difficulty in immigrating to places??

One of the worst (and most forgotten about) attacks was the Mumbai massacres,the killers there had never set foot in Mumbai before the attacks iirc
    And done most of their study of street layouts etc on Google maps

Great to hear that our taxpayers' money is well-spent!! :pac:

Where is Ireland on the per capita murder rate, compared with international peer group? Just curious!
    15th of 34 oecd, but you could google it

• Advertisement

You can stop an attack before hand with intelligence community support and proper funding. You can respond to the aftermath with a properly resourced eru system.
    You can try to prevent the situation occurring at all by strengthening the social contract. You can by no means eliminate the possibility entirely, that's just wishful thinking, Russia cant do it china can't do it, both police states!

15th of 34 oecd, but you could google it

I'm not arsed, and if the OECD stats are from the AGS, I wouldn't trust them.

Commonsense suggests we are much higher, unfortunately.

But, hey, never mind, youse got your pay increase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Dubh Linn wrote: »
    Could there be IS attackers in Ireland NOW?

Yes. We tried to deport a recruiter already and the ECHR wouldn't allow it.

You can try to prevent the situation occurring at all by strengthening the social contract.

Agreed!

But the problem that you have is that TPTB have deliberately, cynically, and knowingly destroyed the social contract in Ireland. They have done so for money and corruption, and reasons of cynical venality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

seamus wrote: »
    Yeah there's no reason why the lone nut type of attack couldn't happen here. God knows we've plenty of our own anyway.

Big sophisticated attacks are far less likely because their intention is to provoke a response - to get a country to enact more anti-muslim policies or to get them to drop bombs somewhere. In neither arena would we make much of a difference on the world stage, so blowing your load on a large attack in Dublin would be a waste.
    Good point. But from a marketing point of view, a larger attack here would also help them recruit elsewhere, I don't think that can be dismissed. When there are lots of little failed attacks like the lone wolf in Orly, or the Louvres, that kind of thing, it must be less an incentive to join for young males (than a fine big attack with lots of kudos for it).
    I suppose we could always enact some draconian privacy-invading Big Brother laws to combat imaginary terr'ism that will remain in place long after ISIS are dead and buried

Restricting immigration, tighter border controls are not Big Brother-ish actions ? :confused:

I'd put them several levels below that! Antimicrobial resistance is one of the the most pressing issues of the next generation or so. Nutty Islamists are Vanarama League by comparison - they kill hundreds every year typically, a bacterial infection without a silver bullet will kill millions at some point the way things are going.

I see a few of these "bravado" posts, Ubbiquitous, yourself, I think there's another poster...

That's fine, impersonate Bruce Willis, sport a little smile around the corner of your lips, and let the security measures happen if you don't mind, because some of us would rather feel safe than brave.

OP yes I think it could happen here, of course. Big attack, orchestrated, or smaller lone wolf attack.

Among the threats in my opinion at this stage are our food chain and (dare I say ?) water chain. Electric Picnic and such. Also, and more so, because they host a variety of nationalities (more media exposure) : the ferry boats from France/Uk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Among the threats in my opinion at this stage are our food chain.

So the cows should be terrified?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 172 ✭✭Dubh Linn

Where is the most likely place they would attack, IF they attack.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 netherlands15

7 OUT OF TEN POLLED BELIEVE IRELAND WILL BE HIT 70%

I know, it is a somewhat shocking statistic.

• Advertisement

maybe just the right wing are voting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Noddyholder

bubblypop wrote: »
    If the question is could it happen?
    Then yes.

Will we be next?
    No.

How do you know when or where they will strike next ?

I think Ireland needs to do something with it's security if this is the way the people think about an attack happening on our soil..

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Caparison

No chance . We are grand lads . Shhettle down hye . Tae and a shhcone , the craic , drink , ah here lads, come OUT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Noddyholder

I think Ireland needs to do something with it's security if this is the way the people think about an attack happening on our soil..

I am sure (hope) behind the scenes there are measures being taken & also cooperation between the various security forces through out Europe. But with our own major gang war & dissentent republicans I say our Garda are pretty stretched & don't forget the cost, It all comes down to the money & priority's.

you would have to think about galway,

i often walked down shop street at 8 am, 100's of people milling along and delivery trucks left outside shops with the engine running

• Advertisement

Just an update on the Stockholm truck attack, apparently the West was warned about the suspect:

Uzebekistan has said the Stockholm truck attack suspect was linked to IS and that it had warned "Western partners" about him.

The country's foreign minister said it had passed information on Rakhmat Akilov to Sweden via another Western nation.

Abdulaziz Kamilov told reporters that Akilov had been recruited by Islamic State after he left Uzbekistan to live in Sweden in 2014.

The minister did not say which country the information was first passed to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Caparison wrote: »
    No chance . We are grand lads . Shhettle down hye . Tae and a shhcone , the craic , drink , ah here lads, come OUT.

That type of sh!te talk would make someone wanna bomb us.

Here's another good point, the refugees that are almost certainly hiding amongst us could be radicalised and surely take a pop at somewhere in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

I suppose we could always enact some draconian privacy-invading Big Brother laws to combat imaginary terr'ism that will remain in place long after ISIS are dead and buried

Or we could do nothing but put filters on our FB when it does happen. Then come on Boards & talk about how tragic it is

• Advertisement

True.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

Collie D wrote: »
    Read my last post. Not embarrassed at all by the way. It was poorly phrased and I was speed reading. As for unnecessary posting - the OP asked about the likelihood of a terror attack in Ireland and we've diverted to who shops in Lidl...

To OP, yes it's possible we're a target as these people don't really care who they hurt. Likely? Less so than other countries I think.

To you..."literally millions of these people"...who?

Don't ask anymore questions,there's a good lad

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Dubh Linn wrote:

No security is going to stop one of the lone Wolf attacks that are happening at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

MysticMonk wrote: »
    Don't ask anymore questions,there's a good lad

Because you've no answers?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

Collie D wrote: »
    Because you've no answers?

Because you don't read stuff properly and waste time going off topic and asking irrelevant questions to bog the discussion down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Could a terrorist attack happen in Ireland? Yes

Would it happen? Probably not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

MysticMonk wrote: »
    Because you don't read stuff properly and waste time going off topic and asking irrelevant questions to bog the discussion down

I misread one poorly worded sentence but patronise away if it makes you feel intelligent. And I haven't dragged anything off topic but you deflect anyway if you can't answer.

So who are these "literally millions of people"? You think there are that many IS operators in Europe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Would never happen in Limerick, the chances are high you'd be stabbed before you can carry out an attack. :pac:

Here's another good point, the refugees that are almost certainly hiding amongst us could be radicalised and surely take a pop at somewhere in Ireland?

The refugees are hiding?
    Anyone can become radicalised, sure our most famous was born and bred in Ireland

I suppose you have a point there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement