Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo Switch Game News and Releases.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Most launches have overpriced games, as the selection is so poor. All those 3rd party games will be dirt cheap within the year. I only plan on getting the first part games, such as Zelda, Mario Kart, Mario Odyssey and perhaps Splatoon, this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,997 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Now we know what the R stands for in the games title, Rip-off!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I think we had the same kind of thing with the PS4, lots and lots of "remasters" padding out the release schedule.
    But, in that instance, PS4 owners were that delighted to have something to play, they didn't complain too much.
    I suppose the overlap between WiiU owners and Switch owners, at least at first, will be considerable, so we are going to have to ask the question if we really need another copy of MK8 in our lives.
    That said, it would otherwise be some time before a Mario Kart game would arrive on the system, certainly not in the first year, so the addition to the library is welcome, not only that, but Christmas '17 should hopefully mean people who never owned a WiiU will be taking the plunge with the Switch, so MK8 will be an excellent title for them to own, finally.
    I would hope though that the remasters are priced more keenly than brand new titles, that is that rather than spending €70 or so on them they'll come in at €50, maybe even a discount for people who bought it online for their WiiU, we can buy wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I want more remasters, reasonably priced, not less. Specially for the first year. Convince Nintendo to reprint some of the harder to get Wii U games as well.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I think we had the same kind of thing with the PS4, lots and lots of "remasters" padding out the release schedule.
    But, in that instance, PS4 owners were that delighted to have something to play, they didn't complain too much.
    I suppose the overlap between WiiU owners and Switch owners, at least at first, will be considerable, so we are going to have to ask the question if we really need another copy of MK8 in our lives.
    That said, it would otherwise be some time before a Mario Kart game would arrive on the system, certainly not in the first year, so the addition to the library is welcome, not only that, but Christmas '17 should hopefully mean people who never owned a WiiU will be taking the plunge with the Switch, so MK8 will be an excellent title for them to own, finally.
    I would hope though that the remasters are priced more keenly than brand new titles, that is that rather than spending €70 or so on them they'll come in at €50, maybe even a discount for people who bought it online for their WiiU, we can buy wait and see.

I'd love remasters/ports of the Wii U games I missed, such as MK8 [which we are getting] as well as Smash Bros, Super Mario 3D World, that 2D Mario game, and Pikmin, as well as the Donkey Kong games. There's a huge market for these, I'm genuinely shocked [or is it the opposite, considering it's Nintendo] that there's not more of them.

I get that we don't want nothing but remasters but considering the Wii U was a failed console, it had some amazing games that could really benefit from a second lease of life on the Switch.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Whatever about the price I'll be getting bomberman at launch. I'll get my moneys worth out of local multiplayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I feel the same way about Bomberman, some of the best local multiplayer you can play!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

A modicum of sense would have Nintendo release compilations of classics.
    A remastered set of the Pikmin titles, amended to make the most of the Switch.
    Similarly a "greatest hits" of the New Super Mario Bros titles.
    They've masses of great titles out there, waiting to be played again. Sure, some of us have them already, but there should be enough that no longer or never owned a GC or a Wii to warrant their release, something like Metroid Prime Trilogy or a non Olympic themed sports compilation, like the one the 3DS is getting.
    Kirby too, the recent anniversary set that never had a release in the EU needs to come out, maybe via VC or, perhaps, a new collection including the Wii Return to Dreamland and upscaled versions of Triple Deluxe and Planet Robobot.
    Come on Ninty!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Remakes and remasters have never sold a console though. Why buy a new console just to play a game that you already played or something from a previous generation? I mean it's nice to have if you missed out but it's going to sell the system to almost nobody.

I'd rather Nintendo spent time and resources on new content and IP rather than wallowing in the past which is what the VC will be for.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Remakes and remasters have never sold a console though. Why buy a new console just to play a game that you already played or something from a previous generation? I mean it's nice to have if you missed out but it's going to sell the system to almost nobody.

I'd rather Nintendo spent time and resources on new content and IP rather than wallowing in the past which is what the VC will be for.

Oh, I'd be perfectly happy with a VC rather than remastered, but obviously some games will require a remastered, as there could be technical issues with emulation. Nintendo need to confirm what is going on with the VC for the Switch. Even if it's a software update later on, and not there for launch, I just want to know what to expect.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »

I'd normally agree with you, but too many people's favourite PS4 game has been The Last of Us!

Stuff like this seems to get lost in the main thread, so shove it here. Release schedule for the Nintendo Switch from launch and best places to buy it. Worth noting since the Switch is region free, you can indulge in imports from US/Japan to your hearts desire. You wanna import, two reccomended sites are

https://www.amazon.com
    https://www.videogamesplus.ca

Anyway, up to date as possible, though there's still 6 weeks to go till launch.

Release (3rd March)

Legend Of Zelda Breath Of The Wild
    1-2 Switch.
    Super Bomberman R
    Skylanders Imaginators
    Just Dance 2017

Launch Window/Spring

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (28th April)
    SHOVEL KNIGHT: TREASURE TROVE AND SPECTER OF TORMENT
    Arms
    Snipperclippers
    Has-Real Heroes
    Fast RMX
    Disagea 5
    Rime
    PuyoPuyo Tetris
    Binding Of Issac

Summer

Splatoon 2

Autumn

The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim

Holiday/Vague 2017 dates

Arcade Archives
    FIFA Switch
    Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers
    Dragonball Z Xenoverse 2
    Farming Simulator
    Fire Emblem Warriors
    Minecraft Story Mode The complete adventure
    Minecraft
    Rayman Legends Definitive edition
    Shin Megami Tensei
    Siberia 3
    Steep
    Project Sonic
    Sonic Mania
    Super Mario Odyssey
    Lego City Undercover
    I am Setsuna
    Xenoblade 2
    Fire Emblem Warriors
    State Of Mind
    Monster Boy

Obviously this doesn't include stuff not announced or confirmed, Pokemon Stars, Smash Bros port, Rabbids/Mario RPG, etc. Or virtual console stuff, since they haven't announced or confirmed anything about it.

Can't edit the OP, so this'll have to do. Shovel Knight is 'launch window' rather than vague 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

While this technically hasn't been announced for Switch, Yooka-Laylee's multiplayer has been shown off.

£10 off any amazon order over £50 with code BIGTHANKS. Brings Zelda to £40 for example.

£10 off any amazon order over £50 with code BIGTHANKS. Brings Zelda to £40 for example.

Thanks. Just an FYI that Zelda is 49.99 so you'll need to add something else in to make up the 1p difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Also, there were reports on HUKD that a PreOrder won't work on it's own, there has to be something shipped by Amazon that can be immediately dispatched.

Banjo wrote: »
    Also, there were reports on HUKD that a PreOrder won't work on it's own, there has to be something shipped by Amazon that can be immediately dispatched.

Nope, I pre ordered mario kart and horizon zero dawn, went through fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭druss

On using that Amazon 10 quid.

I'm afraid to order Zelda (because I will need something to play on Day 1)

I'm afraid to order Mario Kart (because of the unlikely possibility that Nintendo will offer some form of digital incentive to those who own it on Wii U)

What a conundrum.

druss wrote: »
    On using that Amazon 10 quid.

I'm afraid to order Zelda (because I will need something to play on Day 1)

I'm afraid to order Mario Kart (because of the unlikely possibility that Nintendo will offer some form of digital incentive to those who own it on Wii U)

What a conundrum.

Pretty unlikely :(

• Advertisement

What if they let MK8 players on Wii U and Switch play together online? And released the Battle Mode, characters and dual items as an upgrade on the Wii U version. It would definitely be technically possible but Nintendo love money too much for that to happen and it would cripple sales of the Switch version. Still, why did they release that trolling Tweet?

Banjo wrote: »

Nope, I preordered Zelda, and Rogue One Blu Ray, all went through fine.

^^Good to know!

Anyone in a quandry about ordering.... why not pre-Order Arms now at it's £49.99 price, add on something worth under £1 for the deal and then pray that Arms is bundled with JoyCons under this SKU and the price jumps way up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

EA turn out the same game for over twenty years, change the year in the title, slightly improve the graphics and charge 70 euro for it, people lap it up all day long. An all time multiplayer classic is announced for a new console, Konami charge 50 euro for it and people lose their minds. It has to be one of the best multiplayers of all time, it's well worth the asking price in my opinion in anyway. In fairness I don't think you're going to pick up many new releases for twenty euro on any console.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Plus, with the Switchs 2 Joy-cons, you have 2 player out of the box fro the cost of the console and game. Buy another Joy-con pair and you got 4 player for the price another console would be only getting 2 player at, even if the game only cost €20.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Am i the only one who would love to see the Gamecube pokemon games remastered ?. AS they where fantastic and a lot better then what people remember them for.

Put them on one cart and sell for 50 euros it will print money Nintendo .......

OR just let us know more on the game cube games that there going to be bringing over as there is maybe 50 + games that will be fantastic to play on the switch.

EA turn out the same game for over twenty years, change the year in the title, slightly improve the graphics and charge 70 euro for it, people lap it up all day long.

Aside from the cost of the license, if you compare the state of FIFA today to where it was say in 2000 a lot has changed.
    Look, if konami justify the hefty price tag by bringing a game that has either evolved significantly in the right direction or shone the razzle and dazzle of a thousands suns onto an immortal classic, great. But the screenshots I saw look a lot like a game I bought on the n64 that was old hat then.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Bomberman has tried to go in different directions before with disastrous results, whatever about the price but the game looks exactly the type of game you'd want Bomberman to be. I've watched a fair bit more of the video and the boss fights look pretty good in it actually. Multiplayer is where it would be at though and simplified controls that Bomberman usually has suits the 2 Joy-Cons perfectly.

To be clear, I don't want evolution. Bomberman is like a shark or crocodile. It was born a perfect reaver of wasted hours.

But how do you justify the price tag when the mechanics and hell, even most of the resources, have been carved in Stone for decades?

• Advertisement

Also, Super Bomberman R is definitely not displayed in 1080p and runs at 30fps. It's not a taxing game visually, so what's its excuse for mediocre performance? Isn't this a port of an older Bomberman game? I can't get over that price though, it's as bad as Nintendo with 1,2 Switch.

Advertisement