Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TVs for the PS4 Pro - 4K HDR

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭spongbob

Isthe 55inch lg. for 700 euro a good pannel or a budget pannel. Argos are sayings thats the half price

I imagine they would be snapped up. If they are the bees knees?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Danick

Hi Grahamer666 - thanks for the heads up - unfortunately it is sold out in all the stores near me - is there anything I should be looking at in the specs of other tvs that will inform me about input lag or is it just pot luck - hook up your console and hope for the best?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Danick, head over to AVForums and go to the "what tv should I buy" section. Plenty of threads there with people in similar situation as yourself. They'll steer you in the right direction. Input lag should be on Rtings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Is there a test or anything you can do to test input lag? Have no idea what my input lag I'd on new TV and couldn't see it on specs page..

Also been waiting for FF XV to get discount to buy, I guess it will just be my luck that it gets added last... Probably a good idea as people will pay full price before the game comes on offer while now it just seems to be the older games on sale first...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

Another good site with everything you need to know on lots of TV's including Input Lag info.

http://www.rtings.com/tv

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

have my eyes on this for an after Christmas present to myself......

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-14-55KS900

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    have my eyes on this for an after Christmas present to myself......

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-14-55KS900

Going to give you a heads up stay away from powercity. I have had to bring them to the small claims court over my 1100 euros + TV as it broke twice and same issues both time EG the TV cracked twice and they wont give me a replacement on it as i am not happy with a repair as I have in a email from them go on go on bring us to court as the TV is 16 months old we don't have to do anything about it.

So buy from somewhere who cares about people as i never have had to deal with someone as rude as Darren from Power City.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

Going to give you a heads up stay away from powercity. I have had to bring them to the small claims court over my 1100 euros + TV as it broke twice and same issues both time EG the TV cracked twice and they wont give me a replacement on it as i am not happy with a repair as I have in a email from them go on go on bring us to court as the TV is 16 months old we don't have to do anything about it.

So buy from somewhere who cares about people as i never have had to deal with someone as rude as Darren from Power City.

thanks, yes I heard about power city and their ****ty customer service, will not be buying from there, no way I want the hassle after spending all that money on a TV and something happening and having no come back.. most shops now days sell TV,s at the same price.. I will go to D.I.D, bought a TV there a few years ago and the picture was **** when I got home, brought the TV back and they changed it straight away, that was still wrong, brought back and changed again, then the new TV was the same, looked at the wire on my xbox 360 and I had the wrong settings on, seems all the TV,s were working and it was my mistake, but they were excellent, so I will be going back there...

Have bought all my TV's over the years in Powercity and never had a problem with any of them.
    Latest one i bought the other day has a Bonus 5 Year Warranty with it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Have bought all my TV's over the years in Powercity and never had a problem with any of them.
    Latest one i bought the other day has a Bonus 5 Year Warranty with it too.

I've never had an issue with anything I ever bought off them either to be fair, people who have negative experiences with products or companies are the ones who shout loudest and understandably so...

We bought a couch in Harvey Norman that was a pile of ****, rather than me wasting my energy giving out to people telling them not to shop there I'll just chalk it down to a negative experience and avoid shopping myself...

How long do these flash sales stay active? I just checked it now. 800 pounds

• Registered Users Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Autochange wrote: »
    How long do these flash sales stay active? I just checked it now. 800 pounds

Usually about 1hr-1hr30 and 30 mins extra at the start for Prime customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭Varik

If you're spending €700 on the 55" LG from Argos you'd get a Samsung 6 series for €60 more especially for gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭spongbob

Varik wrote: »
    If you're spending €700 on the 55" LG from Argos you'd get a Samsung 6 series for €60 more especially for gaming.

Is the 4k bit on the LG. the equivalent to the samsungs HDR bit.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

spongbob wrote: »
    Is the 4k bit on the LG. the equivalent to the samsungs HDR bit.

No, both these TV's have 4K.
    HDR turns 4K TV's up to eleven.

That's my basic understanding of it, still doing some research, but I know when I take the plunge, I will be getting one with HDR.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

A great to site to use for the best value product price anywhere in the EU...

https://geizhals.eu/

You might need to tweak your search terms though, example - if you're checking out a Sony TV, type in Sony and the TV code only. Don't put in 'Bravia' because you'll end up with zero search results.

Another really handy thing about the site is when you're checking out a TV, you can also check out the pricing history. So if you're waiting to buy, you can pretty much work out the average price drop per month and have a rough idea of the cost when you go to buy.

So. I've spent a few days now with a 4K tv and am very impressed. Games look absolutely amazing in 4K and the colours really are so vibrant. The only thing that i'm slightly let down by is the HDR. I thought it was going to make a really big difference but to my eyes it really doesn't. It may do on a tv that costs a couple of thousand but for me and most people i reckon that is just too expensive. Maybe as more new games come out the HDR modes might be implemented better. Anyway, i'm very happy i decided to get one and it really looks amazing. If you're on the fence about getting one i'd recommend you do. 4K really is stunning.

So. I've spent a few days now with a 4K tv and am very impressed. Games look absolutely amazing in 4K and the colours really are so vibrant. The only thing that i'm slightly let down by is the HDR. I thought it was going to make a really big difference but to my eyes it really doesn't. It may do on a tv that costs a couple of thousand but for me and most people i reckon that is just too expensive. Maybe as more new games come out the HDR modes might be implemented better. Anyway, i'm very happy i decided to get one and it really looks amazing. If you're on the fence about getting one i'd recommend you do. 4K really is stunning.

To see 4k HDR the best posable way is the 10 bit HDR panels there is a huge difference between them as 90% of 4k HDR tvs are 8 bit panels. I have seen them all side by side with the same 4K HDR Blu rays. I was impressed with the Samsung ks7000 and the Panasonic that's in the same price range the 1000 euro plus. I will be going bigger then my 49 inch to a 55 or a 58 inch TV as I do have the room for it.

The LG that I have at the moment Is a 1100 euros 4k TV from 2015 that is broke and the Samsung or the Panasonic will be replacing the LG once power city give in to the small claims court.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

From my experience HDR is more noticeable in movies than in games. The effect seems to be much more subtle in games.

To see 4k HDR the best posable way is the 10 bit HDR panels there is a huge difference between them as 90% of 4k HDR tvs are 8 bit panels. I have seen them all side by side with the same 4K HDR Blu rays. I was impressed with the Samsung ks7000 and the Panasonic that's in the same price range the 1000 euro plus. I will be going bigger then my 49 inch to a 55 or a 58 inch TV as I do have the room for it.

The LG that I have at the moment Is a 1100 euros 4k TV from 2015 that is broke and the Samsung or the Panasonic will be replacing the LG once power city give in to the small claims court.

The TV i got has a 10 bit panel.

Senecio wrote: »
    From my experience HDR is more noticeable in movies than in games. The effect seems to be much more subtle in games.

Would have to agree with you. Streamed some HDR Netflix and i did notice it more on that.

The TV i got has a 10 bit panel.

What model did you get ?. And make ?.

What model did you get ?. And make ?.

Sony Bravia 43XD8099BU.

I rushed into buying a 4K sharp TV in Tesco for 449euro but you can't get Netflix or nothing on it...

Girlfriend works in Tesco and asked about refund and they said they will take it back with receipt... Don't know how they could take it back when it has been opened?...

So I guess I shouldn't lash out 500 on a HDR TV and instead just save for one after Christmas?... Although I am very bad for spending money ... Could buy the PS Pro and then hopefully sell my PS4 for 200euro or something and put that towards TV...

I rushed into buying a 4K sharp TV in Tesco for 449euro but you can't get Netflix or nothing on it...

Girlfriend works in Tesco and asked about refund and they said they will take it back with receipt... Don't know how they could take it back when it has been opened?...

So I guess I shouldn't lash out 500 on a HDR TV and instead just save for one after Christmas?... Although I am very bad for spending money ... Could buy the PS Pro and then hopefully sell my PS4 for 200euro or something and put that towards TV...

Can you not even Chromecast Netflix onto it?

Can you not even Chromecast Netflix onto it?

It was my girlfriend that was messing around with it trying to get things, took ages to get internet set up too kept failing and failing I suppose when I get back tonight I will see if theres a solution but if I could get money back it might be worth it if it really is that bad...

If you can get your money back then I definitely would. Save up a couple of hundred more and get a half decent one.

• Advertisement

I posted about a friend who last Friday bought a sharp smart tv from tesco. Remote has a netflix button but it dosnt work and there is no app on the tv. Can't be installed either. He rang the support line in Dublin and was told to update his tv via ner. He did that but still no netflix. Rang them again and the guy said there is an update on the way at the end of 2016. He landed the tv back to tesco and his money was refunded straight away. He told the manager he bought the tv for netflix. It dosnt work and he wants his money back. No problem. Now looking at a sony bravia. Will be used for gaming and netflix / showbox only.
    If you want to take it back they will refund

Advertisement