Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Im ok paying for water I use

Options
  • 26-05-2015 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭

Im a single person renting a bedsit and my landlord told me a few months ago that they got an application form for where I live and i was to fill it in. the landlord dropped the form down but I never filled it in, actually more to do with being too busy than any protest. fast forward a few months to now and they rang me and said that the company were on to them that there was no application made from my place so the landlord gave my details and now Ive a bill of €64.10 to pay (with some €100 rebate bull****)

the thing is that I dont mind paying for the water i use but theres no water meter in my place so it looks like they are just giving me a fixed charge, which defeats the whole purpose, no?

if it was my own place id probably just wait until a meter was installed before i paid anything but I dont want to cause any hassle or fuss for the landlord, but the principal of the thing annoys me a little. im probably just going to suck it up and pay it, but reluctantly. im living in Dun Laoghaire in a little purpose built block where each place has its own front door and I think water feed from outside (not sure about that though).

I don't agree with the term that prohibits harvesting of rain water and possibly being charged for the amount collected and I'd rather fluoride be removed too, but I'm happy to pay for a relatively clean supply of water direct to my kitchen tap.

the most important thing is not to annoy the landlord as my rent is below market value now and there was no increase as they said im such a good tenant so any increase in rent would cost way more than a few water bills a ayear and if i was to have to move it would be even worse.

cheers for any replies!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

It's sixty quid a year. Pay the cursed thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭recyclebin

It €60 quid a quarter, not a year.

My first bill is metered and came to €27. So about €108 for the year.

With the grant comes to a grand total of €8 per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

If you have a job, the income tax reduction last January pays this 2 or 3 times over.

recyclebin wrote: »

Forty quid a quarter with a hundred quid rebate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Tony Beetroot

I am doing the Bear Grylls on this one and boiling my urine for tea, save me a fortune.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭NeptunesMoon

cheers for the replies, yeah id much rather pay 260 a year than any reprocussions of pissing the landlord off.

whats the deal with the 100eur rebate, is that a once off so the first year will be 160 and then each year after back to the 260?

what's the income tax reduction?? im self emplyed so how would that efect it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

You are being charged as a couple.Get on to irish water and get it changed.

cheers for the replies, yeah id much rather pay 260 a year than any reprocussions of pissing the landlord off.

whats the deal with the 100eur rebate, is that a once off so the first year will be 160 and then each year after back to the 260?

what's the income tax reduction?? im self emplyed so how would that efect it?

Should be 160 for water and waste for a single person.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Got my first quarterly bill last bill last week and payed it straight away I have never let a bill sit

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Here we go again...

• Advertisement

vandriver wrote: »
    You are being charged as a couple.Get on to irish water and get it changed.

So it'll be even cheaper? nice cheers
    kneemos wrote: »

so an income tax reduction of 160, i dont pay any waste charges as our apartment got one of them communal bins so would it all go on water then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Tony Beetroot

so an income tax reduction of 160, i dont pay any waste charges as our apartment got one of them communal bins so would it all go on water then?

You ****e in the communal bins?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Buck Melanoma

So it'll be even cheaper? nice cheers

It is a water waste charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Something about water, free, priceless, natural, resource.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,103 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

recyclebin wrote: »

My first bill is metered and came to €27. So about €108 for the year.

With the grant comes to a grand total of €8 per year.

It's 160 pa or 40 for quarter, max, for a single person.

So 60 pa after the DSP grant.

So the grant is given annually of €100 and then you get €160 tax deduction, so a single self emlployed with a bill of €40 per quarter will actually come out €100 richer every year? :confused::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

So the grant is given annually of €100 and then you get €160 tax deduction, so a single self emlployed with a bill of €40 per quarter will actually come out €100 richer every year? :confused::pac:

There is no tax deduction.

All said and done after grant a single person with pay 60 quid per year, a couple with pay 160.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭recyclebin

People with their own wells come out €100 richer. You will be down €60. Don't think being self employed has anything to do with it.

someone mentioned income tax reduction of 160 for water and waste?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

While the water runs down the price will rise up

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

It's sixty quid a year. Pay the cursed thing.

It's per quarter and when the cap is gone it will be €400 per quarter, have a spare €1600+ a year to pay for water again do ya?

If you have a job, the income tax reduction last January pays this 2 or 3 times over.

Ah nice, so the gets a reduction in tax, for a double tax to kick in and take €240 back off ya. When the cap is gone water will cost a minimum of €400 per quarter btw! ;)

It's per quarter and when the cap is gone it will be €400 per quarter, have a spare €1600+ a year to pay for water again do ya?

How do you reach that figure? Can you see into the future?

OP, if you register with Irish Water you will only be charged €160 per year. You will have to register seperately with Department Of Social Protection for the €100 Conservation Grant, but not until August.

Until the cap is gone and its a minimum of €400 per quarter! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,092 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Did all the neighbours in your bedsit get an identical bill OP or are you getting the bill for the whole bedsit. I am in a similar situation myself but the bill hasn't come yet so I don't know what will happen. As you didnt register you dont get the rebate as far as I am aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

You'd want to be using a lot of water, or they'd want to be putting the price up by a lot for it to be 400 per quarter. Our metered usage was less than a euro more than the capped price and I've heard of a lot of people paying less than the cap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

So the grant is given annually of €100 and then you get €160 tax deduction, so a single self emlployed with a bill of €40 per quarter will actually come out €100 richer every year?

The grant is given once. A big dangly carrot.

How do you reach that figure? Can you see into the future?

OP, if you register with Irish Water you will only be charged €160 per year. You will have to register seperately with Department Of Social Protection for the €100 Conservation Grant, but not until August.

The uncapped figure is on the back of the bill so as soon as the cap is gone its automatically A MINIMUM of €400 per quarter. I already pay for water thanks and have no desire or means to register to pay some dodgy quango for something we all already pay for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭PeteFalk78

Until the cap is gone and its a minimum of €400 per quarter! ;)

Source?

• Advertisement

You'd want to be using a lot of water, or they'd want to be putting the price up by a lot for it to be 400 per quarter. Our metered usage was less than a euro more than the capped price and I've heard of a lot of people paying less than the cap.

No ya don't, its on the back of the bill what you'll be charged when the cap isn't there, also, if people start to conserve their use IW will be putting their prices up to compensate. Next

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement