Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Im ok paying for water I use

• 26-05-2015 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭

Im a single person renting a bedsit and my landlord told me a few months ago that they got an application form for where I live and i was to fill it in. the landlord dropped the form down but I never filled it in, actually more to do with being too busy than any protest. fast forward a few months to now and they rang me and said that the company were on to them that there was no application made from my place so the landlord gave my details and now Ive a bill of €64.10 to pay (with some €100 rebate bull****)

the thing is that I dont mind paying for the water i use but theres no water meter in my place so it looks like they are just giving me a fixed charge, which defeats the whole purpose, no?

if it was my own place id probably just wait until a meter was installed before i paid anything but I dont want to cause any hassle or fuss for the landlord, but the principal of the thing annoys me a little. im probably just going to suck it up and pay it, but reluctantly. im living in Dun Laoghaire in a little purpose built block where each place has its own front door and I think water feed from outside (not sure about that though).

I don't agree with the term that prohibits harvesting of rain water and possibly being charged for the amount collected and I'd rather fluoride be removed too, but I'm happy to pay for a relatively clean supply of water direct to my kitchen tap.

the most important thing is not to annoy the landlord as my rent is below market value now and there was no increase as they said im such a good tenant so any increase in rent would cost way more than a few water bills a ayear and if i was to have to move it would be even worse.

cheers for any replies!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

It's sixty quid a year. Pay the cursed thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

It €60 quid a quarter, not a year.

My first bill is metered and came to €27. So about €108 for the year.

With the grant comes to a grand total of €8 per year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

If you have a job, the income tax reduction last January pays this 2 or 3 times over.

recyclebin wrote: »

Forty quid a quarter with a hundred quid rebate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Tony Beetroot

I am doing the Bear Grylls on this one and boiling my urine for tea, save me a fortune.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭NeptunesMoon

cheers for the replies, yeah id much rather pay 260 a year than any reprocussions of pissing the landlord off.

whats the deal with the 100eur rebate, is that a once off so the first year will be 160 and then each year after back to the 260?

what's the income tax reduction?? im self emplyed so how would that efect it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭vandriver

You are being charged as a couple.Get on to irish water and get it changed.

cheers for the replies, yeah id much rather pay 260 a year than any reprocussions of pissing the landlord off.

whats the deal with the 100eur rebate, is that a once off so the first year will be 160 and then each year after back to the 260?

what's the income tax reduction?? im self emplyed so how would that efect it?

Should be 160 for water and waste for a single person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Got my first quarterly bill last bill last week and payed it straight away I have never let a bill sit

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Here we go again...

• Advertisement

vandriver wrote: »
    You are being charged as a couple.Get on to irish water and get it changed.

So it'll be even cheaper? nice cheers
    kneemos wrote: »

so an income tax reduction of 160, i dont pay any waste charges as our apartment got one of them communal bins so would it all go on water then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Tony Beetroot

so an income tax reduction of 160, i dont pay any waste charges as our apartment got one of them communal bins so would it all go on water then?

You ****e in the communal bins?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84 ✭✭Buck Melanoma

So it'll be even cheaper? nice cheers

It is a water waste charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Something about water, free, priceless, natural, resource.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

recyclebin wrote: »

My first bill is metered and came to €27. So about €108 for the year.

With the grant comes to a grand total of €8 per year.

It's 160 pa or 40 for quarter, max, for a single person.

So 60 pa after the DSP grant.

So the grant is given annually of €100 and then you get €160 tax deduction, so a single self emlployed with a bill of €40 per quarter will actually come out €100 richer every year? :confused::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

So the grant is given annually of €100 and then you get €160 tax deduction, so a single self emlployed with a bill of €40 per quarter will actually come out €100 richer every year? :confused::pac:

There is no tax deduction.

All said and done after grant a single person with pay 60 quid per year, a couple with pay 160.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

People with their own wells come out €100 richer. You will be down €60. Don't think being self employed has anything to do with it.

someone mentioned income tax reduction of 160 for water and waste?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

While the water runs down the price will rise up

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

It's sixty quid a year. Pay the cursed thing.

It's per quarter and when the cap is gone it will be €400 per quarter, have a spare €1600+ a year to pay for water again do ya?

If you have a job, the income tax reduction last January pays this 2 or 3 times over.

Ah nice, so the gets a reduction in tax, for a double tax to kick in and take €240 back off ya. When the cap is gone water will cost a minimum of €400 per quarter btw! ;)

It's per quarter and when the cap is gone it will be €400 per quarter, have a spare €1600+ a year to pay for water again do ya?

How do you reach that figure? Can you see into the future?

OP, if you register with Irish Water you will only be charged €160 per year. You will have to register seperately with Department Of Social Protection for the €100 Conservation Grant, but not until August.

Until the cap is gone and its a minimum of €400 per quarter! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,192 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Did all the neighbours in your bedsit get an identical bill OP or are you getting the bill for the whole bedsit. I am in a similar situation myself but the bill hasn't come yet so I don't know what will happen. As you didnt register you dont get the rebate as far as I am aware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

You'd want to be using a lot of water, or they'd want to be putting the price up by a lot for it to be 400 per quarter. Our metered usage was less than a euro more than the capped price and I've heard of a lot of people paying less than the cap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

So the grant is given annually of €100 and then you get €160 tax deduction, so a single self emlployed with a bill of €40 per quarter will actually come out €100 richer every year?

The grant is given once. A big dangly carrot.

How do you reach that figure? Can you see into the future?

OP, if you register with Irish Water you will only be charged €160 per year. You will have to register seperately with Department Of Social Protection for the €100 Conservation Grant, but not until August.

The uncapped figure is on the back of the bill so as soon as the cap is gone its automatically A MINIMUM of €400 per quarter. I already pay for water thanks and have no desire or means to register to pay some dodgy quango for something we all already pay for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭PeteFalk78

Until the cap is gone and its a minimum of €400 per quarter! ;)

Source?

• Advertisement

You'd want to be using a lot of water, or they'd want to be putting the price up by a lot for it to be 400 per quarter. Our metered usage was less than a euro more than the capped price and I've heard of a lot of people paying less than the cap.

No ya don't, its on the back of the bill what you'll be charged when the cap isn't there, also, if people start to conserve their use IW will be putting their prices up to compensate. Next

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

The uncapped figure is on the back of the bill so as soon as the cap is gone its automatically A MINIMUM of €400 per quarter. I already pay for water thanks and have no desire or means to register to pay some dodgy quango for something we all already pay for.

Where are you getting that 400 euro per quarter minimum?

Ush1 wrote: »
    Where are you getting that 400 euro per quarter minimum?

My big book of fairytales.

PeteFalk78 wrote: »
    Source?

Ya, check the bank of your bill ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭PeteFalk78

I don't have one. I have my own well. Can you provide a source.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Can you explain. I'm very interested in this. We are not direct IW customers so don't get this bill but have been paying for water for 30 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Its not your landlords business if you pay your taxes or utilities, if he doesnt like it, tell him to get on to his public representative to warn the Govt off involving landlords in stuff that doesnt concern them, i.e. turning them into collection agents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 958 ✭✭✭NewCorkLad

Ya just because you waste water doesnt mean everyone does.

falan wrote: »
    The grant is given once. A big dangly carrot.

It's an annual grant.

Don't see any mention of it on the back of the bill?

Did all the neighbours in your bedsit get an identical bill OP or are you getting the bill for the whole bedsit. I am in a similar situation myself but the bill hasn't come yet so I don't know what will happen. As you didnt register you dont get the rebate as far as I am aware.

I have my own front door as does everyone else in the block so it's not a converted house type set up with only the one front door.

• Advertisement

I don't see anything either. sounds like scaremongering, I can't see my bill going from 160 a year to 1,600 a year, I don't think anyone would pay that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

This is what it says on the back of mine.

"Irish Water will usually send you a bill every three
    months. Metered charges will be capped until the
    end of 2018. The charge for households with one
    adult is not more than €160 per year for both
    services (water and wastewater), €80 per year for
    a single service. For households with two or more
    adults, the charge is not more than €260 per year
    for both services, €130 per year for a single
    service. You will be charged the lower amount if
    your metered charge is less than the capped
    charge: meaning you could save money if you
    conserve water. A children's water allowance of
    of 21m³ (21,000 litres) a year per service is
    applicable for each child aged 17 years and
    under. Customers who have not registered with
    Irish Water are charged €260 per year by default.
    The charge is based on the number of days in the
    billing period."

Then apart from that, if the bill wasn't capped at €64.12 my bill for the quarter would have been €75.12. There's two adults in my house and we're not paying too much attention to the water we use. My missus definitely isn't with her long showers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

No ya don't, its on the back of the bill what you'll be charged when the cap isn't there, also, if people start to conserve their use IW will be putting their prices up to compensate. Next

Checked the back of the bill. No mention of 400 there. Next.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Checked the back of my bill. Nothing there.

But if you hold it up to the light, there's a watermark of Denis O'Brien's face.

Fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

kneemos wrote:
    It's an annual grant.

Assuming it isn't scrapped within a year. It's either a one off or its until 2018.

Isn't there another thread about this very subject somewhere else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

I am doing the Bear Grylls on this one and boiling my urine for tea, save me a fortune.

I must have missed that one

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Thread is being closed as there is a massive big massive thread over in the Politics Cafe for this type of chat.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057425934

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement