Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Traveller sues hotel for not having enough security for wedding

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

We are not supposed to positively discriminate either. The positive stereotypes can be patronizing.

"we are not supposed to..." that's frankly a scary comment for an autonomous adult to make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,144 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

anncoates wrote: »
    Might be an idea to just increase the breakage deposit required; sigh a legal disclaimer to cover any damage to the premises or even force the wedding/funeral party to foot security costs.

Unfortunately, I think you'd just see somebody taking action on discrimination grounds.
    well as it would be that i should imagine its what would happen indeed

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

Cienciano wrote: »
    I'm sure hotels don't open up and decide they're never going to do traveller weddings. I'd say it's along the lines of out of the 20 weddings a year, 5 were traveller weddings, and maybe 4 out of that 5 were a disaster. Do that for a few years and work out that it costs you money so you stop doing them. But you're racist for not doing them.
    It's not exactly the hoteliers association of ireland is run by a load of racists that would rather refuse money than serve travellers.
    Any big event in ireland the pubs make a fortune. Concerts or matches around croker, pubs around towns when festivals are on. But when it's a travellers horse fair in Borris where the pubs would be jammed they'd rather close than make thousands. Are the struggling publicans actually racist? Or is it more hassle than it's worth?
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/borris-pubs-and-shops-to-close-for-street-fair-1.930027
    All people hotellers and publicans want from travellers is to behave in a civilised way, no agro, sure they want to take your money.
    replace the word racist with bigot. some pubs do shut rather then take money yet some of them will whine about how hard things are. so forgive me if i've no sympathy for them

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

well as it would be that i should imagine its what would happen indeed

you really are talking like a mindless drone now - do you even consider the words you type? have you ever had a thought in your head that wasn't informed by some kind of ill-conceived quango mandated legislation?

I'm only on page 8 but I have to ask whether end of the road and conor think there is any elevated risk of violence at a traveller wedding or funeral over a settled funeral?

I'm finding it difficult to understand how you could call it discrimination if there is a reasonable expectation of different behaviour between travellers and settled people. A business could be set up for weddings and 1% might end in damage to the establish in damaged property and reputation. If traveller events pose a 10% risk of damage then the business might not be able to sustain that rate of damage.

Should a business be able to turn down a wedding because it can't afford to cater for the wedding and it's associated risks?

So do end of the road and conor think there is any elevated risk of violence at a traveller wedding or funeral over a settled funeral?
    to me its irrelevant. the law states travelers can't be refused because they are travelers, no matter what way the business tries to turn it or what excuse it makes, its still down to the fact its travelers or incert whatever other minority group.

have you ever had a thought in your head that wasn't informed by some kind of ill-conceived quango mandated legislation?
    yes, all of my thoughts. i decide my own opinions

It has nothing to do with them being good or bad people. If taking traveller weddings would break your business because their behaviour can reasonably be expected to be more violent, then the business should be able to refuse their custom.
    no, they shouldn't. discrimination laws are that, there are no exceptions nor can there be. if they want to refuse someone, get the evidence that person is a trouble maker and bring it to court to get permission from a judge to refuse them. no evidence no permission

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

to me its irrelevant. the law states travelers can't be refused because they are travelers, no matter what way the business tries to turn it or what excuse it makes, its still down to the fact its travelers or incert whatever other minority group.

So what would you do if a group of travellers set up camp outside your home & while there the kids were causing trouble going in on your property. Hassling your wife etc
    How would you feel then?

The main difference between traveller weddings and settled weddings is that there is no invite required for travellers. Your average settled wedding goes off without much trouble because if the happy couple have any sworn enemies they tend not to invite them, thus avoiding the much feared "cultural fracas"!
    That's not the case with our more malodourous travelling brethren - half the guests want the other half dead - throw in a bucket load of alcohol and a sprinkling of slash hooks - it's never going to end well.
    Anyone who says otherwise has most likely never had to deal with them. Their reputation for aggression, thievery and general assholery is not based on thin air. The majority of people are not racist in my opinion - but neither are they blind. If I was running the hotel - no way would I book their weddings - It's not racism, it's economics. Even if only 1 in 10 end in disaster (at a guess I'd say it's actually more than 1 in 2), that 1 negates all the profits you'd made from the other 9. If there's no money it - it's stupid to be doing it, any business that operates differently is doomed!
    discrimination comes before economics.
    The main difference between traveller weddings and settled weddings is that there is no invite required for travellers. Your average settled wedding goes off without much trouble because if the happy couple have any sworn enemies they tend not to invite them, thus avoiding the much feared "cultural fracas"!
    That's not the case with our more malodourous travelling brethren - half the guests want the other half dead - throw in a bucket load of alcohol and a sprinkling of slash hooks - it's never going to end well.
    Anyone who says otherwise has most likely never had to deal with them. Their reputation for aggression, thievery and general assholery is not based on thin air. The majority of people are not racist in my opinion - but neither are they blind. If I was running the hotel - no way would I book their weddings - It's not racism, it's economics. Even if only 1 in 10 end in disaster (at a guess I'd say it's actually more than 1 in 2), that 1 negates all the profits you'd made from the other 9. If there's no money it - it's stupid to be doing it, any business that operates differently is doomed!
    discrimination comes before economics. economics is no excuse and using it to discriminate should also end in a shut down indefinitely of your business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

no, they shouldn't. discrimination laws are that, there are no exceptions nor can there be. if they want to refuse someone, get the evidence that person is a trouble maker and bring it to court to get permission from a judge to refuse them. no evidence no permission

Kinda difficult when firstly members of that community have a strange difficulty with finding their way to court house's unless it benefits them financially. Secondly they also have a rather difficult time providing their real names for many things including legal proceedings so tracing back if one of them is a trouble maker or has a history of violence or criminal record can be quite difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,328 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

It's either sue for money or steal money with them. Certainly not work for money.

Yeah, **** the potential cost of repairs/lost business to the private business owner who will have to deal with these "people".

In fact let's just fine them if they do close their business to stop it from being wrecked by these animals!

good idea.

Want to be treated without "discrimination"? Act like a normal person then.

whats a "normal person" entitled to be treated without discrimination, crack down hard on those who discriminate using legislation and other tools.
    People are starting to tire of the fact that certain sections of society (who contribute nothing to said society) are seen as being above reproach whilst they thumb their noses at everyone else.

they are tiring of something that isn't true. only deluded gullible idiots see the myth that certain sections of society, some of who like some in our community, don't contribute to society, are above reproach whilst they thumb their noses at everyone else. we have a court system and a police force to deal with all who break the law

Help!!!! wrote: »
    So what would you do if a group of travellers set up camp outside your home & while there the kids were causing trouble going in on your property. Hassling your wife etc
    How would you feel then?
    thats what the police and courts are there for. if they refuse to deal with it i keep going higher up until they do as its what i pay them to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

thats what the police and courts are there for. if they refuse to deal with it i keep going higher up until they do as its what i pay them to do

You know damn well the second police go near them they shout discrimination and pavee point get involved meaning the guards get stopped from touching them and lengthy legal battle ensues. Also theres very likely "retribution" caused in the immediate vicinity to whoever they think was involved with calling the gardai

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

MOD
    I'm closing this thread, the topic is no longer being talked about, numerous other topics are being discussed including an incident at a hotel.
    There are also some remarks which have crossed the line or are at least stepping on it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement