Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traveller sues hotel for not having enough security for wedding

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

seamus wrote: »
    No, I don't think so. The comments of a single traveller in a court case wouldn't be that wide-reaching.

However, it might mean there is provision for hotels to include expensive security services as part of a wedding package, or ask for a five-figure security deposit for traveller weddings.

I can see how discrimination of this kind could be defensible by claiming that a traveller wedding is "high-risk" and therefore they're justified in asking for a large refundable deposit.

It was an expert on the connors side that said “fracas” as being “part and parcel of Traveller weddings”. not an individual traveller
    What constitutes an expert in that regard ive no idea:eek:

I wonder what would happen if someone outside of court was quoted as saying this stuff was part and parcel of traveller weddings.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I wonder what would happen if someone outside of court was quoted as saying this stuff was part and parcel of traveller weddings.

Well really the person bringing the case is inferring this is the case by saying sufficient security should have been present due to the type of event.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

whiskeyman wrote: »
    I wonder if there's a market for novelty inflatable slashhooks, pitchforks etc... at these weddings...
    Maybe in 100 years time it'll be part of wedding custom to have mock-traveller brawls at every wedding, just like in Romania where the grooms family "kidnap" the bride http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2197785/There-goes-bride-The-bizarre-Romanian-custom-staging-mock-kidnappings-weddings.html

• Registered Users Posts: 20,004 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

If these fracas are part and parcel of a traveller wedding, is it OK to charge travellers more to host the wedding? Same question with damage deposit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭abff

Sleepy wrote: »
    Expecting morals from lawyers? That's more naieve than the hotel owner!

Not at all. I was just expressing a wish that there was a system in place to punish them for taking on such cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭abff

Eh, money ?

you can't really tell if it is frivolous until you've actually looked into the details

Fair enough. But looking into the details is one thing; actually going to court is another. And appealing it to a higher court is yet another.

While I know there's no way that the law is going to be changed to make lawyers liable for the other side's costs when they take on vexatious, frivolous cases, at the very least they could bring in a requirement that nothing would be paid to the losing side's lawyer in such cases until all the other side's costs have been discharged in full.

I know - it's not gonna happen. But I can dream, can't I?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,136 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Doesn't this leave the door wide open now for all traveller weddings christening parties funerals and other occasions to be refused by any hotel, pub, club or other hostelry due to the likelihood that there will be a breach of the peace because it is "part and parcel of travellerweddings"?

It'd be the opposite. If the judge had thought that there was a serious risk he might have found in favor of the traveler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

It's terrible to see undercover racists yet again causing trouble at a traveler social event in order to discredit the community.

abff wrote: »
    If it was possible to put a system in place whereby any lawyer who agreed to take on a frivolous, vexatious case which was doomed to fail would become liable for paying the other side's costs, the number of such cases would fall dramatically.

This case was not dismissed for being frivolous or vexatious.

To make lawyers responsible for losing cases is ridiculous, like making doctors liable for patients who don't succeed in getting better. Of course they may be, if there is negligence, but not fir simply taking on a matter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭silverfeather

Why not just say man sues? What has his ethnic background got to do with it? 'Man Sues'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭SeanW

Why not just say man sues? What has his ethnic background got to do with it? 'Man Sues'.
    Sure. Conceal the key facts of the case, hide the cause and the explanation for the whole incident, just to serve some liberal leftist agenda.

SeanW wrote: »
    Sure. Conceal the key facts of the case, hide the cause and the explanation for the whole incident, just to serve some liberal leftist agenda.
    I am not taking that post seriously. No matter how much you protest. It's hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

SeanW wrote: »

A person's ethnic background is not a key fact.

Except that the "ethnicity" of the guests, including the plaintiff, is a key part of the case since that is why there apparently should have been more security.

Except that the "ethnicity" of the guests, including the plaintiff, is a key part of the case since that is why there apparently should have been more security.
    The f*ckin Irish I tells ya..

His ethnicity has nothing to do with it. The hotel was vindicated and found not liable.

Man sued and lost .../ end of story.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Did the hotel have to pay costs?

What's amazing is that not only did this get to a court but was appealed to the high court!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

His ethnicity has nothing to do with it. The hotel was vindicated and found not liable.

A core part of his case was that traveller weddings are more violent than settled weddings, therefore the hotel should have had enhanced security.

The fact that he is a traveller is key to the whole matter.

RayM wrote: »

The traveller made his ethnicity part of the case. He got a security expert to testify that 'this type of fracas is part and parcel of a traveller wedding'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭SeanW

RayM wrote: »
    Wedding receptions don't usually descend into mass riots. There would have to be a reason. Sure enough, the reports indicate the reason. Indeed, the reason why the reception descended into chaos was explained by the plaintiff as the key to his case.
    You should write for the Guardian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

Ever worked traveller weddings, functions, dealt with them in hospitality ?

Long be the days when I had to hold "500 euro notes" under the light at the hotel I worked in when they would buy a round of drinks at the guest bar. Lo and behold they were always counterfeit. Don't even get me started on the weddings ....

A core part of his case was that traveller weddings are more violent than settled weddings, therefore the hotel should have had enhanced security.

It may have been key to the decision by the Plaintiff to proceed.

Clearly it was not key to the decision.

The decision would have been the same had the victim been old, young, Irish, not Irish, traveller, not traveller, gay, straight or whatever. What the Plaintiff was obviously trying to do was to use his traveller status to suggest the duty of care increased, this was rejected.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

The traveller made his ethnicity part of the case. He got a security expert to testify that 'this type of fracas is part and parcel of a traveller wedding'.

Some people don't simply want to hear it. It ain't politically correct, so hush up and embrace the tummy warming diversity you've all been gifted in the form of riotous traveller functions.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

I took to replying after taking the word traveller out of if and it seemed like a stupid case of suing culture in America .

Been in that hotel for a function found the family run business to be a lovely people . So sad.

Some people don't simply want to hear it. It ain't politically correct, so hush up and embrace the tummy warming diversity you've all been gifted in the form of riotous traveller functions.

Again, it was a core part of his case...but clearly not a core part of the decision.

This happens all the time. In many different cases. It was obviously fundamental to the case of the plaintiff, a particular duty of care existed because of the nature of the guests. The Judge rejected this.

Again, it was a core part of his case...but clearly not a core part of the decision.

This happens all the time. In many different cases. It was obviously fundamental to the case of the plaintiff, a particular duty of care existed because of the nature of the guests. The Judge rejected this.

It was a core part of the case so it's relevant to mention.

I'm not any kind of expert but the element of a case which I find interesting are

The plaintiff's argument
    The defence argument
    The point of law being contested
    The outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,991 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

And they wonder why hotels won't take traveller weddings.
    because the hotels can get away with it. shut a few of them down and bann the owners from holding any similar licences and we'l see then

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭Ficheall

What has his gender got to do with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,991 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Doesn't this leave the door wide open now for all traveller weddings christening parties funerals and other occasions to be refused by any hotel, pub, club or other hostelry due to the likelihood that there will be a breach of the peace because it is "part and parcel of travellerweddings"?
    i wouldn't think so. discrimination laws still apply i should think

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Massimo Cassagrande

I had my wedding reception at Lumville. Lovely spot. No rows at mine, oddly enough. Delighted this chap lost his case.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement