Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adult Scout leader

Options
  • 07-06-2008 1:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

I'm interested in becoming an adult scout leader and was wondering can I actually do this considering I was never an actual scout? If I can become a scout leader can anyone give me a bit of info on how I can become one and who do I apply to? Would I have to do a skills and leadership course beforehand?

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Why are you interested, what's motivating you?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i'm going back to leader i think in a few months, was scout for years then jumped ship. kinda wanna go back now, tho the structure is all changed now :(. you need to do a leader course, think thats it

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Child protection is a Big thing. are you willing to allow the police do a background check on you?

If the answer is yes? The its quite easy.

Most aspects of the "job" are covered by training and evening courses.

Ask your local troup if you can observe, you may find that its not for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Eoghanacht wrote:
    I'm interested in becoming an adult scout leader and was wondering can I actually do this considering I was never an actual scout? If I can become a scout leader can anyone give me a bit of info on how I can become one and who do I apply to? Would I have to do a skills and leadership course beforehand?
    Drop Ronny or AS a PM and we'll explain any of that training courses/ child protection/ background check stuff if you like.
    i'm going back to leader i think in a few months, was scout for years then jumped ship. kinda wanna go back now, tho the structure is all changed now :(. you need to do a leader course, think thats it
    Where are you thinking of going back to? If back to Blackrock, then they could do with the help. Quite sparse on leaders at the minute from what Ronny hears.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Where are you thinking of going back to? If back to Blackrock, then they could do with the help. Quite sparse on leaders at the minute from what Ronny hears.

i bumped into one of the current leaders the other day in blackrock park and he asked me bout it, was telling me theres a whole new structure that they are running now, ages all changed and what not, something new and they are trialling it or something, could be a new thread topic by the sounds of it. Was thinking bout it, what crew is left i'd know?

• Advertisement

You'll know a good few of the faces that are still around. And obviously a couple of others you've probably never met, but a good bunch overall.

And yeah, might start a topic on the new age ranges/ programme. There's a good discussion already ongoing on scouts.ie, but it might be interesting to see other people's views. I'll start a thread when I get a chance.

You'll know a good few of the faces that are still around. And obviously a couple of others you've probably never met, but a good bunch overall.

And yeah, might start a topic on the new age ranges/ programme. There's a good discussion already ongoing on scouts.ie, but it might be interesting to see other people's views. I'll start a thread when I get a chance.

<SNIP>

<SNIP>
    Yes to Q1.

No to Q2 (I think), I only saw her about two weeks ago in Blackrock, but I'm a bit out of the loop these days so I could be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Kidd-o

hows this going for everyone?? i just sent away my own vetting forms last week

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Shoie

Hi all

I am in Blackrock at the moment, not sure how this threat turned to us though?

Anyway we are one of the pilot groups for the new programme, passed at last national council.

At present we have two Tracker Sections (aged 1st class to 9 years), one Explorer Section (aged 10 to 13), one Discovery Section (aged 14 to 16) and a Rover Section (aged 17 to 20) operating. The plan is to open a second Explorer section and maybe a third Tracker section in September. We have a full complement of leaders for existing sections but would never turn down more help and will have to recruit new leaders for the new sections.

The above names and age ranges are those we ran for the pilot and in the light of last National Council will probably run until a decision is finally made at next National Council.

If a new thread is started on the new programme I would have no problem letting you know our experiences and thoughts.

PM me if you want details on the Group.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 KeithJRyan

I am interested in becoming a scout leader too, I did scouts all the way from beavers to scouts then left due to leaving cert, college etc. I'm from the charleville area. Anyone know of someone I could contact about becoming one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

If you go to scouts.ie you can find a local group: http://www.scouts.ie/join_today/group_locator.html
    Get in touch and meet with the group leader and take it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

KeithJRyan wrote: »
    I am interested in becoming a scout leader too, I did scouts all the way from beavers to scouts then left due to leaving cert, college etc. I'm from the charleville area. Anyone know of someone I could contact about becoming one?

Just sending you a message now

Advertisement